Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 7:53:31 AM EDT
A few minutes ago, some woman from the local television station comes into the range, carrying her camera, and just starts unpacking gear. I went out on the counter, and asked her if I could help her.

She says she wants some shots of people shooting firearms for a story they're doing on the new Castle doctrine law that goes into effect tomorrow here in Florida.

I tell her quite politely that I am not comfortable with her filming any of my patrons or employees, and politely ask her to leave.

She says that the guy at the gunshop down the way said she could get footage down here. I then politely inform her that he does not run this business, and that no one asked my consent before bringing camera equipment inside. I then politely restate the fact that I am not in any way comfortable with having any of my patrons or employees filmed.

By now she's getting this snippy tone of voice, and trying to reiterate that she "doesn't want to film the whole business, just some people shooting, and that our business name will not be mentioned."

I have to again, more firmly, invite her to leave. A third time.  She finally complied, taking her equipment and her increasingly dismal attitude with her.

Having dealt with these people before at a former employer, I know that she has no control over what happens with the footage she takes, nor over what will be said on the broadcast. Why is it so hard for these people to understand the term 'no?' This is my private business. You were told to come here by someone completely unaffiliated with it. You did not ask anyone's permission before you offloaded your crap, and began unpacking it.

WTF?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]

To be fair,

(1) it's not her fault if some other guy told her it was okay, and she misunderstood or something - and perhaps legitimately believed that she had been given persmission or something

(2) she may just be doing her job - in that some higher-up told her to get some footage of "people shooting at a range" and she was just trying to convince you.  

Not trying to excuse anything - but she may just be a working gal who was trying hard to do her job.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I think a call to the gunshop is needed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe ask her if you could film her shooting!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
To be fair,

(1) it's not her fault if some other guy told her it was okay, and she misunderstood or something - and perhaps legitimately believed that she had been given persmission or something

(2) she may just be doing her job - in that some higher-up told her to get some footage of "people shooting at a range" and she was just trying to convince you.  

Not trying to excuse anything - but she may just be a working gal who was trying hard to do her job.

Oh, no. I completely understand this. And I sympathize with the fact that she was trying to get her job done. It in no way really made me angry or anything, and I was as polite and professional as could be the whole time. I fully realize that she has no control over what the bossman handed her to film today. If she had stayed longer, I was actually going to pass her a couple cards for the other ranges in the area, so that she could contact them and see if they would be more amenable to her filming there.

Perhaps I understated her attitude, though.  By the second time I asked her, she seemed to be put off and offended by the fact that her camera was not welcome on my premises. Almost like she thought she had a right to be there because someone said she could. She didn't seem to be able to fathom that someone might not want to be videotaped.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah, rent her a gun and let her film herself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Already done.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought about that, actually, but decided against it. I didn't want to have to go back and clear the entire firing line just to placate her need to show evil firearms on the TV when talking about personal defense legislation.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Was she hot?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And catch her with a smile on her face while shooting a gun.  You've got to be kidding me, right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#12]
They are friggin brainwashed in Journalism school that they are somehow "MORE Righteous" than everyone else because they are reporters!!

In College I had gotten used to the local reporters just telling the story from a distance in auto accidents etc.

Where i went to college the Reporters felt the need to get close up shots of  the belleding or deceased victims, One time i had the Jaws of life knew where the Camera man was standing right behind me and swung around with the jaws so fast it knocked the camera out of his hands and busted it on the roadway.

I just said "Oops! Sucks to be you!"
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To be fair,

Oh, no. I completely understand this. And I sympathize with the fact that she was trying to get her job done. It in no way really made me angry or anything, and I was as polite and professional as could be the whole time. I fully realize that she has no control over what the bossman handed her to film today. If she had stayed longer, I was actually going to pass her a couple cards for the other ranges in the area, so that she could contact them and see if they would be more amenable to her filming there.

Perhaps I understated her attitude, though.  By the second time I asked her, she seemed to be put off and offended by the fact that her camera was not welcome on my premises. Almost like she thought she had a right to be there because someone said she could. She didn't seem to be able to fathom that someone might not want to be videotaped.

Got it.  No reason for you to have to put up with a crappy attitude on her part AFTER you told her the score.  She should have been the one to ask you if you might be able to suggest a different location.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I think an easier question would be "What is right with the media?"

That would be a very, very short list.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Was she hot?

Kinda.  A little on the skinny side.

She was more hot when she started to get snippy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Got it.  No reason for you to have to put up with a crappy attitude on her part AFTER you told her the score.  She should have been the one to ask you if you might be able to suggest a different location.

Exactly.  The minute it came out of my mouth, it was like i'd kicked sand in her face, or killed her puppy.

I realize she has a job to do. But having dealt with these folks in the past, I know full well that she has just as little control over what is said and done with her footage as she does in what she'll be told to film on a given day. Regardless of her assurances that nothing would come of it, I am not going to consent to my business and customers possibly getting a 6:00 News Surprise.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#17]
The media is "Stuck on stupid."

Bilster
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They are friggin brainwashed in Journalism school that they are somehow "MORE Righteous" than everyone else because they are reporters!!

In College I had gotten used to the local reporters just telling the story from a distance in auto accidents etc.

Where i went to college the Reporters felt the need to get close up shots of  the belleding or deceased victims, One time i had the Jaws of life knew where the Camera man was standing right behind me and swung around with the jaws so fast it knocked the camera out of his hands and busted it on the roadway.

I just said "Oops! Sucks to be you!"

I will buy you a beer next time I'm in Pennsyltucky!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already done.

What gunshop made that statement?  If they're in Pinellas County, I know who it is.

Since I do a ton of volunteer work for NRA, I get calls all the time from the local range here to come in and talk to the media.  My standard answer is "NO".

I will not give them fuel to add to their fire.  They lie, and I refuse to be a party to their agenda.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#20]
IMNSHO....

Allowing her to "film" would be aiding the enemy.

You were 110% correct in kicking her ass to the curb.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Should have told her the sewers wouldn't be able to handle all the blood running through the streets and people would start gunfights over parking spaces.

That's what they believe and want to hear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top