Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2006 5:30:52 AM EDT
Going home last night about 1am.  I see a cop behind me lit up with siren in the fast lane going close to 100mph..I pull over and slow down. After he passes I resume..A few minutes later as I'm exiting one highway for another (single lane exit) I see another cop behind me moving at about the same rate of speed with no lights/siren..I figure he's probably going to the same incident.  This time moving over is not so simple because the shoulder is dark, narrow, and rocky with a sign and a guardrail coming up..I do it anyway but I was pissed about the lack of warning.  I imagine I could have waited for safer conditions but they were about 20 secs away.  How would you have handled it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Lock up the brakes and DRAW DOWN®

J/K

I would just pull over and let the man do his job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Stand your ground.  Be ignorant and block him!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yielding to ALL emergency vehicles is always a good idea.

Of course but it was pretty hairy getting my truck off the highway in a hurry like that..If I had had my kids with me I probably would have done it differently
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Isn't it policy to kill the lights and siren when you get close to the scene of a crime in progress?

Common scense sez "GET OUT OF THE WAY!" Hell get out of the way of a civilian on his way to the hospital ER that has a passenger in need of help.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Gave room for a Michigan State Trooper to pass going up a hill on a double yellow just yesterday.   Same situation.  Fast moving & closing from behind, guard rail, narrow shoulder & I moved to the right as far as I could.  He waved after he passed.

MSP is the class act in LE here in MI.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
You can always just slow down and start pulling off to the side so he can see oncoming traffic - if it's safe to pass he will at that point. You don't have to slam on the brakes when you see our lights!!

Thank you for being observant and even SEEING the car behind you. I can't tell you how many times I've been lit up on the way to a priority 1 call and people are just driving on their merry way, doing the speed limit in the fast lane.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#8]
no lights, no siren mean you don't have to move, it's just a regular taxpayer funded car.
lights and/or siren on make it an emergency vehicle.
if he's running 100mph with no lights, then i would probalby make a complaint.  I'm sure it will just come down to "administrative procedures", but it's still crap.
It's not safe and it's not protecting.

IBTPSA
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Isn't it policy to kill the lights and siren when you get close to the scene of a crime in progress?

Common scense sez "GET OUT OF THE WAY!" Hell get out of the way of a civilian on his way to the hospital ER that has a passenger in need of help.

In most situations yes but like I said (twice) getting off the road was a dangerous at that moment.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine was in the left (passing lane) on the freeway. A cop came up all blazes behind him without his lights on. The right lane was full of traffic so my friend sped up so he could move over and let he LEO by. He got a ticket for doing 80 in a 65 even after he explained to the JBT his motive for speeding. I'm not going out of my way to get/stay in front of a cop but if they aren't burning the cherries they should be driving at a safe speed.

-JTP
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:16:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've found yeilding to anyone doing 100 mph a good idea.

Yeah no shit

Check this out: youtube.com/watch?v=uA9mNRWZLSI
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#13]
My father was mowing the lawn and I was sitting on my bike in front of him.
I didnt move thinking he would turn.
He did stop, Picked up a rock and said "Catch"
Winged the rock at me and hit me in the chest and knocked me off the bike.
I looked up at him and he said "Next time you see something big and heavy coming at you real fast move the fuck out of the way"
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can always just slow down and start pulling off to the side so he can see oncoming traffic - if it's safe to pass he will at that point. You don't have to slam on the brakes when you see our lights!!

Thank you for being observant and even SEEING the car behind you. I can't tell you how many times I've been lit up on the way to a priority 1 call and people are just driving on their merry way, doing the speed limit in the fast lane.

Doc

There's been once or twice I've been on the Interstate doing 80 in a 70 and a Trooper is right on my ass.  One came flying up like a mothafucker one day, was probably doing 95 while I was passing someone.  As I was getting ready to merge onto the right lane after I passed them, I noticed the cop was on my ass.....so I sped up a little and got by the person and they just kept going.

Also, I've had a Sheriff come upon me fast on a 2lane blacktop highway with no lights/sirens on.  I wont pull over if they dont have lights/sirens on.  I will continue to do my speed/speed limit.
Like was said, until they have lights/sirens on, they're just another vehicle.

Now, having said that, that is for LEO's.  Ambulance is another story...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#16]
two words .... BRAKE CHECK!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Pull over when and if its safe to do so.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#18]
How far ahead could you see at that moment? Could he use the passing lane safely?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#19]
One question you should ask yourself is this:

If you were getting the shit beat out of you, how fast would you want them to drive?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sure, somewhere a cop is in on the ground on the side of the road with one guy on top of him hitting him in the head with a pry bar and a second guy is trying to get his pistol out of his holster, be sure to try to slow down any responding patrol cars that don't have their lights on as much as possible, maybe if you can help two gang members make a young police officer's wife a widow they'll be more careful to put their lights on next time.

... and somewhere a drama queen is on the Internet...

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I looked up at him and he said "Next time you see something big and heavy coming at you real fast move the fuck out of the way"

A fathers wisdom. There really is no substitute.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't be a PIA.  Let him pass.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In most situations yes but like I said (twice) getting off the road was a dangerous at that moment.

Right I didn't mean eat a guard rail. Go as far right as is safe for you. If you gotta go 100yrds to yield do that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Is Friday idiot day on ARFCOM?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
no lights, no siren mean you don't have to move, it's just a regular taxpayer funded car.
if he's running 100mph with no lights, then i would probalby make a complaint.  I'm sure it will just come down to "administrative procedures", but it's still crap.

IBTPSA

Absolutely.  If this officer is headed for your home because your wife called 911 about an instruder attempting to rape your daughter, by all means file a fucking complaint about the police trying to get there too quickly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I would pull over, but it really pisses me off when cops do this.  SUre they may be in a hurry, but by not using their lights they are putting your life in danger also.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I would pull over, but it really pisses me off when cops do this.  SUre they may be in a hurry, but by not using their lights they are putting your life in danger also.

If you saw him and moved over, you are no longer in danger.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I suggest some of you guys stop beating your chests long enough to look up your state's definition of an "emergency vehicle".

(Hint:  It's considered one whether it's moving or sitting still, lights on or off)
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I just woke up from mid shift.  Is it Friday?  I need to get the boat ready to go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you saw him and moved over, you are no longer in danger.

Anytime a car comes up FAST on my tail at 100mph I am being put in danger.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sure, somewhere a cop is in on the ground on the side of the road with one guy on top of him hitting him in the head with a pry bar and a second guy is trying to get his pistol out of his holster, be sure to try to slow down any responding patrol cars that don't have their lights on as much as possible, maybe if you can help two gang members make a young police officer's wife a widow they'll be more careful to put their lights on next time.

... and somewhere a drama queen is on the Internet...

Bullshit. Met a guy in bar watching a high school hockey game two years ago. He mentioned he was a police officer, buddy I hunt with was in the same department. He pulled a car over both guys got out of the car, he started wrestling around with them, they got him on the ground, one on top punching him and the second trying to get his gun out, he had radioed when they were wrestling around for help.

The guy I hunt with was nearby, when he got there, flying down the road as fast as his patrol car could go, they still had the guy on the ground and one guy had his hand on the officer's pistol trying to get it out, if he hadn't of shown up the first cop would have been in some serious shit.

I asked my buddy about it later and he confirmed the story.

The responding cop probably had his lights on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I suggest some of you guys stop beating your chests long enough to look up your state's definition of an "emergency vehicle".

(Hint:  It's considered one whether it's moving or sitting still, lights on or off)

Texas Transportation Code Chapter 546.  Specifically 546.004 does not require police operating an emergency vehicle "for law enforcement purposes" to operate any audible or visual signals.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Failure to yield to an emergency vehicle is a summonsable offense in NYC.

Even if their lights are off?

Isn't that what this thread is about?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Personally, I let a cop pass me whether his lights are on or not.  I like to drive at about +10 over the speed limit on the highway,  so the last thing I want is a cop behind me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

IBTPSA

This proves the point that some aer just here to bash.

There are a lot of damn good reasons to not go lights and siren:

1. People are idiots, I had someone stop on the interstate in the left lane when I had my lights on.... toward the end I would only use warnign devices for clearing an intersection,its far safer to just pass people and not have them moving all over the road since somehow pull to the right if it is safe is to complex for the vast number of drivers.

2. Responding to a crime in progress, you sure want to give the bad guys warning that you in range

3. I am sure that you want to hear a siren every single night as I blow through your residential area at 0200

4. I coiuld go on and on

Look I am no thin blue liner at all but some of the shit that gets complained about is just crazy.

ETA:

If I don't have lights on I don't expect you to do anything I will move to get arround you
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Personally, I let a cop pass me whether his lights are on or not.  I like to drive at about +10 over the speed limit on the highway,  so the last thing I want is a cop behind me.

Same here, although my + number is a bit higher.

If you are paying attention, you can tell when a cop is in a hurry to get somewhere.  It's not too difficult to getout of his way.

Knowing what is going on around you is a KEY part of operating a motor vehicle.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Look I am no thin blue liner at all but some of the shit that gets complained about is just crazy.

Discussing a safe way for people to be on the road is crazy?

How is the cop affecting traffic when he is traveling in traffic at 100mph?

Is he helping or hurting safety on the road when he does that?

Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Thursday and Friday to be exact!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.

driving 100+  on a divided highway or a interstate is impacting you safety or rights how?

it's not like anybody would be running 100+ downtown nyc w no lights.  

Is distracting drivers with lights and siren helping safety if you are not traveling counter to traffic?

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Turning the lights on in an emergency vehicle will lower the IQ of everyone around you in traffic and create a pack of cars moving at 55 MPH that blocks the road.  Everyone who sees it thinks they are being pulled over and slows down...

There are situations where traffic is light and it is safer for everyone if the emergency vehicle responds quickly, but with no lights or sirens.  

People just get plain stupid around lit up police cars...staring at the car and not the road in front of them.

How many times to you drive by an accident where a police car is on the side of the road with no blockage of traffic and yet everyone slows down to look...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#47]
No legal obligation to yield if emergency equipment is not activated , but not a bad idea. Its pretty standard to kill the emergency stuff as you get close to a scene and since you saw the first vehicle all lit up, its a good guess where the second car was going.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.

Naa, the LEO is just "Sticking it to the man". That should get him a few high fives from the ARFCOM bunch and make it OK...

I can tell you that running "Hot" with overheads and siren just causes people to vapor lock. They do stupid shit like look in thier rear view, and jump on thier brakes. I can get where I need to go much quicker, and SAFER by just turning on my headlights, and moving through traffic. Much less confusion and panic by the motoring public. The exception to this policy is when running through an intersection. Even with lights and siren, I hate doing it. Too many 100,000 watt stereo systems, and cell phones plugged into peoples heads. They don't hear or see shit.

This may come as a shock to some here, but if you see me hauling ass to get somewhere, it's because the shit has hit the fan for somebody. They need me like 5 minutes ago. It may be another LEO, or maybe your significant other. What ever the case, don't be a jerk. Just move over and let the man get where he's going.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

driving 100+  on a divided highway or a interstate is impacting you safety or rights how?

it's not like anybody would be running 100+ downtown nyc w no lights.  

Is distracting drivers with lights and siren helping safety if you are not traveling counter to traffic?

So you are impling that driving on the freeway at 100mph is safe.

Then why am I not allowed to do it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Naa, the LEO is just "Sticking it to the man". That should get him a few high fives from the ARFCOM bunch and make it OK...

I can tell you that running "Hot" with overheads and siren just causes people to vapor lock. They do stupid shit like look in thier rear view, and jump on thier brakes. I can get where I need to go much quicker, and SAFER by just turning on my headlights, and moving through traffic. Much less confusion and panic by the motoring public. The exception to this policy is when running through an intersection. Even with lights and siren, I hate doing it. Too many 100,000 watt stereo systems, and cell phones plugged into peoples heads. They don't hear or see shit.

This may come as a shock to some here, but if you see me hauling ass to get somewhere, it's because the shit has hit the fan for somebody. They need me like 5 minutes ago. It may be another LEO, or maybe your significant other. What ever the case, don't be a jerk. Just move over and let the man get where he's going.

Thank you for your explanation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top