Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/20/2005 2:10:07 PM EDT
Here's my story.

I was in NYC with my Grandmother for the Worlds Fair of 1964. I was just a child. We were standing outside of a movie theater somewhere in Manhattan waiting in line to buy tickets to the movie. There were two men standing about 10 ft from us (not in line) and they were arguing. One of the men pulled out a knife and stabbed the other guy about 5 times, and then ran away. The guy fell to the ground and screamed in agony for a minute and then he stopped moving. No one really helped him. A Policeman got there very quickly and told my Grandmother the guy was dead. I just remember the cop saying "get your kid out of here".
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Was called to the scene of a suicide atempt/threat.  Upon our arrival, which was just seconds after the police the guys pulls out his gun and shoots himnself in the head right in front of all of us.  The wierd part was that he did not die right away, he actually looked at me as I was trying to keep his airway open and I could tell for at least a few more seconds that he was still conscious.  That or the old woman who haloemt and I found that had been stabbed well over 100+ times.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple of toss ups.

Dead guy in mobile home who had been there for two weeks with no A/C in middle of August. Never got the smell out of that uniform.

A DUI crash where the driver and occupant both went through the windshield.

Guy who committed sucide by stepping in front of car going 60mph.

Lady stabbed 32 times by her husband.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
my sister-in-law without her makeup on
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't know where to begin...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at the first Clinton inaugeration.
Alright, the most 'horrifying' thing I've seen, would probably be watching a code team work on a 90+ year old woman.  She was terminal anyway, but she didn't have a DNR, so when she coded they had to work on her.  Chest compressions on a 90 year old woman...it seems more cruel to let her live with how that's going to feel (on top of everything else).  She lasted a couple more days...not sure she ever regained conciousness.  

Jim

p.s.--I took forensic anthropology, and my definition of what is actually "horrifying" went up several thousand notches after that class.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Floater in the Mississippi River. It had been there a while, and had been a fast-food stop for the fish. Probably the rats as well.

Several bad car accidents. People through windshields, compound fractures, lots of blood.

A neighborhood kid (way back in the 80s in St. Louis) that had tried to break into his house because he lost his key and he just about amputated his left hand on broken glass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw a girl ejected out the front windshield of her car when it hit a gaurdrail. Looked like a doll being tossed out
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
i see dead people.......................they're everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a kid I saw a father and his son working under a truck lifted on a jack.   They pulled on something and the car slipped off the jack and the front of the car pinned both of them under the engine.   They both screemed, kicked and struggled for about 3 minutes before the son stopped moving and died and then about 2 minutes later the father stopped moving and died.  This was in a small town and middle of the day so most men were away at work so there was only couple old men who came to help but that car was too heavy for them to lift.  Bodies were under the car for about 3 hours before it was removed.          
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Alright, the most 'horrifying' thing I've seen, would probably be watching a code team work on a 90+ year old woman.  She was terminal anyway, but she didn't have a DNR, so when she coded they had to work on her.  Chest compressions on a 90 year old woman...it seems more cruel to let her live with how that's going to feel (on top of everything else).  She lasted a couple more days...not sure she ever regained conciousness.  

Jim

Isn't that sad.  I hate being in that spot.  I hate having to asks pt's families if they want us to do CPR/take heroic measures.  Makes me feel like an asshole, but then again I know they are delaying the obvious by no more than a few days or even hours.  I don't know how to make somer people see the argument about quality of life versus quantity of life in those situations.

Just so were all clear, I am not trying to reopen the Terry Schiavo posts here, My crew will always follow the wishes of my patients as well as their families as best as we can.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The sight of my ex-mother-in-law in a mumu and no make-up.  She was at least 400 lbs......

The horror..................the horror......................
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Doing chest compressions on a 70 year old women in cardiac arrest who was pissing and puking herself while spasming like a fish out of water. The paramedics got her back with the defib though, she walked out of the hospital.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I watched Evil Caneval [sp?] try to jump the Ceasar Palace water falls.  I knew the minute he took off he wasn't going to make it and even said so.  He crashed into the wall about 3 feet below me, I saw it coming the entire way.  There just wasn't room for him to recover.  He cleared them easily but no room after the falls to recover.

Patty
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Doing chest compressions on a 70 year old women in cardiac arrest who was pissing and puking herself while spasming like a fish out of water. The paramedics got her back with the defib though, she walked out of the hospital.

Does CPR help with shockable rhythms?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#15]
The guts of my best friend left under the folds in a guard rail that the "clean-up crew" neglected to clean up.  

A day earlier he was ejected from his truck after loosing control and caught between the vehicle and the guardrail in about a ten yard skid.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen the body of a GI with his hands tied behind his back and a wire wrapped tight around his neck. Apparently the d**** had made bets on how long he would live like that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't need to get into details.

Most of you guys have seen worse in person than I have, but still.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does CPR help with shockable rhythms?

It will at least circulate the blood and deliver some oxygen to the body. It was pretty much a 100 to 1 shot that she came out as well as she did. I'm sure SemperParatusEmt would do a better job explaining.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
The Hustler "Janet Reno" edition...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw a fat lady bend over the other night at my son's baseball game.  Her pants went down just far enough to see that she was wearing a thong.......yuck.  She had a butt that looked like 2 dogs fighting in a sleeping bag when she walked.  I almost tossed my cookies.

BTW I usta be a tow truck driver -- been to over 2000 car crashes about 10 fatals the images are starting to fade thank God.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
13 years old, collecting lumber from the remains of our duck blind on the Mississippi River after the winter Freeze I happened upon the naked body of a 23 year old woman who had went missing about 30 miles north of in the late fall.  

She was face down and the portions of her body that were exposed to air were black but the parts that were still in the ice still looked pretty normal under the circumstances.  I went back home and told my grandpa and call the Sherif.

Then also in MO when I was 16 I was taken to positively ID my fathers vehicle the day after he was killed by drunk driver.  They hadn't cleaned the car out and I saw pieces of his skull and some of his brain in the back seat.  I retrieved his watch which must have been knocked off by the impact.

Then when I was 19 living in Wesminster CO I saw the upper torso of a woman lying on the Freeway.  She was in a Corvette Convertable and had just had a rear-end collision with a Semi.

Then when I was 22 working at a Martial Arts Studio I watched a guy on a motorcycle doing about 60mph I would guess rear end a pickup truck with a camper shell that was stalled in the right lane of the intersection accross the street.  He must have been drunk as hell.  After I called the police to report the accident I went outside to see if I could help him and he was lieing on his back in the middle of the street screaming, "Did you she dat summafabisch hit me?"

The Paramedics told me he had among other injuries a broken collar bone and multiple breaks in on of his legs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]
What's the most horrifying thing you've ever seen in person?

Someone posting here while drunk!

It was like a train wreak!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The second innauguration was more HORRIFYING!...........
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I watched a family die one at a time from burns recieved in a house fire. They were standing up for a few seconds, then sitting for a few minutes, then one by one they layed down and went to sleep. The flesh was burnt from some of their arms and feet.  The bones were visible. The smell was one I will never forget.  They were talking at first but in shock.

I hated it 35 years ago and I hate it now.

ETA besides my daughter in a coma.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Not in person but that last beheading movie that was out really shook me up.

Worst thing in person was cleaning up a relatives house after she had been murdered. Scraping up your aunts brains off a floor in house that was closed up for months aint fun at all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Human decapitation. Saw it twice.

Next would be someone burning to death. Once here.

Third would be a split skull leaking out brains & fluids.

Now, did that gross you out?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay, just hearing these stories is going to mkae me have nightmares.  I can't imagine if I actually witnessed them.

The only horrifying story is one I really don't care to talk about.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I watched a family die one at a time from burns recieved in a house fire. They were standing up for a few seconds, then sitting for a few minutes, then one by one they layed down and went to sleep. The flesh was burnt from some of their arms and feet.  The bones were visible. The smell was one I will never forget.  They were talking at first but in shock.

I hated it 35 years ago and I hate it now.

ETA besides my daughter in a coma.

Jesus Christ...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Okay, just hearing these stories is going to mkae me have nightmares.  I can't imagine if I actually witnessed them.

It doesn't have anything to do with this guy and a thong, does it?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#30]
... Although I've seen more "horrific" humanitarian events since, one sticks in my mind and probably always will. Not sure why it had such an impact but it literally haunted me for months, if not years. It was quite benign by ARFCOM standards actually. I was a kid about 10 years old and us neighborhood boys were all playing tag on this kid's big-assed tree fort.

... I was being chased and I made a successful, humongous flying leap from the tree. He wasn't so lucky in the pursuit - he landed badly and suffered a horribly ugly compound fracture to his arm that even broke backward at the elbow. I nearly got sick from the sight of it and even felt somewhat responsible. It bothered me for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't have anything to do with this guy and a thong, does it?

www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/0402/19/NYHETER-19s12kennedy.jpg

No, but thanks so much for that image.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#32]
not in person, but I watched Faces of Death, all 4 videos, I was disturbed for weeks after watching those
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I was driving through atlanta about 2 years ago and had to swerve out of the HOV lane because there was a broken down pick up in the lane.  There was a guy under the hood and a kid in the truck.  I said to myself that guy is about to die.  Not 2 seconds after I said that a truck locked up his brakes behind him. I saw him hit the truck and watched the body of the guy fly into the wall.  And I couldn't imagine how the kid in the truck felt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I can understand that.  For the last 20 years or so I haven't seen much gore in real life but it always shakes you up pretty good.  Some of the stuff I have seen on Ogrish.com has left me a little taken aback.

Of the incidents that I listed the most emotionally traumatic was seeing my fathers remains in what was left of his car.   I have kept the watch all these years wrapped up in a black satin scarf in an old wooden cigar box, but it was a very long time before I was able to even tentatively probe this memory without having an emotional breakdown and bursting into tears.  

To say his death was a focal point in my life would be very accurate.  That was 26 years ago and I can't say I agree with that old saying, "Time heals all wounds."  I still miss my Dad and sometimes I still cry over having lost him.  I often wonder how my life would have been different if he hadn't killed that night.  I always imagine and feel that my life would have been better had he not been killed but who knows.

Chris, out.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#35]
a kids arm fractuctured into a "Z" ran a redlight flipped the vehicle over when hit...I'll never forget that and....

looking into my Mom's eyes laying in body bag killed by a drunk driver in Beckwourth,CA.....I remember these things.

Pay attention to what's going on people!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Too many to list, as a matter of fact I'm not even going to read anymore of these.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Women and children jumping off of a flaming ferry coming back from Saudi Arabia returning to Egypt
in '94 while aboard the USS Briscoe.  800 passengers onboard.

The captain, crew and most of the male passengers abandoned ship on the lifeboats.  We were rescuing
those we could but there was a seagoing-tug in too close that was crushing bodies against the side
of the ferry as they fell into the water.  Some hit the deck of the tug and were severely injured.
We had to literally fight w/ some of the male passengers that were trying to pass up their luggage
instead of helping the others aboard.  Sharks made quick work of any bodies left in the Red Sea.
Our CO offered a ransom to whomever could deliver the Ferry's captain to us, but the Egyptian
authorities got a hold of him first.  Don't know what became of him.

I feel guilty for not having nightmares about it, I guess my intense hatred for that Captain and crew
blocks that out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can understand that.  For the last 20 years or so I haven't seen much gore in real life but it always shakes you up pretty good.  Some of the stuff I have seen on Ogrish.com has left me a little taken aback.

Of the incidents that I listed the most emotionally traumatic was seeing my fathers remains in what was left of his car.   I have kept the watch all these years wrapped up in a black satin scarf in an old wooden cigar box, but it was a very long time before I was able to even tentatively probe this memory without having an emotional breakdown and bursting into tears.  

To say his death was a focal point in my life would be very accurate.  That was 26 years ago and I can't say I agree with that old saying, "Time heals all wounds."  I still miss my Dad and sometimes I still cry over having lost him.  I often wonder how my life would have been different if he hadn't killed that night.  I always imagine and feel that my life would have been better had he not been killed but who knows.

Chris, out.....

And to think there are those that condone drunk driving
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I wouldn't know where to begin...

+1

Dead infants, decapitations, burn victims, floaters.  

For the worst, ask a firefighter...

NorCalous
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
not in person, but I watched Faces of Death, all 4 videos, I was disturbed for weeks after watching those

+1  Just grim.

In med school trying to resuscitate a 5 y/o boy who had been beaten by his uncle.  Then posing the dead body for a police photographer.  Then watching the mother's reaction when she came into the room.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Sort of a toss-up, really.

Well, next-door neighbor boy was in a BIG hurry to get back outside and play in the pool, he was going for the door handle (screen type door, but the glass was still in the bottom part) he put his hand THROUGH the glass, cut him up pretty badly. :/ Fortunately, all "fleshwounds" and no permanent "damage" aside from scarring on his arm.

The day I woke up and realized the "black" I was "seeing" in my right eye, was it being "blind". It had just been REALLY REALLY Blurry the day before (I have MS) but I still had "shapes" and "color"... then the next day NOTHING... that was fucking horrifying and scary and a bunch of things. It was further compounded by the fact that at that time, the only things I REALLY had the "energy" to do was READ or watch TV. Pretty much everything else tired me out to quickly. Then, gradually, SOME sight returned, finally stopping at 20/1000 vision (can read 3" high letters, if I recall properly) Was told it would NEVER be better than that... but then, the docs don't know everything... (It's 20/40 now ;)

But a rough 9-10 months.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#42]
The first year I logged, we had a 9ft (on the butt) cedar export stick get hung up.  The yarder op was pretty green and on a Thunderbird TSY-255 that the shop guys had tinkered with.  We were using the strawline drum to drag few of the big sticks the skidder wouldn't grab in close.  So, when the stick stopped moving, like an idiot he throttled up hard, tagged the strawline drum and snapped the haywire (3/8in cable) like a piece of dental floss.  The frayed end came whipping back and carved a chunk out of the side of one of the guys on the landing.  Wrong place, wrong time.  Donny bled to death right there.  There was nothing we could do.  It will haunt me until the end of my days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#43]
That one, oddly enough, got me wondering. I mean, I've seen people eviscerated by machinegun fire, but I didn't feel a damned thing.

I guess overall, I must have led a rather sheltered life. Oh well, I won't complain.

NTM
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#44]
T-6 flat spin, two DOA.  Knees and elbows busted through flight suits, face cut in two by panel.  Very very nasty extracation.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#45]

I got some "memories"...but YIKES!! Some of you have some real nighmare memories!!!

I was at the scene of a police chase that ended with the bad guy IN A STOLEN STAKE TRUCK blowing a red at approx 60 mph and t-boning an S-10 pick-up on the passenger side.  There was a 10 year old in the passenger seat.  

When I got there (to the scene), the stake truck throttle was stuck and the rear tire was burning/squealing on the pavement as the truck tried (like it was alive and pissed) to push further into the S-10 cab.  Smoking like a bitch.  

There were about 15 officers around it and I figured I would be more in the way than a help getting into the mob, so I started directing traffic as it was real snarled up as you'd imagine....Another officer told me about the 10 yr old and asked if I went upto the truck to see.  I said NO WAY.  I knew that would be an image I would never get out of my head.

One of my fellow officers was laying inside the vehicle holding the kids hand and talking to him as rescue worked to free him.  He died in the pick-up prior to being freed.

I am SOOOO glad I didn't go over to that vehicle and look.  Somthing to think about...sometimes it is better to turn away if looking will do no good.  I could not assist that child anymore than he was being helped.  The only reason to go over to the struck vehicle would have been to get an eye full.    No thanks.

ezsixonezero

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#46]

I have other Gulf War 1 things that I've seen, but can't talk about.

CW
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#47]
My dad with slits down each of his limbs, armpit to wrist and groin to ankle, down to the bone through the muscles, also had his chest split open and heart exposed. I didn't get the joy of seeing the actual wounds as they were packed with gauze, but I could see enough to tell they were there.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:And to think there are those that condone drunk driving

Really? I haven't met too many people who say drunk driving is ok.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#49]
A Dwight Yoakum concert.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Saw the remnants of a guy who had T-Boned an S-10 on his Gixer 1100. He had caught the roof right about face level at ballistic speeds. Killed the passenger of the S-10 as well.hehe was going so fast!!!

Saw all the faces of death back when they first came out............aint the same as in real life.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top