Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 5:28:52 PM EDT
They look the same. What is the difference between the two as far as accuracy and quality? Do parts interchange? I posted this in the handgun forum but not getting any replies there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
We had this discussion the other day, does anyone have that link?

Pretty funny when non news stuff is duped!

ETA: Let me see if I can't dig it up...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We had this discussion the other day, does anyone have that link?

Pretty funny when non news stuff is duped!

ETA: Let me see if I can't dig it up...

I figured this has been brought up before; just not finding it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Biggest difference is the Taurus has a frame mounted safety (safety off is DOWN) while the Beretta has a slide-mounted safety (taking safety off is UP).  The first, in my opinion, is a much more natural movement.  Magazines are a little different as well and are NOT interchangeable.

The original Taurus PT-92s and -99s were built using Beretta machinery used to produce the 92FS in Brazil, but since Brazilians can't own 9mms, the company sold the tooling and plans to Taurus, who built pistols for sale in the US.  Taurus also has a lifetime warranty on their pistols that just can't be beat.

I've had my PT-99 going on 18 years, and put many thousands of rounds through it with only minor problems (had a pin holding the rear sight in work loose, sent it to the factory, got it back a week later).

ETA:  Some other parts are interchangeable (I understand barrels and some springs are as well), and as for accuracy I haven't been at all disappointed.  With some 115gr FMJ reloads and taking my time I can do 2" groups at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the PT92 Taurus. I bought it used for $200 and it is the most accurate handgun that I own. I never had the pleasure of owning a big Beretta so I cant compare them for you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, I have a PT-100, love it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They look the same. What is the difference between the two as far as accuracy and quality? Do parts interchange? I posted this in the handgun forum but not getting any replies there.

Not the same quality-lvel gun at all IMO. They may have all the tooling to make a 92 but they don't have the same QC.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is that discussion, somewhere along the lines of your question:
link

Author basically wanted to know the civvie equivalent of the M9, then it sort of went into the differences between the 92 beretta and the taurus version.  pics in there, too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The above link reminded me of another difference.

The slide-mounted safety on the Beretta is actually a decocker.  On the Taurus it is a 1911-style safety.  This gives you the option of carrying cocked and locked, rather than having the loooooooong double action first shot with the Beretta.  The Taurus is also a double-action pistol, so if you're crazy enough to try to slowly lower the hammer on a live round, you could even carry it that way--round chambered, hammer down, safety on.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
About $250 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a PT-99 that I sold right after I got my 92FS. The taurus is a similar looking gun for cheaper. It has a 1911 style safety as opposed to the slide mounted one on the Beretta. My taurus had a few malfunctions, most notable the screw on the rear sight ripped off one day when I was shooting putting it out of comission for a while so I could send in the sight to get a new one. Taurus's customer service is great, a lifetime warranty (of the pistol, so even if you buy it used it is covered for life). I don't know about the Beretta warranty as I haven't had to use it. The Beretta just seems better built and has never had a malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here is that discussion, somewhere along the lines of your question:
link

Author basically wanted to know the civvie equivalent of the M9, then it sort of went into the differences between the 92 beretta and the taurus version.  pics in there, too.

Thanks for the link! Some good info there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Taurus PT-99F.

As limaxray stated, the Taurus has a frame mounted safety.  The Beretta has a "decocker" on the slide.  Later Taurus (Tauri???) The PT-92AF and PT-99AF, have a safety that is Up for safe, horizontal for fire, and you press down against a spring to decock.

The barrel and locking block, recoil spring, and many other parts are interchangable.

The mags are almost interchangable.  The mag catch hole on the Taurus mags is larger.  The Beretta will accept and work with Taurus mags, but not vice-versa.

I cannot tell, from about 15 years of use, that the Taurus is of any lesser quality than the Beretta.  Mine has worked well for years, gives good accuracy, yes, about 2" at 25 yds.

My only complaint was that the beautiful uncheckered Goncalo Alvez wood (aka "South American Walnut") grips, with a little sweat and gun oil on your hands, as slippery as a greasy ice cube.  I put on some Pacmayr's and that fixed that problem.

Usual ammo is Winchester Silvertips 115 gr JHP or Federal 115 gr JHP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Beretta will accept and work with Taurus mags, but not vice-versa.

I don't know if you have had it work, but mine didn't switch out even though it looked like it should
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
My trigger was pretty crappy even by Taurus standards. Its pretty common.  But you can beat the lifetime warranty. My buddy beat the shit out of his gun and it broke.  They replaced it with a new one because they couldnt fix the old one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if you have had it work, but mine didn't switch out even though it looked like it should

I've tried for myself putting Beretta mags in my Taurus and they wouldn't lock into place or feed.  The Taurus mags locked into the Beretta, but wouldn't feed anywhere near reliably.

A_Free_Man is exactly right about the grips.  They're beautiful wood, but useless on this pistol because they're so smooth.  Hogue, Pachmayr or somehting checkered are the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
i've got one of the earlier 92AF's. I love it. the trigger pull on mine is great. Of course, it's had some wolff springs added. But i'd take it over a Beretta. I never was much for slide mounted safeties.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a early PT-99, [no decocker] besides the rear sight pin, it has been 100% since day one. I put Uncle Mike grips on it soon after I purchased it. The wood one's look nice and suck if wet. Must have been before the 94 ban as I have several Hi Caps and can't recall it being in effect when I got it. Maybe 92 or so.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've tried for myself putting Beretta mags in my Taurus and they wouldn't lock into place or feed.  The Taurus mags locked into the Beretta, but wouldn't feed anywhere near reliably.

A_Free_Man is exactly right about the grips.  They're beautiful wood, but useless on this pistol because they're so smooth.  Hogue, Pachmayr or somehting checkered are the way to go.

Tha mag catch on the Taurus is about twice the size of the Beretta's, so I can see the Taurus mag working in the Beretta but not vice versa.  An Army Colonel that now works in my company gave me his M9 mags, but they won't work in my PT-92.  I thought about cutting the notch larger...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I have successfully cut a new notch in a Sig 226 mag to make it work reliably in the Taurus.  

The mag catch is reversable.  I turned the mag button around so that I can hit it with my middle finger on the right side, rather than trying to shift my grip to catch it with my thumb on the left.

The ONLY feeding problems I have had with my Taurus were with the old Ramline magazines.  I have had no feeding problems with Taurus mags, or the modified Sig mag.  I still limit the Sig mag to range use only.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#20]
As stated before, Taurus bought the old Beretta tooling that was bing used in Brazil.  That tooling was for the 92S model.  Since that time, the two companies went there own different ways, even though they added similar features.  That's why some things like barrel interchange, and some things like mags don't.  When the 92sb-F was adopted as the M9 (and renamed the 92F), Taurus swithced to an "American" postion mag release button as well, but since the two companies were operating separately, the Taurus catch is different than the 92F/FS.  

The Taurus frame is slightly different dimesionally as well.  The PT-92/99 is normally interchangable with a 92FS as far as holsters go, but some holsters with a trigger guard retention device may not be compatible.

Think of the Taurus guns as "cousins" to the Beretta, rather than "brothers" and you pretty much have the idea.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Taurus is the way to go, nowadays. Their QC and customer service are, IMHO, better than Beretta. And, that lifetime warranty pretty much seals the deal.

I own and love my 92F, but I like the frame mounted controls of the PT, and I know having shot them they are the equal in terms of accuracy and reliability.

If I were buying new, I'd buy the Taurus in a heartbeat.

If Beretta has an edge, it's in resale value but I don't buy my guns to sell them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Taurus is the way to go, nowadays. Their QC and customer service are, IMHO, better than Beretta. And, that lifetime warranty pretty much seals the deal.

I own and love my 92F, but I like the frame mounted controls of the PT, and I know having shot them they are the equal in terms of accuracy and reliability.

If I were buying new, I'd buy the Taurus in a heartbeat.

If Beretta has an edge, it's in resale value but I don't buy my guns to sell them.

Nicely said sir!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I just bought a 92 on Friday. Gonna pick it up next monday and going straight to the range.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
About $250 bucks.

That's affirmative.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone hear know why the book that comes with the
Taurus says not to use 9 ammo with bullets larger than
115 grain ?

Is this just to protect Taurus for legal reasons and reduce
maintanence costs,or is the frame not as strong on the
Taurus PT 92 AFS ?
Is it safe to actually use +P+ ammo in them,as well as
heavier bullets ?

I've passed on some great bulk ammo deals on heavier bullets
because of that warning .

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
About $250 bucks.

+1
Taurus semi's are generally pretty good guns.  I've heard different opinions concerning their wheel-guns...mostly that they (revolvers) are lacking in the quality control department.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone hear know why the book that comes with the
Taurus says not to use 9 ammo with bullets larger than
115 grain ?

Is this just to protect Taurus for legal reasons and reduce
maintanence costs,or is the frame not as strong on the
Taurus PT 92 AFS ?
Is it safe to actually use +P+ ammo in them,as well as
heavier bullets ?

I've passed on some great bulk ammo deals on heavier bullets
because of that warning .

Thanks for any info.

Mine came with no such warning.  I have fired up to and including 147 gr Hydrashoks without problems.  I have fired +P, but not +P+.  I don't know of a warning against it.  If it is battering with certain ammo, you would want to go to a heavier recoil spring.  Wolff has various spring rates that you can try.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#28]
One's a good gun and one is a collosal piece of crap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#29]
...and the warrenty.
Taurus has the best in the business. Lifetime, transfferable is hard to beat.
We buy just about any Tuarus gun that comes into the shop as I know if there is trouble I can send it back for repairs.
We also sell alot of Taurus firearms because of that warrenty. Now with the new Taurus SA guns and the new 1911, sales will increase even more.
CH
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I like all my Taurus handguns as well but I think you are being a tad bit harsh on the Beretta

I have to say I like the safety position much better on the Taurus PT-92. I have four Taurus semi-auto handguns and after thousands of rounds of various ammo I have never yet had a FTF, FTE, stovepipe, etc. No mechanical failures either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Which one's which...?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top