Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2005 1:00:54 PM EDT

I bought a (supposedly) OEM radiator for my truck and they gave me a replacement with plastic ends.  Does this strike anyone as odd?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty common I have replaced a few OEM rads and the replacements were plastic. The good part is you are supposed to be able to use a plastic welder on them if they crack.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Pretty common I have replaced a few OEM rads and the replacements were plastic. The good part is you are supposed to be able to use a plastic welder on them if they crack.

plastic welder....?
yea...just got one..the..other..day..
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
New tech you can even get them at Harbor Commie Freight. Also good for plastic bumper cover panels and such.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have not had a problem with cars that have the plastic endtanks on them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
pretty common these days
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]
probably last as long as the original.  FWIW, I just replaced the radiator for the second time on my 20 y/o toyota truck 2 weeks ago.   Guess I'm getting 10 years average out of them
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
OEM on newer vehicles. Less stuff to rust away is good in my area.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#8]
We have had problems with the tanks cracking and leaking. I would advise an all metal radiator.
Our vehicles use either the the chevy 2.5 ltr or the 2.2 ltr engines.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

plastic welder....?
yea...just got one..the..other..day..

Yeah?  
www.dukcorp.com/us/plastic.htm
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Pure junk in its worst form.

If you can, take it back and get a metal one. Funny thing is, the metal ones are often cheaper than the plastic.

The plastic is so fragile you have to carefully cut hoses off of them or they easily break. Even shops do this, then they use cheap plastic repair kits to fix um up for now. It won't last long, but the shops figure you won't know soon enough to go after then for the goof.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Just because every repair shop is using them, doesn't mean it's good for the end-user. I personally, would stick to the metal ones.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't like how automotive corporations are installing plastic in the engine compartments.

Plastics can hold up against time and weather in a sub-harsh evironment.  In an environment where temperatures go from one extreme to the other - plastic just can't hold up.

No matter how many chemicals and stabilizers are added, plastic will get brittle with time and age in exposure to that much heat.

I'm particuarly annoyed by the plastic connectors.  Those damned things break after 3 months in the compartment.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I am leery also, but only vehicle I have that uses plastic is my 05 Silverado. I use aluminum in my 71 Firebird, and the ongoing drag car build, and well the Vdubs just don't have radiators so not really a problem there. Huffing fumes while brazing tanks sucks ass though, so maybe it is an improvement. I'll stick to the aluminum ones though, much more cooling capacity at smaller size and weight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Actually, I got the replacement at Modine, and when I went to install it I noticed that the original radiator, date stamped the year of the vehicle's manufacture, ten years and 200k later, was plastic just like the new one I put in.  I don't think I'm going to sweat this one...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Most all new cars use them. Lighter and less prone to rust.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I bought a (supposedly) OEM radiator for my truck and they gave me a replacement with plastic ends.  Does this strike anyone as odd?

metal is a better conductor.....PLASTIC IS CHEAP AND IMPORTED......buy american!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Welcome to the 21st century .

If you want a metal rad you have to buy Honda ,
domestics have been plastic and aluminum since
the early 90's
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The 1994 Dodge ton truck my dad just bought a month ago had a bad motor and in the process of taking everything apart, we took the OE radiator out and found out that it was plastic on the ends too.

I don't think it's a big deal, personally........

And I hate plastic when there is a metal alternative.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
a lot of rads can only be found in plastic now, hard to find metal ones, but the plastic stuff from modine has not given me any trouble..

or you could have howe make one up for you  $$$$$$$

Modine just shut down their plant in Emporia, KS to move production to Mexico.  There are 140 people out of jobs right now, many of whom have worked at Modine their entire adult lives.  There are no other industries in the area to take these people, most of them will have to move elsewhere to find work--away from their home town where they were born and raised.

Three years ago they employed 400.  Now the plant's closed, but somewhere in Mexico there are new jobs.  Thanks Modine.

I would avoid Modine if I were you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top