Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 1:34:25 PM EDT
Anybody have any suggestions on a good car for $6000ish? Can't be higher than $6500...

Needs to be at least a little bit sporty, an all around nice (not POS) car, and would like '96 or newer..

Anybody have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Used Honda Civic coupe.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say Honda Civic as well
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
With the execption of a Civic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Used Nissan Sentra.

Since you dont want a POS & you only want to spend about $6K, your options are pretty limited.

I guess you could get a used 1980's Mustang 5.0 which leaks oil & needs a valve job. But a smart person would get a Civic or Sentra.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 1995 Chevrolet Blazer 4x4, 4 door you can have...Just take over the payments! It looks, runs and drives EXCELLENT, plus has a lot of new parts. Never been hit.

NO MONEY DOWN...$229/mo...3 years left on loan

AND I WILL DELIVER IT =)
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Used Nissan Sentra.

Since you dont want a POS & you only want to spend about $6K, your options are pretty limited.

I guess you could get a used 1980's Mustang 5.0 which leaks oil & needs a valve job. But a smart person would get a Civic or Sentra.
View Quote

It's not for me. For the 15 (soon to be 16) year old down the street's first car.

Man, I wish I had 6k to spend when I got my first car!!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
toyota anything, honda civic, nissan sentra. just avoid american made vehicles and you'll be fine. what is that saying... "if you've ever worked in a restaurant you never wanna eat in one."
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Dodge Neon.

Doh!  Did I really say that?
Seriously though, they run OK (for the most part), handle OK (reminds me of a go-cart), not terribly sporty, but not a "grandma's car" either (that said, my grandma drove a vette for years, sold it right before I got my license -- DAMN)

FOTBR

edited for grammer
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
"96" may be pushing it, but you can find VERY nice early 90's BMW's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a used Buick Lesabre for a lot less than that, in great shape, low miles.  Nice low-key car to drive to gun shows in.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a Yugo.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
1997 VW Golf Mk. III

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841705580[/url]

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]
95-97 Taurus SHO, the 95 will be the older body style, 96 was the new body style, excellent Yamaha designed engine, fast, affordable, cheap insurance. My buddy bought a new SHO in 89, put close to 300K on it, I put several clutches in it for him, a water pump, and several timing belts. I have owned 2, a 91 and a 93, the 91 would do an honest 145 mph, 6 sec 0-60, and ran a 14.9 at 91mph in the 1/4 mile!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want to put some money in it and make it a hot rod or something not GAY! then older stang or F-car,something like that.
But you just want to go from A to B and you caN drive 55 get a Jap car,you may even be able to but a new KIA for $6K
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd look for a good old [b][i]GTO[/i][/b].
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get a Yugo.
View Quote

These days, everyone's talking about the Hyundai, and the Yugo. Both nice cars, if you've got $3,000 or $4,000 to throw around. But, for those of us whose name doesn't happen to be Rockefeller, finally there's some good news - a car with a sticker price of $179. That's right, $179. The name of the car?

Adobe. The sassy new Mexican import that's made out of clay. German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier. At this price, you might not expect more than reliable transportation - but, brother, you get it! Extra features: like the custom contour seats, or the beverage-gripping dash. And the money you save isn't exactly small change! [img]http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/pics/86dadobe.jpg[/img]

Jingle:
"Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
The little car that's made out of clay!
We're gonna save you some money
that you can spend in some other way!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Adobe!"

[ show Adobe driver get into a fender-bender. She casually steps out of the vehicle and uses her hands to mold her bumper back into its proper shape, in under six minutes! ]

Spokesman: Adobe. You can buy a cheaper car. But I wouldn't recommend it!

Announcer: Not approved for street use in some states. No warranty either expressed or implied. All sales final.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with Aimless, worry more about the previous owners care and current condition than a specific kind of car.  Personally I don't care for civics' I would look for a VW GTI or a Jetta.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Add a 1 before the 6 and get a 1996 Impala SS.  Just don't get a green one, that's what I'm gonna get.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Ode To My Car

Performed by Adam Sandler

Here we go

Piece of shit car
I got a piece of shit car
That fuckin' pile of shit
Never gets me very far

My car's a big piece of shit
'Cause the shocks are fucking shot
And my seatbelt's fucking broken
I got to tie it in a knot
(It's a piece of shit)

I can't see through the windshield
'Cause it's got a big fucking' crack
And the interior smells real bad
'Cause my friend puked in the back
(It's a piece of shit)

(Piece of shit car)
Piece of shit car
(He's got a piece of shit car)
It sucks royal dick
(That fuckin' pile of shit)
100% crap
(Never gets him very far)
Oh fuck you car

It's got no CD player, it only got the 8-track
Whoever designed my car can lick my sweaty nut sack
(They can bite his ass too)
And I got no fuckin' brakes
I'm always way out of control
Eleven times a day I hear "Hey, watch it asshole"
(You fuckin' piece of shit)

(Piece of shit car)
I got piece of shit car
(He got a piece of shit car)
Diesel gas sucks my ass
(That fuckin' pile of shit)
That pile of metal shit
(Never gets him very far)

Oh what the fuck did I do
What the fuck did I do
What the fuck did I do
To get stuck with you
You're too wide for drive-thru
And you smell like the shoe
But I'm too broke to buy something new
Oh fuck me

Well the engine likes to flood
The car always fuckin' stalls
And the seat cushion's got a big rip
So a spring always pokes the balls
(Ouch, ouch, ouch)
Plus the door locks are busted
I gotta use a fucking coat hanger
(What a pain in his ass)
And if a girlie sees my car
There's no chance I'll ever bang her
(He never ever gets da pussy)
Hey shut up
(Piece of shit car)
You piece of shit car

(You got a piece of shit car)
You piece of shit car
(Piece of shit car)
Bald fuckin' tires
No rearview fucking mirror
(Piece of shit car)
Seven different colors
Fucking rag for a gas cap
(Piece of shit car)
Tailpipe makes the sparks fly everywhere
(Piece of shit car)
(Piece of shit car)
Oh the whole town thinks I'm a loser
Cabby give me a push
(Piece of shit car...)
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#23]
My advice.....Get A Jeep.

You can find a nice YJ(square headlights) Wrangler for in the 5 to 6 range. Parts are cheap because there is a huge aftermarket following. Try and find a six cylinder version, the 2.5 four cylinder is not the hottest.
They are safe, despite all of the b.s. you have heard about roll overs. If you wear your seatbelt your fine, the vehicle has a full steel frame and a frickin' roll cage for god's sake.

Best of all you have an original american vehicle.

An Enzo Ferrari called it the only original american sports car. (referring to the original Willys MB)
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#24]
91-95 Toyota MR2

93-97 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Dodge Neon ACR (Surprisingly fun to drive, especially when it's not yours)

Honda Civic Si

Hmm...

Suzuki SV650S (brand new and cooler than all his friends cages)

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#25]
If it's a car that's sporty, but is reliable and has good gas mileage that you're trying to help find, I'd recomend a 94-97 Acura Integra.  They generally run in the price range you mentioned, and Hondas have a pretty good longevity.  94 was the year that they switched to the body style that was used until the line was discontinued (2001).  You'd probably be looking at a LS or GS in that price range, but if you happen across a GSR, I'd jump on it.  It may be a foreign car, but it'll get up and go when ya want it to.

ViseGrip
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's not for me. For the 15 (soon to be 16) year old down the street's first car.

View Quote

Then definately get the Civic. It's the most popular car on the road with teenagers, you want the girls to like him right?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#27]
My suggestion would be for an earlier model of Nissan Maxima... Of course, I'm biased in that I was T-boned to the driver side door of my '91 by a Sidekick doing 60-something and made it out with a cracked pelvis, and some cuts from the glass... And a '96 Maxima....

They have excellent track records for service and safety... not to mention power, and the ability to throw a few extra people in the car when needed

I paid $5000 out the door on the '91, and that was a couple years ago... T-boned 62 days after I bought the car... I had spent 2 years looking for one in my price range and location, and 62 days owning one that worked...

I was kind of forced into the Maxima though, being 6'5" and Im no slender reed - my two criteria were a stick and I had to be able to drive it - I can't comfortably drive a full-sized pickup, and if all else failed I was going to get an extended cab s-10, remove the seats and re-mount them so I wouldn't have a hard time driving it...

I got some pics of the car after the wreck, if anyone wants to see what a 60-some mph T-bone to the driver side door of a Maxima does to the car...

Jonathan

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#28]
For a 16 y/o? Get him a Honda Del Sol S. It's a Civic with a sportier body. Have it painted Visible Green like some fire trucks so everyone can see him coming. Put a Pioneer CD player in. Good sound, low cost. Hand him the keys. Stand back.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dodge Neon.

Doh!  Did I really say that?
Seriously though, they run OK (for the most part), handle OK (reminds me of a go-cart), not terribly sporty, but not a "grandma's car" either
View Quote

You know, I was in a time crunch to get a new car 2 years ago (old one died, I was in the middle of a move), so I got pressured into buying a Neon.  I really wanted a Toyota Corolla or Chevy Prism, but I didn't have the time to shop for the right price.

My '95 neon has been Great.  Ran like crap for a while, but new plugs, wires, and fuel filter fixed that.  The one weak spot on these cars is the head gasket:  It [b]will[/b] start to go.  If you can get one that has already had the replacement, great.  A shop will almost always replace the inferior factory gasket with a better design; be sure to ask.  

I can't believe I actually got a Neon.  I remember thinking how gay they looked when they first came out (no pun intended).  But I'm secure with my masculinity, so it's all good.  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anybody have any suggestions on a good car for $6000ish? Can't be higher than $6500...

Needs to be at least a little bit sporty, an all around nice (not POS) car, and would like '96 or newer..

Anybody have any suggestions?
View Quote

1994 Firebird/Camaro V6.  I have one and it looks great, runs great. breaks the speedlimit good to ;)

i would recommend Ttop.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#32]
The last time I checked, you could get a brand new KIA for like 7000$   They get pretty good gas mileage

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, if you're concerned about theft, for $6,000 you can probably get 6 of these puppies:

[img]http://www.avtoborza.net/lada-niva.jpg[/img]

Guaranteed not to attract any thieves.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey for $3,800 you can have my best friend's 91 Mustang. It's a black on black LX 5.0 with an auto tranny, side pipes, and some fancy torque converter and rear end (he street raced a little). Not to mention its only got 88,000 on it. It'll get him from point [b]a[/b] to point [b]b[/b] in style and in a hurry (135mph-ish).

Jake
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a Yugo.
View Quote

These days, everyone's talking about the Hyundai, and the Yugo. Both nice cars, if you've got $3,000 or $4,000 to throw around. But, for those of us whose name doesn't happen to be Rockefeller, finally there's some good news - a car with a sticker price of $179. That's right, $179. The name of the car?

Adobe. The sassy new Mexican import that's made out of clay. German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier. At this price, you might not expect more than reliable transportation - but, brother, you get it! Extra features: like the custom contour seats, or the beverage-gripping dash. And the money you save isn't exactly small change! [img]http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/pics/86dadobe.jpg[/img]

Jingle:
"Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
The little car that's made out of clay!
We're gonna save you some money
that you can spend in some other way!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Adobe!"

[ show Adobe driver get into a fender-bender. She casually steps out of the vehicle and uses her hands to mold her bumper back into its proper shape, in under six minutes! ]

Spokesman: Adobe. You can buy a cheaper car. But I wouldn't recommend it!

Announcer: Not approved for street use in some states. No warranty either expressed or implied. All sales final.

View Quote

Dude you watch way too much Saturday Night Live...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Man, I wish I had 6k to spend when I got my first car!!!
View Quote

A friend of mine (who's also 16) just got $20,000 to spend on his first car [:O].
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What kind of jeep is that?
View Quote

Russian-made Lada Niva, possibly with a GM engine.

Does it have 4wd?
View Quote

See what it says on that black strip on the door? "Niva 4x4". So I assume it has the 4wd.

That thing, if its as cheap as you say would be perfect for bringing surf fishing, if it has the 4wd
View Quote

Don't know if it is available in the US, I've never seen one, but I've seen a few makes here I wouldn't expect either. Canada probably has it...and Cuba.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Your search is over, I have the perfect car for him.  1986 Nissan 200SX. It's a sweet handling ride.  I'll let him have it for $700.00

He can spend the other 5300 on the ladies, booze, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top