Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2011 2:07:14 PM EDT

....a Death Star blew up Earth like it destroyed Alderaan in Star Wars?

Would the moon continue on roughly it's same course through the galaxy?

Or would the change in gravitational pull (due to the absense of the Earth) cause it to go careening out of control?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The moon is part of the sound stage.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What round for galaxy destroying death star?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Pretty much anything that you would use on a womp rat.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
"Thats no moon".
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess it's time to break out the Space 1999 DVD set again...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
It would turn from regular cheese into Swiss cheese.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Photon torpedo

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

WHAT IF IT WAS MADE OF RIBS?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It'll turn emo and sulk in the corner.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The moon is currently in orbit around the Earth, which is in orbit around the Sun.

If the Earth was blown up into a brazillion fragments, the Moon would still be deep in the Sun's gravitational field, and would have no way of reaching solar escape velocity.

Therefore, the Moon would continue more or less in a path around the Sun that would be close to the orbit the Earth follows now.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The moon is currently in orbit around the Earth, which is in orbit around the Sun.

If the Earth was blown up into a brazillion fragments, the Moon would still be deep in the Sun's gravitational field, and would have no way of reaching solar escape velocity.

Therefore, the Moon would continue more or less in a path around the Sun that would be close to the orbit the Earth follows now.

Steve

What about the Space Station?

Would it then go in orbit around the moon?

Or would it go careening across the galaxy?

Edit: Oh, and by the way, currently 62.5% of Arfcom says you're wrong.  So, suck on that, Vader.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you eat it then?

I know I would. Heck, I'd have seconds.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If it is no longer revolving around a planet.....wouldn't it then become a small planet since it is still revolving around the sun?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The moon would enter an elliptical orbit around the sun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Who wouldn't just blow up the moon as well?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I really don't care, cause I would be on the Death Star doing something really important.   Like cleaning Restrooms or being  a short order cook, same difference.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Steve

I looked at it as the earth moon mass system is in orbit around the sun.
If the earth mass is annihilated, the earth moon mass system now has a hell of a lot less mass, but the same velocity.
So it should crash into the sun very quickly unless it gets captured on the way there

ETA: sober reflection on this: wrong because in addition to less mass (assuming that is the case), also means less force pulling it to the sun, so probably stay in orbit, and if it doesn't, it will happen very slowly. But no way it could escape the solar system.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The moon would orbit the remains of the earth in some fucked up orbit. Possibly getting slung off into the sun.

If it stayed on course though, it would still orbit the sun and accrete pieces of the blown up earth. Eventually the moon would become the new earth after it acquired enough mass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]
fall into sun: likely
maintain current or similar orbit: unlikely
careen through galaxy: impossible.

result: poll fail.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]
A large sphere of small bits has exactly the same gravitational force as a small sphere consisting of one large bit.

If some of the Earth's bits expand beyond the moon's orbit, things would get complex, but I don't see any reason why the moon would fall into the sun or travel outside the solar system.  It would still be traveling at basically the same speed at basically the same distance from the sun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The moon's average orbit around the sun would change only slightly.  How it would change would depend on its orbital angular moment in regard

to the sun that it was at when the earth's gravitational field became no factor anymore.

If the angular moment at that time were spinward,  (in the direction of the orbit going forward around the sun) then the result would be a mildly elliptical orbit with a slightly higher apogee than the earth's present orbital path. (Energy added = higher orbit)

If the angular orbital moment were antispinward,  the resulting orbit would be mildly elliptical with a slightly lower apogee.  (Energy lost = lower orbit)

If the angular orbital moment were sunward,  this results in a net equal energy state but with higher orbital altitude oscillations and thus a higher orbital apogee  and a lower orbital perigee in an elliptical orbit.

If the angular orbital moment were anti-sunward,  this also results in a net equal energy state with higher orbital altitude oscillations with the same outcome as the previous case.

CJ

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#22]
It would wander away from it's current orbit around earth, and end-up orbiting the sun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Would the oceans enter orbit? - some sort of water blob in space?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#24]
it would loose orbit and float away,  maybe get picked up by another planet...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]
It would probably continue to orbit with the debris field of the earth's destruction, which should still have the same total mass. Don't know if the distribution of the debris field's mass would be spread out enough to cause the moon to shift it's orbit. Eventually there'd be a small asteroid belt between Venus and Mars, with the moon somewhere in there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
wouldnt it slowly attract all of the pieces of exploded earth and become a new planet?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you eat it then?

I know I would. Heck, I'd have seconds.

Then polish it off with a nice cold Budweiser
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I really don't care, cause I would be on the Death Star doing something really important.   Like cleaning Restrooms or being  a short order cook, same difference.

Sort of covering both ends of the spectrum there, huh?  lol

Pav
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
wouldnt it slowly attract all of the pieces of exploded earth and become a new planet?

Couldn't the pieces all come back together around the moon?....like a moon/Earth tootsie pop?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#30]
What if NASA built a giant treadmill for the moon to orbit on?   Then what...???????
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

40 gigawatts?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Your talking an explosion thats big enough to rip a planet to bits. The shockwave and kinetic energy would send it somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steve

I looked at it as the earth moon mass system is in orbit around the sun.
If the earth mass is annihilated, the earth moon mass system now has a hell of a lot less mass, but the same velocity.
So it should crash into the sun very quickly unless it gets captured on the way there

I thought the same thing minutes ago.  But an orbit is just the fact that an object is traveling forward at exactly the same speed it falls at.  Kinda.    A rock falls at the same speed a a pebble.   So the change in mass shouldn't effect orbit.

I think?

At the same time spinning a rock at the end of a string around my head is easier than a bolwing ball at the end of a string.    So maybe something deos change.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]
and what, pray tell, is the medium the shockwave is propagating through?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#35]
It would end up orbiting the Sun, near the distance of the Earth-Moon L-1 point.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
it would lose orbit and float away,  maybe get picked up by another planet...

This is actually a possibility also along with cmjohnson's explanation. Some combination of both...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#37]
It depends on what exactly happened to the Earth.  I mean, if you blew up the Earth, you'd create a cloud of debris that would still be gravitationally attracted to itself, so it would tend to re-form a planet.  Only the pieces that shot out fast enough would escape permanently (and then create an asteroid belt, I think).

If the Earth were vaporized (I don't recall the effect of the Death Star, whether it caused explosion or vaporization) and literally dispersed away so no planet would re-form, the Moon would (assuming it was unaffected by the Death Star's shot) simply continue in orbit around the Sun like it always has, it just wouldn't be orbiting the Earth too.  It's not like the Sun's gravity doesn't affect the Moon too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Guess it's time to break out the Space 1999 DVD set again...

You have to be old to remember watching that tv show.  I have the whole series, it's funny to watch 30 years later.  Now I can't get that 70s guitar theme song out of my head.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Bewbies...duh.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

....a Death Star blew up Earth like it destroyed Alderaan in Star Wars?

Would the moon continue on roughly it's same course through the galaxy?

Or would the change in gravitational pull (due to the absense of the Earth) cause it to go careening out of control?

It would orbit the sun and collect some mass from the Earth's debris. Probably wind up in a slightly elliptical orbit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It depends on what exactly happened to the Earth.  I mean, if you blew up the Earth, you'd create a cloud of debris that would still be gravitationally attracted to itself, so it would tend to re-form a planet.  Only the pieces that shot out fast enough would escape permanently (and then create an asteroid belt, I think).

If the Earth were vaporized (I don't recall the effect of the Death Star, whether it caused explosion or vaporization) and literally dispersed away so no planet would re-form, the Moon would (assuming it was unaffected by the Death Star's shot) simply continue in orbit around the Sun like it always has, it just wouldn't be orbiting the Earth too.  It's not like the Sun's gravity doesn't affect the Moon too.

As you can see in this clip, Alderaan was destroyed in a pretty violent manner.  The Millienium Falcon had to fly through the debris field afterwards.

On a side note, it appears as though one of the Death Star operators may have a BFL on his helmet.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#42]
That video is bullshit.

There's not going to be an annular shock wave around an exploding planet.  There's no ring-shaped concentration of mass that would cause that.  Not on a planet.   There MIGHT be one, in an accretion disk around a black hole that's sucking matter from a companion star, though.

The shock wave will be generally spherical,  and NOT feature a prominent annular shock ring.  

It looks cool in a movie but it's just pure movie fantasy bullshit.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That video is bullshit.

There's not going to be an annular shock wave around an exploding planet.  There's no ring-shaped concentration of mass that would cause that.  Not on a planet.   There MIGHT be one, in an accretion disk around a black hole that's sucking matter from a companion star, though.

The shock wave will be generally spherical,  and NOT feature a prominent annular shock ring.  

Yeah, but it was hit by a fancy laser and stuff.  I mean, a really big, planet-exploding laser.

That will make that happen.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That video is bullshit.

So you are saying that even science thinks Lucas should quit screwing around.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#45]
It really depends on what happens to the earth.

1)If the mass of the earth stays in relatively compact form, then not much.

2)If the mass of the earth was spread out over the galaxy, then the mass that hit the moon would give it a push.  If the earth just disappeared then you would NOT have that push.  Either way it would take off like a rock from David's sling shot.  Where it ended up depends on where it was in it's orbit.  That is the earth between the moon and the sun?  Is the moon ahead of or behind the earth in it's orbit around the sun?  Is the moon between the earth and the sun?  Depending on it's position, it is either going to get a velocity that will move it away from the sun or towards it.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Planet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I believe CMJohnson got it right.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#47]
When the Death Star blows the Earth up, the debris and shock wave would send the Moon hurtling into the Death Star.  It takes approximately 24 standard Earth hours for the Death Star super laser to recharge.  Someone will say "What about Return of the Jedi when they were blowing up Rebel ships?"  Blowing up Rebel ships takes less power than blowing up a planet.  Therefore, the Death Star would not have enough time to recharge it's main weapon before the Moon crashes into the Death Star and destroys it.

End result...Earth wins via poetic justice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You must have missed my post about the big fancy laser.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Could you please explain the Physics behind the Death Star Weapon.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The moon would orbit the remains of the earth in some fucked up orbit. Possibly getting slung off into the sun.

If it stayed on course though, it would still orbit the sun and accrete pieces of the blown up earth. Eventually the moon would become the new earth after it acquired enough mass.

Not really. It might gain some mass but it lacks an active core required to support an atmosphere. So while it might take our orbit and grow a little it would never support life or liquid water.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top