Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2002 3:44:12 PM EDT
I'm going to buy a new watch and want a good timepiece that will last for a few years!  I've narrowed it down to the following brands Seiko, Citizen and possibly a Tag Heuer.  I will more than likely buy the watch off Ebay since I think its stupid to pay 30%+ more at a jewlery store.  I like the Citizen Eco drives, especially the blue Angels model $275.  Seiko makes some nice Aqua watches that I like $200-$300.  I would like a Tag Formula 1 Chronograph, but for $550 are they worth it?  If I do decide on a Tag are there any signs to look for to distinguish it from a fake?   I also looked at a Luminox, but they looked kind of cheap and I really don't like the plastic or nylon bands.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My Seiko diver's 200m is around 35 years old, runs like clockwork :D. Before this one I had a Pulsar, a seiko company. Always been a Seiko person myself...and never heard a complaint against them. I've heard of the occasional fragile Citizen, of course.

a fake Tag? look for extra A's or G's. That's usually a great indicator.

Though fake watches aren't always bad- I was listening to this one guy at a cigar store I go to in the fore area talk about how he bought a Rollex type fakie in NYC like 15, 20 years ago. He replaces the battery every two years and it's worked perfect for him ever since.

You never know.

But go Seiko, you'll never go back.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd take a Tag. Just make sure that it's serial numbered and that you get all of the warranty and paperwork with it and you should be ok.

If you want a finely crafted watch the get the Tag. If you just want a nice watch then get the Seiko or Citizen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have the funds go for the TAG they don't make em any better but as stated above make sure you're getting the real deal with the correct box and all paperwork.  check out worldofwatches.com  they usually have some good deals and are very reputable.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are some of the ones I like.

[img]http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_52401a75bddaff08db794b1c6753860d/i-1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_77e16e832079ef1f653b1bb493d1cbad/i-2.JPG[/img]

Tag Heuer F1 chronograph $550-$600

[img]http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_b96621a231bebd03607b5aa53cb87116/i-1.JPG[/img]

Citizen Blueangels $250

[img]http://www.bigtimeinc.net/watches_all/kx007k2.jpg[/img]

Seiko Scuba $150

[img]http://meganscrafts.com/seiko_diver_color_SKX175.jpg[/img]

Seiko Scuba $225

[img]http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_e776ef0de2a9b804352d9e38e97480b9/i-5_B.JPG[/img]

Seiko Sportura $350
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you really want a watch with a face as massive as that Seiko? Take one that fits you. I love my Tag's. I have 2 and they will go forever. Tag gets my vote but take whatever you like the most. At this level they're all good investments.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I own two Seikos Ive been given as gifts over the years.  Never had the least bit of problems with them.  I have the Seiko my late father was given for his 20th aniversary with the construction company he worked for in Michigan.  That would have been some where around 1978. He wore it to work every day for the next 12 years.  It got beat to hell, but it's never stopped working.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm old fashioned I guess, but I've primarily stuck with Timex.  I've had the same one for well over 15 years, Carried it through the Jungles of Panama, and the Desert in Saudi/Iraq, not to mention beating the shit out of it on countless jumps at Bragg, LeJune, Ft Irwin, Panama, etc.  When I "accessorize" for the field, I always ask myself how upset I'd be if I lost it.  Might not be very fancy, but it has always kept good time. Plus I could find a lot better things to spend $300+ on- Like guns & or ammo.
Just My .02
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
This race isn't even close.

The Tag wins hands down and by a mile.

I have had my Tag F1 Chrono for 8 years without a hitch. Sweet movement, Swiss made sapphire crystal, fine stainless steel. the others can't touch it.

The luminox should not even be considered if you want a real watch.

If buying from ebay, as always' check feedback and yes the Tag is worth $550 and more when you compare it to the competition.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Another to consider is Luminox. They claim the SEALS buy them. They have tritium on the face and hands so you can tell time at night. I have had mine for four years now and still going strong. You can get them over the net with a steel face and band for less than $150.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Want an INCREDIBLE price on any of those brands?

[url]www.princetonwatches.com[/url]

INCREDIBLE prices!!! Got my Citizen Modena Ecodrive chrono from them, for about $200 cheaper than the mall. (Yeah, yeah, not saying much beating mall prices...)
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Been wearing Seiko for 25 years (I just realized I'm getting old) and probably wouldn't ever buy anything else.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's quite a strong statement to make with no support presented.  Is that arbitrary opinion or do you have something to back it up?

DrMark
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Do not pay up for a Tag.  We are talking about quartz watches...not automatics.  Get a Seiko or a Citizen...whichever you like best.  I tend like Seikos...check out their Kinetic Auto-Relay line.  Interesting piece of technology.  But avoid the Tags.  Overpriced.  If I remember correctly, Tags use the same quartz movements as your garden variety Seikos and Citizens, but charge significantly more just to set themselves apart.

The only watches worth paying up for are automatics.  I am fond of Omegas myself...and of course Breitlings...
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The three you mentioned are all good imo.
I have experience with the Seiko and Citizen.
As a pilot, I love the functions of the Citizen Navihawk, a friend gave my one - BUT - the numbers and engravings are way to small to see in all but the brightest of light and you have to have "young" eyesight.
I'd love to try the Tag, but, a bit out of my price range.
I love the Seiko, I own two of them and imo bar none, they are the best quality for the money.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I have BlueAngle. cool watch.
Especially if you travel alot..
But if you have the cash get the TAG.
But Tag at sub-grand pricing, not look as refined as some other Tag watches.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Having collected watches for many years (40+) and have bought nearly every brand other than Citizen. I personally feel Omega is the only real time piece out there for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's quite a strong statement to make with no support presented.  Is that arbitrary opinion or do you have something to back it up?

DrMark
View Quote

luminox?

What are you paying for?

Mineral glass? Plastic? Even the "stainless steel" ones look like something you would find on a corner vendors table or flea market.

Why not just buy a Timex and save your money?

If you are going to shell out more then Timex money for a watch you might as well get a quality Swiss watch or if you like the Japanese movements go that way.

Of course that is just my opinion..........

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for Tag.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Origionally said by Dugster:

Funny,Before the Luminox which I guess is not a real watch I had a TAG. It broke after a year and a half. I had it fixed at an authorized repair place. It broke again 6 months later. Had it repaired again, broke again. Threw it away.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]
On second thought, watches are kind of like handguns. They all at this point and time work relatively similar, and they will almost all function reliably and through thick and thin alike- so just find the one that you're comfortable with, that you yourself thinks fits you yourself.

I like Berettas, I hate Glocks. One of my friends Loves Glocks, Hates Berettas(the bitch that he is). So just flow with it, find your taste.

BTW that Navitimer looks really sweet, so does the Blueangels. I still like my Simple Seiko though :)
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Origionally said by Dugster:

Funny,Before the Luminox which I guess is not a real watch I had a TAG. It broke after a year and a half. I had it fixed at an authorized repair place. It broke again 6 months later. Had it repaired again, broke again. Threw it away.
View Quote

You threw away a broken Tag?

What was wrong with it? Any watch shop would have given you good dollars for a broken Tag. Unless it got run over by a tank, they can be repaired very easily and resold for big bucks.

Like I said I have had mine for 8 years and never a problem and wear it everyday. It has been everywhere; salt water fishing/diving, in the frigid north, falling off my mountain bike, it has been through hell. I have never known anyone who own's a Tag to have problems accept for damage from accidents. Of course nothing can beat the Ironman I have had that watch since 1984 and I have only gone through 2 batteries.

I am not saying the Tag is the best watch, just that it is a great choice in the under $1000 bracket. If you have REAL money and want a REAL watch you would go Omega or Rolex of course.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#24]
It's your money...
I've got a really, really fancy watch that only comes out when I'm trying to be stupid and impress someone that I shouldn't give a crap about. Spent a big commish check on it.
What is your motivation?
Timex Iron man that's gone through 3 bands  is my daily iron/plastic
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Having collected watches for many years (40+) and have bought nearly every brand other than Citizen. I personally feel Omega is the only real time piece out there for me.
View Quote

Agree 100%
here is my baby and its a late 60s model
[img]http://home.hot.rr.com/sourpuss/images/Photos/409E.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Im another OMEGA fan..
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I know you didn't list it but you should also consider Breitling.  They are beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for a tag heuer.

I wouldnt trade my tag for the world it keeps perfect time and is indestructable.

But id recomend you go up one level to the 2000 series.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
But avoid the Tags.  Overpriced.  If I remember correctly, Tags use the same quartz movements as your garden variety Seikos and Citizens, but charge significantly more just to set themselves apart.
View Quote

Quartz  tags use the ETA movement.
ETA is based and manufactured in
[b]Switzerland[/b]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree 100%
[url]http://home.hot.rr.com/sourpuss/images/Photos/409E.jpg[/url]
View Quote

love that cosmic 2000

Ive got one my self from the same era with a midnight blue face.

It blows me away how much omega's have gone up in the past 30 years.

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I have three Seiko's. I have a Seiko World Time that a friend brought back from Vietnam. I've been wearing that since 8TH grade. I also have an inexpensive stainless steel Seiko I use as a work watch. Right this minute I'm wearing a Seiko chronograph I received as wedding present from the boss (wife). I also have a 1940's tank style Hamilton my dad received when he graduated from Marquette, and another of his watches, a Benrus wristalarm. You can't go wrong with a Seiko.......
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Pager, cell phone, and a PDA all with clocks built in.  I haven't had the need for a wristwatch in about 10 years.  

I do admire nice watches and would love to get a Breitling aerospace someday.  My excuse would be needing something water-resistant.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
What about a Casio?
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Started with a Seiko Diver over 25 years ago.  Still works.

Had to get a "prettier" watch, got a Tag-Heuer (Mid-Size) about 12 years ago, my wife graduated me to the Full Size Chronograph when we were married (Seven Years ago).

Strongly considering a Breitling "Cross-Wind".  Silver/Gold Band, Blue Faced with Roman Numerals.... HUGE....

ALL the watches have been fantastic, but the TAGs are NOT automatic (Battery Powered).  And I always liked TRUE Movement!

BTW.... I still use a Timex when I run....

So I've used all the watches, and can NOT give any of them up....
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been wearing my Seiko Diver 300m since I graduated high school...

Every enviroment, Enginerooms, Boiler rooms, Reactor rooms, at sea, under the sea,just about everywhere in 10 years of US Navy duty...

Rain or shine... never skipped a beat
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree 100%
[url]http://home.hot.rr.com/sourpuss/images/Photos/409E.jpg[/url]
View Quote

love that cosmic 2000

Ive got one my self from the same era with a midnight blue face.

It blows me away how much omega's have gone up in the past 30 years.

View Quote

Thanks..the watch is as old as I am...funny though.
I took my watch to a certified Rolex/Omega individual to give her(the watch) the old tune up and he says, "I dont understand why people waste their money on new watches.  You can find an older one at a fair price and they will run forever.  The true quality in performance is disappearing."
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I vote Tag, and here's my favorite, an analog/digital mix.

[img]http://www.worldofwatches.com/img/prod/p6666B.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#38]
but the TAGs are NOT automatic (Battery Powered). And I always liked TRUE Movement!

Only the less expensive Tags are quartz movements.  There are many self winding models....
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Personally I love my Citizen Ecodrive Divemaster.  The last one I had still works but I had bought it in 1989,  before the ecodrive concept.  The only reason I replaced my other is because I didn't want to deal with batteries.  The other watch I wore constantly,  except for maybe in the shower.  It held up through my frame up truck rebuild and took some serious abuse with no problems.  But I do think that most of the watches mentioned here are a matter of preference,  just like Ford or Chevy,  or Sig over glock.  Just depends on what you like.  Of course what do I know,  I drive a truck for a living.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#40]
My Tag is the best watch I ever bought.  Looks like a million bucks and never missed a beat in years.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:06:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Since you asked, this is on my arm now.  Seiko has give me excellent service with every one I have owned.  Recommended.

[img]http://www.wristwatch.com/watchimages/Seiko/SDWA89.gif[/img]

Here is where I got it.

[url]http://www.wristwatch.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:42:29 AM EDT
[#42]
chase-durer
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Hiram, thanks for the offer, but I bought a Seiko diver 200 model.  The same model that was shown on the first page with the red and blue dial.  Cost me a little less than $200.  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Look at the LumiNox "Navy Seals" dive watch.  Has a tritium dial, can see in all light conditions.  About $200.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#46]
i have an HK watch. it rules! best watch i ever had. plus, it has a little HK logo on it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I know you didn't list it but you should also consider Breitling.  They are beautiful.
View Quote

I agree that Breitling makes an amazing watch, but don't the very cheapest ones start around $2k?  I also like the fact that lots of people don't know what they are.  My roommate in college had one.  Our friend comes over showing off and bragging that he just bought a $300 or more Swiss Army watch.  My roommate tells him "Oh, I just have a Breitling".  Stupid friend had no idea that Breitling was over $5k.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#48]
The Tag is very nice, but bang for the buck, I would go for the Seiko.  I own a Seiko perpetual calandar and it is great for everyday use.

I'd buy a Tag if I had $1500 to spend.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I've got one of these:
[img]http://citizen-watches.watch-universe.com/images/ecodrive/skyhawk/jr3060-59f.jpg[/img]
As a previous poster noted, the slide rule engravings are quite small, but it's a neat watch, and I use the world time functions quite a bit. very nifty.

This is the first watch I've paid more than $50 for in 20 years. I had been buying Timex "Expedition" digital/analog combo watched from Campmor for a lot of years. They're kind of disposable to me. To date, I have "donated" 3 to the Mississippi River, 1 to the Nile River, 1 to the Mediterranean Sea, 2 to the Caribbean Sea and 1 to the James River near Norfolk, VA. When they quit, I launch 'em.

I've since decided to pay a little more for a watch that (hopefully) won't quit. I will not lug a non-functioning timepiece around the world. I got the Citizen for about $300, enough that I'll care for it, but won't particularly miss it when eventually it finds its way to the bottom of some body of water.

I'd love to have an Omega, but can't justify $1500 for a future coral bed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a seiko divers 200m that I have had for almost twenty years. It gets banged around a lot and shows wear but other than replacing the battery one time and several watch bands, I have never had a problem with it.
Does anyone have any opinions on the seiko divers automatic ?? I have been thinking about one of those.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top