Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2002 10:50:18 PM EDT
Mine was 94.6.  Anyone else care to join in?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't recall exact number, just remember being called an "Alpha"
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't remember what my AFQT score was, but my GT score (which is what they use for re-enlistment, anyway) was a 124.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have my ASVAB sheet and my military careers score is a 225/240.

which score are you asking about?
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The Corps used the GT score a lot, mine was very high, but all the enlisted 7242 first termers were.
There was a funny thing that happened where they didn't have enough staff NCOs so they dropped the GT for them. What happened was that a lot of grunts at E-5 and E-6 level retook the test, just made the lower score, and transfered in. The big problem, other than being dumber than the E-4s and below, was that they never put in the time on the lower level support positions in the DASC so they were not really qualifed to sit as crew chief or air director (though they pencil whipped their quals on paper) so you had staff NCOs (about half of them) bossing troops around at the squadron who couldn't actually do the work in the field (and I mean not just sitting the position in the system, I mean planning and scheduling and supplying the individual system)
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:48:24 AM EDT
[#5]
A funny related story was that in my junior year of undergrad my guard unit went active duty for clinton's relection in europe.
I broke down and took the army officer test in germany because I thought I could get orders to OCS while still on active duty (It didn't work for me, but they did cut orders for a guy who was a cop in real life, there were some real internal problems with the po po in the guard brigade)
Anyhow, the army was still using their own officer test, not the sat or whatever they use now.
They would not let me leave the test center after they graded the test and they called in the director.
It turns out they suspected me of cheating until he talked to me as I had 'the highest score that they had seen' at that center.
(I do well on tests, and am fairly smart, but I think a big part of that was the types of units in the ASG region)
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a way to get you ASVAB score without having the recruiter call you 10 times a day?  I can't remember what it was but I know it was pretty high...
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Took it 3 times!

Before enlistment, 90.  Then while in boot camp because they thought my recruiter may have taken it for me so then a 92. Took it last year when I was toying with re-enlisting and hit 96.

Pretty easy test if you fared well in high school.  The first 2 times I took it the test was pencil and paper with scantron dots.  Now it is automated on a computer.

Took some weird test while in boot camp.  One was like an arcade game where I had to place a gun pipper on a moving target and follow it while it moved randomly then "shooting" it.

Then I had like 3 vision tests.  I had 20/15 vision back then(20/20 now) and they gave me some test that measured my peripheral vision and another that measured my reaction time to visual stimuli.  Never got a reason why they did this.  It was only 3 of us they did this to that I know of.  

Any other Navy go through this?
BTW I was at Great Lakes
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Do not become a mechanic if you can help it
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#11]
GT - 120 back in 1985

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I have no idea what my actual score was (took it way, way back in high school), but it was certainly good enough to put me on the recruiter's call list!
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#14]
99 on ASVAB and a 145 on DLAB. That was quite a while ago for me though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure its now referred to as "AFQT". I went thru MEPS last year. My score was an 88. Guess thats why I'm a 12Bravo.
View Quote

You're lucky your not a Signal weenie.  Are there still Single Channel Radio Operators running around?  They were generally the least intelligent form of Army life I've ever encountered.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I took the ASVAB in '95, and I scored pretty high then.  I think each branch called me once a day for about three months.  

I had decided to join the USAF, and I took it again last November at the ripe old age of 25, and I scored a 99.  I think they have standardized the test to a 1-100 scale, with the lowest acceptable score being a 32 (for Marines and Seaman).  I think the AF required a 40.  

It was a lot of fun to sit through MEPS, which I did four times.  I liked messing with the Marines, and their "better than you" menatality.  Anytime a marine-recruit asked why I was joining the AF, I told them it was because I scored too high on the ASVAB to join anything else...
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#17]
99 back in 1972
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Got a 99 wit GT of 130 almost 3 years ago. And everyone thought I was an idiot for going 11 Bravo.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure its now referred to as "AFQT". I went thru MEPS last year. My score was an 88. Guess thats why I'm a 12Bravo.
View Quote

A Combat Engineer at Ft. Lewis?  Which unit?  I heard the 15th Engr. Bn is no longer there from a girl in the 864th Engr.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got a 99 wit GT of 130 almost 3 years ago. And everyone thought I was an idiot for going 11 Bravo.
View Quote

I don't think you're an idiot at all.  If I had to do it all over, I'd go 11B, 11C or 19D instead of 98C.  

The Military Intelligence Corps is ate up with ass kissers and desk jockeys.  Of course there are exceptions, but very few.  In 8 years I met three (3!) Warrant Officers that were actually technically competent.  I worked for exactly two Captains that had even a clue.

Don't think I have a clue about 11 series?  I spend a year in 2ID with plenty of 11 series friends.  My little brother is in the 82nd, 11B.

I even got to go through the EIB testing while in Korea just to see if MI weenies could make it.  I passed by the way.

50lbs and ten years ago, I'd go 11, 12, 18 or 19 series and be a lifer.

My GT was 131.  I score 2/2 in Korean, Spanish and German DLPTs.  I shot 40/40 7 times in 8 years, however that shouldn't be taken to be a great brag.  Shooting 40 is pretty easy if you practice a little.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Took it in HS.  Was like 99+. Recruiters stalked me for months.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I took the ASVAB in '91 and scored a 97 on it.The recruiter hounded me up until my 1st day at Ohio State.

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#23]
98 ASVAB, 136 DLAB, GT ? I don't remember. They tried to talk me out of 11B for weeks. When the other service's recruiters heard my score they all tried to talk to me. The Marine recruiter was an idiot. He began his pitch with "Why the fuck do you want to be an Army puke?" and then began interrogating me like I was under arrest. The best part was:
Him "Have you ever smoked marijuana?"
Me "No."
Him "Because if you smoked it more than three times you are addicted."
Me "Ha ha ha. That's very funny. Marijuana isn't addictive."
Him "Oh yes it is!"
Me "Well if that is the case then the Marines don't want me. I drink beer."
Him "What's wrong with that?"
Me "I have had more than 3 beers on more than 3 occasions. Under your rules I must be an alcoholic. Alcohol is addictive."
Him "No it isn't!"
Me "Goodbye."
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#24]
If I remember correctly my ASVAB was ~ 97%.  

Prior to the ASVAB, I took the Pre-ASVAB at the Navy recuiters  and missed 1 out of 40 questions.  She thought I cheated so she gave me this same test again. I knew which one I missed so I got 40 out of 40 the second time. After testing me of color blindness, she tries to get me to go to MEEPS that week.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't remember what I got, though it was pretty high. I think the Navy is still calling my parents' house 3 years after I moved away for College.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine was 99....  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I remeber taking the asvab like it was yesterday, well actually it was yesterday [:D]. what I can't figure out is that my asvab score was 63. to my standards this is horrible. my guess is that my math scores probably weren't all that outstanding. it doesn't make much sense still, because I am an excellent reader and my reading comprehension score weren't all that great either. whats ironic is that I usually have excellent scores on testing.

what I found even more interesting the response that I got when I told them what mos I would preffer. they acted like they've never seen any one sign up for airborne infantry before.

the local recruiters offices are all in the mall right next to each other and neither the army or marines have more than 2 people that signed up for infantry. everyone else went for logistics, radar operator, or some kind or mechanical mos.

funny storie: when I was a 10th grader in highschool I took the asvab with my at the time girlfriend. after a year and a half of going out with her she turned out to be a unfaithful, lying, backstabbing $@#&*%[soapbox]. any way I still remember what job the test recomended her for........  garbage man [:D]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I took the ASVAB about 5 years ago.  It's a friggin joke.  Isn't there something wrong with a test that practically everybody scores in the mid-nineties?  What exactly is that crap testing for?  I don't remember my score, I just remember it was in the high nineties, and seemed a little inflated to me.  Isn't that score a percentile rank (90th percentile means there are 10 people out of 100 that scored better than you)?

Edited to prove that even if you score high on the ASVAB, sometimes you have trouble constructing a coherent sentence.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got a 99 with GT of 127 about 10 years ago and everyone thought that I was an idiot for choosing 19K.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I took the ASVAB about 5 years ago.  It's a friggin joke.  Isn't there something wrong with a test that practically everybody scores in the mid-nineties?  
View Quote

The truth is, they don't. The guys you find posting on this board are probably mostly going to be in the 90s except for the fibbers. There is a reason for that. Most of the guys here are above average. They have jobs that allow them to purchase nifty toys. You don't normally have a well paying job if you are a dummy. They have an interest in things that are engineered so they like intricate toys. The "Sally Jesse Raphael" watching types don't have that attitude towards the world or the things in it.

These are guys with intellectual curiosity who are in the upper echelon of society mentation-wise and also in other manners as well. They are risk takers for the most part with lots of former and present military and law enforcement. So your perception that everyone scores in the 90s is skewed. I saw lots of dysfunctional cretins bitching at the MEPS when I took the test.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#34]
1984 GT score was 146 , asvab was somewhere near 120 ?

U.S. Army  26D20 -> 93D20 -> 35D Skill level 2

Why can't they keep the MOS Classification numbers the same
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
1984 GT score was 146 , asvab was somewhere near 120 ?

U.S. Army  26D20 -> 93D20 -> 35D Skill level 2

Why can't they keep the MOS Classification numbers the same
View Quote

Wow. An ASVAB of 120? Evere have any 300 proof whiskey? Ever give 200% out on the playing field?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Points well taken poikilotrm.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Guys like ah1z and poikilotrm are right. The military has spent so much time and money pushing the "learn a skill" junk that they can't believe anybody would volunteer for stuff like Infantry.I'm the only guy in my platoon that has a degree(Associates). Could have easily gone on to 4 year school. But there is no real excitement in that, at least to me.I'd rather be jumping and blowing shit up and doing something to be proud of, even if its just for a while. Many of the students I was around at college (okay, most) will never be able to say they did anything worth a damn except for themselves.ah1z, go airborne infantry and to hell with the skeptics. Just remember EVERYONE else in the military is there to support YOU. If you don't do it, it doesn't get done.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Why did all of you take this test?  For me it was given to my entire high school (junior or senior.. I don't remember) class.  We were got on buses and went down to the NG armory gym.  Does everybody take this or what?

Just wondering

BTW, I now realize there must be people that perform poorly on this test.  But c'mon, it wasn't rocket science or anything.  In all seriousness, what is it meant to test?  Everybody I knew that had a pulse did pretty well on it.  If I remember right they give you a percentile score (or that's what people remember anyway) I don't know anybody that was even close to being in the 50's or 60's.  Does that mean everybody I know is above average?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I did a tour as a detailed Army Recruiter from '89-'92.

I put in around 50 people during that time, and never had an applicant get an AFQT of higher than 80.

The initial score off the ASVAB that we looked at was the AFQT.  This went from 0-99.  We were looking for 50+, which categorized you as a 3-A, or the common term of "Alpha" that was mentioned.  

Didn't matter what the particular AFQT score was, as long as it was 50+.  The key to getting 50+ was having had Algebra in high school.

I look at all these 90+ AFQT scores and I'm amazed.  I only recall one applicant tested out of our recruiting station, in the 2.5 years that I was there, that scored in the 90's.  There were more, but that I can only remember one should give you an idea of how non-typical it is.

The average 3A AFQT scores were more in the 50-70 range.

One you have the qualifying AFQT score, then the individual line scores and the GT score come into effect.  These scores go 140+.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Guys like ah1z and poikilotrm are right. The military has spent so much time and money pushing the "learn a skill" junk that they can't believe anybody would volunteer for stuff like Infantry.I'm the only guy in my platoon that has a degree(Associates). Could have easily gone on to 4 year school. But there is no real excitement in that, at least to me.I'd rather be jumping and blowing shit up and doing something to be proud of, even if its just for a while. Many of the students I was around at college (okay, most) will never be able to say they did anything worth a damn except for themselves.ah1z, go airborne infantry and to hell with the skeptics. Just remember EVERYONE else in the military is there to support YOU. If you don't do it, it doesn't get done.
View Quote

Here is a funny little truth to think about 203: Think of all the great civil leaders both in politics and in industry who were prior service. Now try to find the REMFs. Good luck. I doubt if you can. There is a certain mindset that goes along with combat arms that translates into sucess in all things when properly applied. One of the traits of a volunteer for combat arms is the love of risk. Nothing ventured, nothing ever gained. Just something to ponder.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#41]
hmm, I actually have my last results here.  What do they mean?  beats me!  [:)]

ARMY  
GT  GM  EL  EL  CL  MM  SC  CO  FA  CF ST
124 135 131 124 134 134 131 136 130 129 127

AIRFORCE  
M  A  G  E
98 90 90 95

NAVY  
GS  AR  WK  PC  NO  CS  AS  MK  MC EI  VE
65  63  59  58  57  63  68  60  63 67  59

MARINES  
GT  EL  CL  MM
127 131 125 135
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
After testing me of color blindness....
View Quote

I was in boot camp when I found out I was color blind.
At the time I couldn't be in the Navy, couldn't be a Sonarman and couldn't be in Subs if I was color blind.  The Navy had some other half-assed test that only contained white, red and green.  Soooo, I memorized what each color looked like and passed it with flying colors !
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why did all of you take this test?  For me it was given to my entire high school (junior or senior.. I don't remember) class.  We were got on buses and went down to the NG armory gym.  Does everybody take this or what?

Just wondering

BTW, I now realize there must be people that perform poorly on this test.  But c'mon, it wasn't rocket science or anything.  In all seriousness, what is it meant to test?  Everybody I knew that had a pulse did pretty well on it.  If I remember right they give you a percentile score (or that's what people remember anyway) I don't know anybody that was even close to being in the 50's or 60's.  Does that mean everybody I know is above average?
View Quote

I took it because I was thinking of joining the Army or the Navy.  The Navy recruiter only wanted to talk about the enlisted nuclear program. I didn't think it would be fun sitting on a nuclear sub for 5 years.  While in college I was ROTC for two year.  In retrospect I wish I had joined an Army reserve unit while in college stayed with ROTC and obtained a commission.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
hmm, I actually have my last results here.  What do they mean?  beats me!  [:)]

ARMY  
GT  GM  EL  EL  CL  MM  SC  CO  FA  CF ST
124 135 131 124 134 134 131 136 130 129 127

AIRFORCE  
M  A  G  E
98 90 90 95

NAVY  
GS  AR  WK  PC  NO  CS  AS  MK  MC EI  VE
65  63  59  58  57  63  68  60  63 67  59

MARINES  
GT  EL  CL  MM
127 131 125 135
View Quote

[i]NOTE:  It has been 10 years since I was recruiting, so I may not be using the proper terminology.[/i]

Your AFQT score is used only to determine your overall eligibility for military service.  In the Army we were always looking for 3A's, or those with an AFQT score on their ASVAB of 50-99.  We could work with those that had AFQT's of <50, but the slots were extremely limited.

The ASVAB is broken down 10 or so different sections, each testing knowledge in various subjects.

The score you received in each section became your "line scores", or the GT, EL, CO, etc.

From what I can recall, GT=General Knowledge/Technical; EL=Electronics; CO=Combat Operations; GM=General Mechanics; SC=Science; etc.  The others I can't recall enough to even guess.

Once you met the AFQT requirement and entered into the actual job selection process, these individual line scores came into play.

Examples:

To qualify for heavy wheeled vehicle operator (MOS 88M), you needed a minimum MM score of 100.

For avionic communication repairer (MOS 35L), you needed a minimum EL score of 110.

For infantryman (MOS 11B), you needed a minimum CO score of 105.

Once you went into active duty, your AFQT score is never heard of again.  Your GT score is used from that point on.  100 is the minimum to have, and if you have that or lower, you'll go through classes to retest and hopefully raise it.  110+ is what you need to stay in.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#45]
My problem with joining the military is that I'm afraid of incompetent people. I have very little tolerance for incompetence and the way the military is structured, you can't easily get away from incompetent people, especially if they're your superiors.

In civilian life, if your boss is incompetent, you can quit. In the military, it'll get you killed.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My problem with joining the military is that I'm afraid of incompetent people. I have very little tolerance for incompetence and the way the military is structured, you can't easily get away from incompetent people, especially if they're your superiors.

In civilian life, if your boss is incompetent, you can quit. In the military, it'll get you killed.
View Quote

You'd better not join.  You'll kill someone.  I nearly did.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#47]
97 here

Yep, the ASVAB is percentile. Score from 1-99 is possible.

It can take you places.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p287d505c68471dcd381c57faf2265005/fdb00271.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I dont remember the numbers, I will have to look in my S/R but the Nav tried real hard to get me in the nuke program or OCS. but I chose the life of a Gator (ACU-5 the Swift Intruders), much fun and I got to carry more guns that way.

[:)>]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Took mine back in 1988 when enlisting in the USAF. I remember the scores to this day but am not 100% sure if the categories I listed are correct.

Mechanical - 99
Electronics - 98
Admin - 95
General - 88
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#50]
89 for thr Army GT 122
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top