Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 12:17:04 PM EDT
I need to start training for a 300 meter and a 1.5 mile run in February.  What type of clothes, or cloth to be more specific, is best to wear.  I will likely be doing some indoor some outdoor.  The outdoor will be in fairly cold weather.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
cotton is inexpenisve. the new micro-fiber stuff is the bomb. its light and wicks moisture away. dont go for the name brand expensive stuff. wally world sells comparable stuff for $10-$15.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
For the indoor stuff I recommend anything Coolmax, which is much cheaper than UnderArmour (just not as trendy).  Nylon running shorts.   Thorlo socks anytime, or in cold weather wool socks w/poly liners.  For cold weather outdoor running you might try to pick up fleece with "windblocker" -- really makes a difference.

Personally I'd stay away from cotton if possible.  Ounce per ounce it doesn't insulate that well, makes you very chilled when wet, and becomes very heavy.  Although I did my run in a cotton T this AM
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#3]
How long (minutes) are you going to be running outside?  That is what I would base your exposure time on.  1.5 miles equates to 12 to 15 minutes outdoors.  

I run outside all through the winter here in NE Ohio.  If I can keep my hands, neck and head warm, I feel fine.  I wear a balaklava and gore-tex gloves.  This and a windbreaker is all I usually use.  I'll wear shorts outside until the temperature gets down to the 20's.  20's and below, and I wear nylon wind pants.

Cotton gets a bad rap.  I wear cotton shirts 95% of the time.  What else are you going to do with all the race shirts that you get?  Any training run less than 15 miles, and cotton is fine (with bandaids over my nipples).  Over 13 or 15 miles, and I'll wear coolmax.

Running is about pain management and comfort.  What I find comfortable, you may not.  You will not know until you try a few combinations.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice.  I do have one more question though.  Is it best to run in tight shorts or loose shorts like you would wear playing basketball?  Or is it just a matter of runner preferance?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I like to run in regular athletic shorts.  When I run long, I may go with a running-specific short.  I find that they are a bit 'faggotty' for me.

I like to run in my 'tighty whiteys' for support, if you know what I'm saying.  

I wear boxers just about all of the rest of the time.

Again, as you run more, you will find what is comfortable for you.

The great thing about running is its simplicity.  Everyone owns shorts and t-shirts.  The only equipment that you should not skimp on it shoes.  Do not run in anything but running shoes.  Not cross-trainers, basketball shoes, or any others...  running shoes.  Don't buy them at a mall store.  Find a running specific store that will be able to 'fit' your shoes for you.  They will be able to look at your gait and your wear pattern on your shoes to best fit the style of running shoe that will work best.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Uhm....I run in my Belleville 880STs....

I get funny looks though.

John

Edit: But I'm running to train up for BCT.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree whole heartedly about the shoes. If they don’t watch you walk and run in them go elsewhere also bring some foot wear that has a good amount of tread wear to help them see where your foot strike is under normal use. That is all you really need. Good shoes and a thin coat of CLP and nothing else. Makes a hell of a statement to your whole community. Try it !
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought some trail running shoes a while back but have never done much running in them, definately not on trails, so I wear them for everyday use.
How much should I spend on a decent pair of running shoes?  I don't have much in the $$$ department but I HAVE to get in shape for the physical test.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought some trail running shoes a while back but have never done much running in them, definately not on trails, so I wear them for everyday use.
How much should I spend on a decent pair of running shoes?  I don't have much in the $$$ department but I HAVE to get in shape for the physical test.

Up to $100 or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top