Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 5:08:22 AM EDT
Taking a break from terrorism, radical Islam, and the AWB for a few minutes....

Last night I was playing through my Solo 50 head and the lead channel stopped working.
The rhythm channel still works, but lead is dead...very weird. Anybody here ever have the same problem?

My tubes are 4 1/2 years old so I'm thinking that one went bad (I heard a small pop just before the lead channel went dead)

I have been using matched Mesa 6L6 power tubes, and groove tubes 12AX7's.
Any suggestions for either that would get a heavier sound out of this amp?

The 12AX7's are ok, but have always wondered if there was a better set of 6L6's out there.
What do you guys use?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
OH my God... someone translate that for me.

Check you 12DC9 rotor and 86BXwhowhatsit for malfunction.

Then look for problems with the flux capacitor.

- BG

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Since the amp still works in the clean channel, the problem isn't a 6L6. Either you have a bad 12AX7 in the lead channel, or there is another problem specific to that channel.

ETA - I used to own a MkIII Boogie. The main reason I got rid of it was because I couldn't get anything resembling a heavy tone from it. I've been told that converting to EL34 main tubes will help, but you can't just pull out the 6L6's and replace them with EL34's - they have to be rebiased and other work may be needed as well.

My cure was to sell the Boogie and buy a Marshall (which has EL34 power tubes), and I've never looked back. Boogie amps are great for blues, or for sounding like Santana. Some newer models like the Rectifiers may also have more the sound you're after.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The answer is pie.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Translation - The part or parts that make a guitar amp sound like rock and roll stopped working...but they are replacable...so, what are the best replacements for this particular equipment.

Sort of like wearing down the rifling in your barrel and then trying to figure out the best replacement part and what twist to go with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Since the amp still works in the clean channel, the problem isn't a 6L6. Either you have a bad 12AX7 in the lead channel, or there is another problem specific to that channel.

ditto that, and since the boogie uses a 2-stage preamp, there are lots of 12ax7s to go bad. FYI, the 6L6s are in the output stage, which works.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I just replaced the 6L6's on my Rectoverb 50 combo last week.  Though I brought Mesa replacement tubes ($40 at Guitar Center) I believe Groove tubes might sell tubes that are set to the bias Mesa needs.

Since Mesa amps have a pre-set Bias, it makes tube replacement easy as changing a light bulb, but limits you to their brand or possibly Groove tubes that work with the Mesa bias.

There's still a chance you have a pre-amp 12AX7 going bad too.   They run about 12-15 bucks a piece, I'd suggest finding your Mesa schematic, or downloading it form their website, and try swapping out the lead channel pre-amp tubes one by one, and see if the problem clears up.

At 4.5 years, that's a long time for powertubes to last, so they are going to be a problem pretty soon too.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:20:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a musician, but I worked for one of the oldest music stores in Austin Texas for a while repairing amps like yours.  Output tubes are numbered for their "tone" usually from 1 to 10 (they will have the same part number though).  Check out which you have and try another number.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Just tooled around swapping positions of the 12AX7's and swapping out 2 known good tubes.....i can now get either channel to work depending on where i put the known good tubes....so its definitely a 12AX7 issue...time to scoop up some new ones...

Is anyone out there using non-mesa replacements for the 6L6's ?
What brands give what kind of tone?

Im looking for something with a ton of presence that I can back off on and get fat tone for Satriani type sound...at full though, I want harmonics that rip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been using electroharmonix tubes in my duel rec. with nice results, the prices that mesa want for their tubes is outragous,

Its been awhile but i pretty sure that I bought my tubes (and another set of back up tubes) from Tube Depot

If you have the newer style rec with the midi style foot controller, i'd bet money on the 12AX7's being the problem, i can hear in the amp clicking noises right before they go out during switching,

Edit to add:  just missed your responce, I've tried several brands of 12AX7's and none of them seem to affect the tone, it's the power tubes that make the largest difference on my amp, but i've still had good results with electroharmonix tubes, and at the going prices you can't go wrong

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Tagged so I can find it when I talk to my Tube Guy .
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Sovtek
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top