Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 1:37:50 PM EDT
A friend of mine separated from his wife of 23 years and then unexpectedly lost his job, both in a period of weeks.  He wants to tell me all about it, but I  certainly lack either wisdom or discernment.  The best I can do is take him to the range tomorrow to shoot the AR's and then for beer and red meat somewhere.  

Can anyone think of something encouraging to say in a situation like this?  He has a pretty good sense of humor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't let him be around guns, for goodness' sake!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell him you are always available to listen.  Anytime.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
actually, unless he's suicidal or something, an ar or two can be a pretty decent stress reliever, just make sure they're put up before the beer comes out

edited because im a recovering illiterate
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The best thing you can do in this situation is LISTEN.  Listen to him, make it OK for him to get whatever he needs to say, said.

Don't try to offer any unsolicited advice, "helpful suggestions" or try to pry anything out, just let the guy be himself.

Only offer suggestions or advise when asked and then offer them with no strings, no guilt trips or "you really should do..." crap.

Put yourself in his shoes and think about what you'd want and need from a friend when your life is in the toliet.  Operate from that perspective and you should do OK.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
He's firing his new Bushmaster for the first time.  I'm hoping it will be a positive experience.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If he has a good sense of humor:  tell him that any woman that would stay with HIM for 23 years is a nutcase or an idiot and he's better off without her, and since he doesnt have a job anymore he'll have loads of time to sit around the house drunk  scraping by on unemployment planning the end of what little future he has left.

Hell, if he laughs or kicks your ass, you know he will be Okay. If it makes him sad....you better get out your wedding/ funeral suit and take it to the dry cleaners.....

-HS
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I concur with the above.  Right now he doesn't need somebody to try and "fix" it (and you know how we guys like fixing things!).  Let him know you'll be there for him, but I don't stick my nose where it's not invited.  Be supportive, but not pushy.  Be a friend.  I hope it goes well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
listen and be supportive, but don't blow sunshine up his ass. don't be judgemental or criticize or offe advice. try to get a real understanding of what hes going through. accentuate some good points and help him get headed in a positive direction.

when you see him, you may even find that he says very little about it...just feels better being around a good friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top