Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 9:53:09 AM EDT
I'm headed down to a free and much warmer part of the country tomorrow but I've never been. I want to go to the booby beach and Key Largo to Alabama jacks. Also I want to go down to Key West for a day. I'll be in town until Thanksgiving so I'll have some time to go exploring. Any advice from locals or someone who's been before?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Colombian Bam Bam and hookers!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Colombian Bam Bam and hookers!!!

A fine idea!

Maybe Pacino and I can shoot machine guns off the hotel balcony.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Definately check out the Hard Rock in Hollywood.  Lots of good times to be had there!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Joe's Stone Crab restaurant.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Definately check out the Hard Rock in Hollywood. Lots of good times to be had there!

And the TGI Fridays in Pembroke Pines!  It's da bomb!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Key West have a fish sandwich at Hog's Breath, and a margarita...............FTW
http://www.hogsbreath.com/

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
But seriously...Kew West is too far for an enjoyable day trip...I would go down to Islamorada in the evening, have some Rum Runners at Holiday Isle, and then wake up next morning and go to KW. Then spend a night in KW.

Stop at Robbie's Marina south of Matecumbe to feed the tarpons and have a grilled dolphin sammich
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#9]
south beach at night

scuba diving / snorkle  @  j.pennincamp

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But seriously...Kew West is too far for an enjoyable day trip...I would go down to Islamorada in the evening, have some Rum Runners at Holiday Isle, and then wake up next morning and go to KW. Then spend a night in KW.

Stop at Robbie's Marina south of Matecumbe to feed the tarpons and have a grilled dolphin sammich

Go to Islamorada and go on a drift fishing boat at Robbie's. They are all good guys and know what they are doing. And at a time of the year like this, odds are it wont be too busy.

In Miami, I hope you speak Spanish. Just enjoy the beach and go people watching. Maybe get an airboat tour in the Everglades. Better yet, hit up the local fishing shops to find out which canals have the best Peacock bass. Make sure to send me a thank-you card.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Mango's.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Excellent idea's all of you, thanks. I would like to catch a peacock bass, and go deep sea fishing. How far is Key West from Miami?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Excellent idea's all of you, thanks. I would like to catch a peacock bass, and go deep sea fishing. How far is Key West from Miami?

Depending on traffic, I think its like 4 hours? Havent driven down there for a while, I usually stop at Islamorada or Key Largo. Absolutely beautiful drive though, even in traffic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Depending on traffic, I think its like 4 hours? Havent driven down there for a while, I usually stop at Islamorada or Key Largo. Absolutely beautiful drive though, even in traffic.

I see. I didn't think it was that far. Maybe Islamorada or Largo will be good enough. But then, it's not like I'll ever be closer to Key West than when I'm there, hopefully I have enough time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#16]
The best thing to do in Miami is Cuban chicks.

Second best?

Boricua baby!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see. I didn't think it was that far. Maybe Islamorada or Largo will be good enough. But then, it's not like I'll ever be closer to Key West than when I'm there, hopefully I have enough time.

I'd just suck it up and head down to Key West.

I lived down there for 10+ years, and never made there and kind of wished I did.

Islemorada was fun though.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Haulover Beach.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#19]

AND
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Haulover Beach.
Yep,'especially evenings!

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haulover Beach.
Yep,'especially evenings!

Watch yur cornhole, bud.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Jut know that if you go to South Beach club, expect to pay out the ass for cover and drinks. Speaking of ass, make sure you watch yours and be sure that chick you're hitting on is actually a chick.

Better yet, go to Coconut Grove, where the locals hang out. CocoWalk is the name of it if I remember right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Is Haulover beach some kind of gay beach or something?

I doubt I make it to Miami Beach clubs, I'd be happier drinking cheap beer on the beach. If I want to overpay for drinks and pay out the ass for cover charge I can do that in Chicago any day of the week.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I doubt I make it to Miami Beach clubs, I'd be happier drinking cheap beer on the beach. If I want to overpay for drinks and pay out the ass for cover charge I can do that in Chicago any day of the week.

You'll pay out the ass anywhere on the beach in FL.  Atleast in Miami, you'll be looking at scantily clad women from various foreign countries.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll pay out the ass anywhere on the beach in FL.  Atleast in Miami, you'll be looking at scantily clad women from various foreign countries.

Coconut Grove is in Miami......

And they are still scantily clad. BTW, hot women are all over Miami, not just South Beach.

Edit: and CocoWalk is cheaper. I take it you've not lived there?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was stationed there for 3 years.

No offense to the above posters, but South Beach is for tourists and transgenders (edit: this is the case at night, during the day the beach itself is good - top optional btw).

Most of the locals out for a decent night go to Cocowalk. You got a Fat Tuesday which has no cover, hot women and rum runners. There's Hooters, and a shit-ton of places to eat, a comedy club down the street, and some smaller bars. Pretty laid back place to hang out.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Cocowalk sounds like it's much more my style.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense to the above posters, but South Beach is for tourists and transgenders (edit: this is the case at night, during the day the beach itself is good - top optional btw).

Most of the locals out for a decent night go to Cocowalk. You got a Fat Tuesday which has no cover, hot women and rum runners. There's Hooters, and a shit-ton of places to eat, a comedy club down the street, and some smaller bars. Pretty laid back place to hang out.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "most" of the locals go to CocoWalk. You'll see a bunch of UM students there, but they're all from NJ anyway.

You could hit up Flanigan's on Bird Rd and see more locals than you would at Cocowalk, or Monty's on Bayshore

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say "most" of the locals go to CocoWalk. You'll see a bunch of UM students there, but they're all from NJ anyway.

You could hit up Flanigan's on Bird Rd and see more locals than you would at Cocowalk, or Monty's on Bayshore

Hey, the locals in my apt. complex went there. All I'm sayin' is that it's a less expensive (drinks-wise), more down to earth than South Beach.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
south beach at night

scuba diving / snorkle  @  j.pennincamp

+1000 to the snorkling / scuba diving at Pennicamp reef - amazing experience

oh, and carry your gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#32]
The grove is good on thur, ladies night and it's full of nubile celledge girls i would suggest sandbar, cheap drinks and a chill crowd. Saturdays on Islamorada at Holiday Isles the locals call it the tiki bar and gets loaded with locals.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#33]
What to do in Miami?
Get out quickly.

Go rent a car. Buy a map and drive down thru the Keys to Key West. Plan to spend at least 1 night in KW.
My employer pays me to work in the Keys for a week or two every two years in the winter. Hell somebody gotta do it..
Here is some of my suggestions:
From Miami go South to the end of the FL Turnpike thru Florida City. Look for Card Sound Road (905A)  the turnoff will be on your left at the end of town. Don't take US-1 going into Key Largo.
Take Card Sound Road to Alabama Jack's bar/restaurant It will be just before the toll booth on your right. Have a beer. Keep going on CSR till the road T's . Make a right and enjoy the ride to Key Largo. Key West is about 3 hours or 100 miles from Key Largo. Speed limit is mostly 45 mph. Key Largo has some great diving. Some party fishing boats work out of Key Largo too. Islamorada Fish Company is a good restaurant for lunch its connected to World Wide Sportsman part of Bass Pro Shops. You'll start traveling the longer bridges that connect the Keys. Marathon is at the foot of the 7 mile bridge. There's a bar/restaurant just before the bridge Porky's Bayside the food is good and beer is cold. Your about 50 miles from KW. The Mile Marker signs you'll see along the drive from Key Largo is the distance to KW. MM1 is in KW. 7 mile bridge is quite impressive.  At the end of the bridge starts Bahia Honda State Park. A great place to stop and chill. Big Pine Key is the home of the Key deer and on the way down.
Key West is the last stop. Cruise Duval St. and check out the bars. There are too many to list. But some of the better one's are Margaritaville café (good cheeseburgers like the song says), Hog's Breath Saloon, Sloppy Joe's, Lazy Gecko, the Bull & Whistle has a topless area on the roof. The Green Parrot is a block over on Whitehead St. Spend a night or two and drive back to Miami.
Enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Hookers
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coconut Grove is in Miami......

And they are still scantily clad. BTW, hot women are all over Miami, not just South Beach.

Edit: and CocoWalk is cheaper. I take it you've not lived there?

I lived there for 10+ years.

There are hotter chicks wearing less on Miami Beach then there are in Coconut Grove.  Not to mention the OP doesn't have to drive through Mogadishu to get there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top