Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2002 12:58:30 PM EDT
[img]hunting-pictures.com/members/b0ne/Mvc-002f.jpg[/img]

I thought I'd post this pic before I went to the bank and the store.

It's out in my backyard under the foot of a patio table. Never seen these before. All I've seen out here are Pharaoh ants and those tiny black sugar ants that roam around inside the house.

What are these ants and what's the best way to kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
What I use is that foaming window cleaner, It works really good! and is alot cheaper than bug killer. They get stuck in the foam and die.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
those are man eating ants. dont make'em mad!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT, now I'm off to the store.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
THOSE ANTS ARE FRIGGEN HUGE!!!

Those are for sure man eating ants!!

I say shotgun with 00 buck.

That or a .30 cal rifle with expanding bullets.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a 2 suggestions to kill ants, my sister's father-in-law uses hot pepper spray to kill them. Myself, a spray bottle full of water and a drop of dishwashing liquid. The dish washing liquid is necessary to get rid of the surface tension so that the ants won't float on the water like mosquitoes, and presto they drown.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Oklahoma ant killer:

Good ole gasoline and some matches!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
After searching the web, this is my best guess as to what kind of ants they are.  

Larger Yellow Ants, Acanthomyops interjectus, commonly called Citronella Ants

Description: These ants give off a pleasant citronella or lemon smell when crushed. Yellow ants are yellowish to reddish brown; workers are about 3/16 inch long. Workers are usually not seen by home dwellers. Yellow ants are more commonly noticed when the winged forms are swarming. Queens are about 5/16 inch long and often reddish and darker. Yellow ants have the following characteristics: 1) petiole with one node, 2) thorax is uneven in profile (workers only), and 3) compound eye is small in proportion to head.

Foods: Honeydew, rarely other sweets.

Nesting Sites: In soil under stones, logs, bricks, patio blocks, concrete and other concealed areas. They also can nest in rotting wood. Yellow ants can nest in and around foundation walls and in soil under buildings on slab construction. Workers may be seen throwing out dirt or cement particles, but they do not damage masonry or wood.

Mating Swarms: April through August. Swarms are also common during winter if ants are nesting under heated concrete slabs.

Best Pest Management Methods: Control winged yellow ants by physical means, e.g. with a vacuum, or by hand. Large numbers can be controlled with an application of an insecticide that is labelled for flying insects, such as pyrethrins; Detection of yellow ants nesting under concrete slabs is difficult and control is rarely practical or justified.

I found information on several sites, and they all say that these ants are harmless.  They do no damage and do not normally enter homes like those nasty little black ants do.  If it were me, I'd just leave them alone and they'll go away.  

[i]Edited to add that you might want to make sure your neighbors aren't watching when you go out to your patio to sniff the ants.  I know you're gonna do that now...come on...admit it...you can't resist the urge to see if they really do smell lemony.  And let us know how it turns out.[/i]  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Larger Yellow Ants, Acanthomyops interjectus, commonly called Citronella Ants

Description: [red]These ants give off a pleasant citronella or lemon smell when crushed.[/red] Yellow ants are yellowish to reddish brown; workers are about 3/16 inch long. Workers are usually not seen by home dwellers. Yellow ants are more commonly noticed when the winged forms are swarming. Queens are about 5/16 inch long and often reddish and darker. Yellow ants have the following characteristics: 1) petiole with one node, 2) thorax is uneven in profile (workers only), and 3) compound eye is small in proportion to head.

Foods: Honeydew, rarely other sweets.

Nesting Sites: In soil under stones, logs, bricks, patio blocks, concrete and other concealed areas. They also can nest in rotting wood. Yellow ants can nest in and around foundation walls and in soil under buildings on slab construction. Workers may be seen throwing out dirt or cement particles, but they do not damage masonry or wood.

Mating Swarms: April through August. Swarms are also common during winter if ants are nesting under heated concrete slabs.

Best Pest Management Methods: Control winged yellow ants by physical means, e.g. with a vacuum, or by hand. Large numbers can be controlled with an application of an insecticide that is labelled for flying insects, such as pyrethrins; Detection of yellow ants nesting under concrete slabs is difficult and control is rarely practical or justified.
View Quote

The first line of the description is hilarious.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you smelled them yet???
How about now?????
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
How about a report?  Do they smell like lemons?  Be sure to smell the right end!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
By the way, the reason insects die when you spray them with soap or soapy water is not by drowning.  Soap actually clogs up their respiratory system and they can't breathe.

In fact, I learned the best way to kill insects in the lawn from my neighbor who is a pest control guy (NOT Dale from King of the Hill, I might add...he he).  He said to spray a very light soap solution over your entire yard.  This brings most of the insects to the surface to breathe.  After 5-10 minutes, put out your insecticide.

If you are doing this for cinch bugs, make the solution a bit stronger (more soap).

BY THE WAY, have you tried some of those "lemony" ants in your ice tea?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I went out there, smashed one, picked it up, and sniffed deeply.

I detected an aroma of ...something.

Lemony? Maybe just a tiny bit.

Close enough for me!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, I went out there, smashed one, picked it up, and sniffed deeply.

I detected an aroma of ...something.

Lemony? Maybe just a tiny bit.

Close enough for me!
View Quote

Reminds me of this kid that always used to smell his fingers and smile.  I wish I didn't remember that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I suggest the same techniques and type of ammo as what's been recommened for zombies.  [url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=127098[/url]

Or maybe I just don't have my AFDB on tight enough.  [url]http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#15]
From the picture, I'm a guessin they're some of those California pillow bitin ants.  Don't know how they reproduce, tho.  I guess they adopt[:O]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Diatomaceous(sp) earth. Look it up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Those would make good sprinkles on chocolate covered grasshoppers!

[puke]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd love to submit a smart a$$ answer, but it's late and I'm tired.  Try diatomaceous earth.  You can get it at most garden stores and it's very cheap.  It's highly abrasive to little critters.  Gets in their joints and literally shreds them to pieces.  Sprinkle a barrier around your house and insects fall to pieces when they cross.

Or soak all your land with DDT, cyanide and napalm.  That's what I'd do. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#19]
It is Phase IV.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It is Phase IV.
View Quote

There is a movie best forgotten.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I am digging into what knowledge I retained from my time working for Home Depot.
I went to a pest control workshop that was given by Ortho. One of the things I remember was that Ortho wanted to present a "good image" to certain types of customers. If a certain type of customer requested information on how to kill pests without using the "good stuff" then we were to give it out.
For outdoors sprinkle Diatomaceous earth.
It will get into the joints of the body, but the main way it kills is by scratching and damaging the lower shell of the body. It "bleeds" and the Diatomaceous earth acts like a dessicant on the bug.
For indoors use Borax hand soap, the powdered kind. Works the same way, kills the little critters dead.
Of course the Ortho guys wanted us to push Diazinon (before it was banned) and Dursban.

Have a neighbor you really really really hate?
[img]http://www2.yardiac.com/images.asp?id=387[/img]

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Woohoo!

[url]doorcounty-wi.com/php/5-yak/phaseiv.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeller....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Well , they look like illegal alien ants from south of the border to me .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top