Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2002 12:30:36 PM EDT
I go to school about five hundred miles from my home district, so I have to use a absentee, but the damn thing was never sent to me! How common is this? Do I have any options (other than not voting)?

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably, but none appear that attractive:

1) Drive 500 miles.

2) Sue for disenfranchisement.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same problem.

What school are you at?
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Gonzaga University. I was supposed to vote in the district that Seatac is in, but since I don't have a car, and Alaska and Horizon are pretty well booked today (my mother works for Alaska so I can fly standby for free) it looks like I am SOL.

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I go to school about five hundred miles from my home district, so I have to use a absentee, but the damn thing was never sent to me!
View Quote

So you dragged your feet about it until election day, and then complain here? Sounds to me like you got a 500 mile drive ahead of you before the polls close.

Maybe you should have contacted the register of voters when there was still time to do something about it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I go to school about five hundred miles from my home district, so I have to use a absentee, but the damn thing was never sent to me!
View Quote

So you dragged your feet about it until election day, and then complain here? Sounds to me like you got a 500 mile drive ahead of you before the polls close.

Maybe you should have contacted the register of voters when there was still time to do something about it.
View Quote

You have obviuosly never lived in Washington during a election year. The people who send out the absentee ballots (at least in the two districts I have lived in) have procrastination down to a fine art. Each election I can remember my parents, and me since 2000, get our ballots a day or two before the election. I know lots of people here who don't get them until the day of the election, so I had no reason to think anything was wrong until it didn't come in the campus mail today.

As for getting home, see my post above. As much as I'd like it to, it is just not going to happen (even if I got there after the polls closed at least I would get a home cooked meal right?). Getting there isn't the only problem. Flights getting back here are a pain to make, and chances are if I did go home, I wouldn't be able to get back in time for most of or all of my classes, and I would be on a flight that would put me in town after the polls close.

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Is your mailman a demon[b]RAT[/b]?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are registered in King County, there has been a HUGE fuckup by the people who send those out. All day today those people were hand delivering the Absentee Ballots to people's work and home. It was a big news story today, check the Seattle Times/Seattle Post Intelligencer for an article on it. You WILL get to vote, but you are probably going to have to call up the place that send out the Absentee's and Bitch a little. But again, check out the paper, they probably will have the contact information there.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I learned earlier this evening that a truck burned in the parking lot of a mail distribution center this weekend. The parking lot is shared with another shipping company, and I don't know who's truck burned, but if it was a USPS truck my ballot may have been the tinder.

King County is where I'm registered. I'll have to check out the PI's website.

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't sweat it, I'm sure some Democrat found it and voted for you.[;D]Remember, vote early and vote often!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top