Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:12:20 AM EDT
Have I been under a rock or something? Granted, I haven't used paypal for a number of years but what's the deal?

I just bought an ACOG on EE and sent payment with credit card via paypal. Then about 15 minutes later I get a phone call to "verify my transaction". Well I have no problem with that until they asked what I was buying.[>://

My reply was "I don't see how that's any of your business!"

She said "We have to verify that it's a LEGAL purchase." .....What???

Me: "So your saying a drug purchase is out of the question"

Her: sarcastically "Yes sir, that's the purpose of my call"

Me: "This is ridiculous, I won't bother using you in the future." So the spidey sense kicked in and to avoid any possible problems I chose not to identify it as specifically firearm related so I replied "Fine, it is an airsoft part."

Her: "Oh, okay. Have a nice day"

Me: "Bye"

Since when did they start screening what people are buying? I've seen people list discreet paypal in EE ads but never knew what they meant, is this what they are referring to? Will paypal not honor any purchase made for gun parts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Paypal bad.

Do not use Paypal.

Using Paypal funds our enemies.

Do not use Paypal.

End of story.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Pay Pal is anti-gun YES
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#3]
They refuse to complete any transactions that involve firearms.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Paypal bad.

Do not use Paypal.

Do not use Paypal.

End of story.

so what other options do we have?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
This is you....crawling out from the rock you've been living under....

Sorry...had to do it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I had problems with Paypal, and refuse to deal with them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Paypal bad.

Do not use Paypal.

Do not use Paypal.

End of story.

I have not yet used it, but a member here is involved with www.obopay.com ...a startup company that allows you to pay with your cellphone for only .10 per transaction. I'm thinking of giving it a try since they are pro-2A.   edit: you can also pay via the web if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Check.

Money Order.

Obopay
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]
where is our local pay-pal apologist at today?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/7/21/t_rockm_f52375f.png

Sorry...had to do it.

LOL, thank you Daisy. Should have added my own mspaint, sorry.

But seriously, is this where the "discreet paypal" comes from?

Would have approved the scope purchase?

Trust me, I won't use them again. I bought the scope from a vet just back from the ME and he needed the $ so I thought this would be quickest way to get it to him. Just tryin to help a guy out, you know.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't bother with Paypal.  They're anti-gun (no matter what the apologists say), and there are only two types of Paypal users:  those who have been screwed, and those that are just waiting for their turn to be screwed.  When your number is up, count on Paypal to provide absolutely no assistance whatsoever.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#13]
IBTLYA4180D
In Before They Lock Your Account for 180 Days to "investigate" your purchase.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#14]
IBBSH (in before BadShovelHead)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
IBBSH (in before BadShovelHead)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I use paypal b/c it works.  It's an easy way to exchange money.  Until a better, more convenient way emerges, I'll continue to use them.

That being said, I could give 2 shits about their anti-gun policy.  They can cram it up their ass.  I've done tons of firearms related transaction and will continue to whenever I can.  If/when they call me, I'll tell them it's for condoms or something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Where the hell have you been for the last 8 years.

WTF did you think "discreet paypal" meant?  Did you think they didnt want their bank or significant other to know they where using paypal?  Jesus christ.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#18]
You should have said it was a "Dildo"....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Can they actually freeze your tied-in checking account and/or CC over a gun transaction--or just your PayPal account?  I've heard of this, but not in the real world.

In my case, they froze $2k worth of funds in my Paypal account.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just need to get creative with what you're "buying" in the subject line.

+1

Simple enough.

"Optical device"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Paypal sucks and is ghey.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Where the hell have you been for the last 8 years.

WTF did you think "discreet paypal" meant?  Did you think they didnt want their bank or significant other to know they where using paypal?  Jesus christ.

Obviously not using paypal to buy firearms or anything for that matter.

As I alluded to already, remembering seeing "discreet" in EE ads is what triggered the spidey sense. That's when I assumed if I said a gun scope, problems would have ensued.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can they actually freeze your tied-in checking account and/or CC over a gun transaction--or just your PayPal account?  I've heard of this, but not in the real world.

In my case, they froze $2k worth of funds in my Paypal account.

Can't funds be moved to one's checking account?  I think I did that once, years ago, but lately I've only "send money" and have not had any money in my account.  I buy stuff, I don't sell stuff.  

It would seem prudent to move funds ASAP, however.

Yeah, but it was automatic. I was on the funds minutes after they arrived, but apparently they have some sort of auto-lock feature. All because my account was opened, used once, then dormant for 7-8 months after that use...this was "suspicious activity".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/7/21/t_rockm_f52375f.png

Sorry...had to do it.

Not bad, but it looks like something dropped a big turd.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just need to get creative with what you're "buying" in the subject line.

+1

Simple enough.

"Optical device"

"Visual corrective lens".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#29]
ive used pay pal for the past 10 years and never have had so much as a blip. I have bought gun parts and mags. I've never purchased a firearm though. IE anything with a serial number.
Them calling to verify your purchase was because someone may have gotten your password and was making an unauth purchase. Citi bank would do the same thing. I bought gas in my home town and made a trip 4 hours away and bought gas again in that town and made a large purchase and bam card was froze and they called me and asked all sorts of questions as in where ive been and what i had bought in the past 24 hours. In the day of id theft i like companies that do that.
As far as pay pal not letting you buy a gun. cash/money orders are king when buying guns.
I dont have my pp acct on my main checking acct. My paranoia but i have never in 10 years had this acct froze. I'm not saying it cant happen just that it has not.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Pay Pal is anti-gun YES

So is eBay; I never pay anything gun related through PP; rather send a MO through snail mail. Heck, you go do a little searching on eBay right now and type either Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, 223 or 5.56 and you will find AR parts on eBay (circunventing the system ). So is much a do about nothing, and yet, they sell parts for older weapons, like 1911s, Garands, SPringfields ant the like simply because it doesn't say AR or M16; which to them sounds like EVIL CHILD KILLING, AIRCRAFT KNOCKING, EXPLOSIVE GUIDED BULLET LAUNCHING ASSAULT MACHINE GUN.

Typical liberal morons.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/7/21/t_rockm_f52375f.png</a>

Sorry...had to do it.

Not bad, but it looks like something dropped a big turd.

My first attempt at MS Paint.  I thought it was pretty good.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pay Pal is anti-gun YES

So is eBay; I never pay anything gun related through PP; rather send a MO through snail mail. Heck, you go do a little searching on eBay right now and type either Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, 223 or 5.56 and you will find AR parts on eBay (circunventing the system ). So is much a do about nothing, and yet, they sell parts for older weapons, like 1911s, Garands, SPringfields ant the like simply because it doesn't say AR or M16; which to them sounds like EVIL CHILD KILLING, AIRCRAFT KNOCKING, EXPLOSIVE GUIDED BULLET LAUNCHING ASSAULT MACHINE GUN.

Typical liberal morons.

Same company , and the ATF scared them . It's more the ATF's fault then them being "anti"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top