Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2004 2:29:21 PM EDT

South Carolina Repeals 'One-Gun-A-Month' Law
After three-decades, the National Rifle Association (NRA) is pleased to announce that the South Carolina Legislature has voted to repeal the current "one-gun-a-month" law, which has limited the rights of law-abiding citizens by prohibiting firearm purchases and establishing a 30-day waiting period between purchases. HB 3442 is now headed to Governor Mark Sanford.

"NRA is pleased that the people of South Carolina will no longer be subject to this unreasonable gun rationing law-- a law that has only affected honest gun owners and has never had any impact on crime," said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. "Gun rationing laws set a bad and unconstitutional precedent that government can limit the frequency with which a law-abiding citizen may exercise a constitutionally-protected right. If governments can limit law-abiding citizens to one gun a month, they can extend it to one gun a year, one-gun a lifetime, or no guns at all."

"One-gun-a-month" laws have been tried in South Carolina, Virginia and Maryland, and have failed in all three states. After South Carolina imposed its law in 1975, violent crime soared in both New York City, the supposed beneficiary of the law, and in South Carolina. In the 1990's, violent crime declined nationally, but rose in Washington, DC, the supposed beneficiary of Virginia's law. Maryland imposed its law in 1998, yet it has the highest robbery rate of any state, and Baltimore's homicide rate is among the worst of all major U.S. cities.

"On behalf of tens of thousands South Carolina NRA members, gun owners and sportsmen, I want to thank the Senators and Representatives who supported this bill and Governor Sanford for acting to abolish this senseless law," added Cox. "Additionally, I would like to single out the efforts of several key lawmakers who ensured passage of this reform including Representatives Bill Sandifer and James Harrison, and Senators Hugh Leatherman, Glenn McConnell, and John Hawkins. The Second Amendment is stronger today thanks to the efforts of all those in South Carolina and across America who stand up to preserve freedom."

Let's see, recent South Carolina legislation -

1. Legalized class 3
2. Extended recognition of concealed carry rights
3. Repealed gun rationing

I love it here!!!!

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
great news, so are you gonna go class 3?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Not coming after you, but when the hell is SC going to start more reciprical agreements with neighboring states such as Georgia?

Right now, when I cross the Talmadge bridge, I have to unholster my pistol and put it in the glovebox.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
That's great news Gman.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not coming after you, but when the hell is SC going to start more reciprical agreements with neighboring states such as Georgia?

SC state law says we can go reciprocal with any state that has laws equal to or more stringent than our own. We just went reciprocal with NC, and a few other states. Not GA yet.

As to the larger issue, this is America. And I live like it.  

Glad to hear you are not coming after me. I don't seem to be in your best graces.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SC state law says we can go reciprocal with any state that has laws equal to or more stringent than our own. We just went reciprocal with NC, and a few other states. Not GA yet.

As to the larger issue, this is America. And I live like it.  

Glad to hear you are not coming after me. I don't seem to be in your best graces.

A lot of states have that requirement, yet Georgia and Florida have reciprocity and Florida has much tougher standards than Georgia.

I just hope they do like a lot of states and have reciprocity with bordering states, regardless of standards.  I believe that is what the Florida/Georgia reciprocity is based on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Right now, when I cross the Talmadge bridge, I have to unholster my pistol and put it in the glovebox.

Im with you on that, I have the same problem when I cross into SC, and that 1 road goes from 45 to 25 when you cross the line.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be a big help if'fn you GA boys would write our Gov Sanford. Hes a TRUE COnservative republican.

Also, contact www.scfirearms.org They are the SC CCW organization. They'll help ya out.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The Anti NRA yahoo's will still find something to bitch about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top