Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 2:55:50 PM EDT
I was looking for larger targets to perform the tall target test yesterday and I didn't find any that I thought would work well.  I've ordered a roll of paper to build my own for now but I was wondering if someone is selling a useable target.  I figure I need a target at least 40" tall to properly test my .mil based scopes.

My current plan is to use a level and marker to draw the line top to bottom of my paper and then put a .75" sticker at the bottom of the line for an aim point.  I've ordered a 300' tape measure to ensure I'm accurately measuring the distance.  It will also be nice to see how close my Kilo 2000 is.  I was planning on measuring from the target to the scope turret as I believe that will give me the best calibration numbers.

Any other tips or scope tests that should be done to verify everything is tracking correctly?

ETA: Brian Litz's Tall Target Test worksheet - for those interested in doing their own test. http://appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/TallTarget.pdf
ETA2: Brian's video on performing the Tall Target Test.
Scope Tracking: Tall Target Test | Applied Ballistics with Bryan Litz

https://youtu.be/12Wf0Cuwwi8
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I just posted a boring topic.  It's what I get for posting about actual shooting in GD
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think many people know what the fuck a "tall target test" is

Might be a better question for the long range forum???
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think many people know what the fuck a "tall target test" is

Might be a better question for the long range forum???
View Quote
I debated about putting it over there, but it's always slow.  Besides, then no one can make snide and snippy comments
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I can infer what you are asking...

Why not buy some of that masking tape with tape measure style markings. Put it on a long piece of cardboard, and level it using clamps on a backer using a plum Bob?

Sadly, most of us East Coasters don't have the need for this...
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can infer what you are asking...

Why not buy some of that masking tape with tape measure style markings. Put it on a long piece of cardboard, and level it using clamps on a backer using a plum Bob?

Sadly, most of us East Coasters don't have the need for this...
View Quote
Interesting idea.  Know anyone who sells it?  My amazon search wasn't fruitful.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Google masking tape with measurements

Who knows how accurately they are printed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I used two IDPA cardboard targets and taped them together. I used a straight edge to draw the vertical line and aim point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Several options at amazon
View Quote
My first search for "masking tape measure" didn't find anything but masking tape and tape measures.  Second search term of "tape measure tape" found some.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I fixed my video link.  Screwed it up the first time
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
That's an interesting test and seems like a good idea. For a target I'd just use a large piece of heavy poster board that you can find in the school supplies aisle at most supermarkets.  The poster board I'm referring to is a Styrofoam and paper sandwich.  

I think I'll try that test next time I'm out.  I'll probably try to make the plumb line as faint as I can to prevent myself from cheating with the cross hair and force myself to use the level just as I would for any other shot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Find a sign shop nearby that will sell you a sheet of corrugated plastic sign material used for yard signs (usually 4x8 sheets).  It is basically plastic cardboard that you do not have to worry about getting messed up on rainy days.  You could either hand draw it or have the sign shop print a small run of rulers, with aim point, that you could stick on the corrugated plastic.  The only thing you would need to figure out is a frame or mean of mounting the target.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
OP planing on shooting tall people
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Slight update. I made my own target from one of the cardboard fold out boards for school projects at walmart. Line spacing is every 3 inches so it can be used for a 15 MOA or 5 mil wide box test. I have one line at 30 inches and another at 36 inches. Lines correspond with 30moa up and 10mils respectively.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I used some cardboard stapled to around 8-10 ft of 2x4 then made a line of hi vis targets on the cardboard.

I start at the top then start moving back, watch the drop  

At the end, you will have your distances zero'd for whatever distance you take it out with that load.

Unless you are calling it something wlse. I always called this a ladder drill
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I used some cardboard stapled to around 8-10 ft of 2x4 then made a line of hi vis targets on the cardboard.

I start at the top then start moving back, watch the drop  

At the end, you will have your distances zero'd for whatever distance you take it out with that load.

Unless you are calling it something wlse. I always called this a ladder drill
View Quote
I haven't heard of that one. I was referring to the scope calibration test Brian Litz uses. It lets you calculate how much adjustment you need to program into your ballistic calculator.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I built one for my buddy to use last night. Combination tall target test and large box test for moa and mil scopes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top