Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 3:44:12 PM EDT
What type of finish do you guys recommend for decks? It's relatively high traffic and I want something that will last, I prefer the look of stain, but if paint will hold ups better, I may use that.

Also looking for recommendations on color.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Oil based utility gray. My grandpa used it for years for everything from deck, basement floors to bed of pickup truck. Every year it got another coat whether it needed it or not.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't use paint. The house I just bought had painted the front porch, it's peeling in huge sections and will have to be completely sanded down, not a project im looking forward to.

My moms deck on the other hand is stained, and she only stains it about every three-five years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what you seek

https://www.twpstain.com/
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Clean the deck first then apply an oil based, semi transparent stain. You want something maintenance friendly, since you'll be reapplying in a few years. Armstrong Clark is a great option.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Wood type is important.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wood type is important.
View Quote
I agree.
I'm a big fan of the Behr deck stain line up.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/wood-stains-finishes-cleaners-and-strippers
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I was going to say slobber but realized that I had misread the title.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what you seek

https://www.twpstain.com/
View Quote
This.  TWP100 is all I use on PT decks, fences, and outdoor structures.  Easy to apply and dead simple to maintain.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Pittsburgh Ultra Advanced

I used the solid color variant of this in Deep Charcoal on the ramp for my shed just a few months ago.  Went on well, and seems to be holding up well to the mower, etc. on it, but it hasn't been long obviously.  Plan on using it on my deck in the near future.

As for color suggestions, what color(s)/material(s) is your home exterior?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Ready Seal.  Durable, not too pricey, incredibly easy to apply, maintain, and touch up. TWP is supposed to be very good too, but I chose Ready Seal after talking to several pros near me and due to local support/availability.  I'd advise you to check out some of the contractor forums and see what they have to say too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top