Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Fire
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You know what you have to do....

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]
How fast can they build hives like this? I park my truck less than 20 feet away, and didn't notice this until yesterday morning when I came home from work.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Spray the hive at night. Wait till it is DARK then spray the shit out of the hive.
RUN.
You may have to do it 2 or 3 nights.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spray the hive at night. Wait till it is DARK then spray the shit out of the hive.
RUN.
View Quote

I picked up some wasp and hornet spray. I'll hit it tonight. I can't believe it got that big before I noticed it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Double barrel 12 ga with bird shot. Just like for any other home defense situation.

Make sure to only wear shorts, no shirt or shoes and sit up a video camera.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Double barrel 12 ga with bird shot. Just like for any other home defense situation.

Make sure to only wear shorts, no shirt or shoes and sit up a video camera.
View Quote

I don't own a double barrel. Pump or semi auto will have to do.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
just a word of caution.  if you have a piece of spare siding, spray it w/ hornet spray.  some of the sprays will seriously discolor and practically melt vinyl siding.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
just a word of caution.  if you have a piece of spare siding, spray it w/ hornet spray.  some of the sprays will seriously discolor and practically melt vinyl siding.
View Quote

The siding on this old house is going to be replaced soon. I have a friend who is a professional exterminator. I'm going to talk to him before I use the wasp and hornet spray. He may have a better idea to get rid of them. I'm on third shift this week. I'll call him after I sleep for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#10]
What round for hornet you say?

All of them. Reload, then all of them again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Spray with soapy water. Use Dawn. Do it at night.Spray into the opening Leave area after spraying.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What round for hornet you say?

All of them. Reload, then all of them again.
View Quote

This...take no prisoners, kill with extreme prejudice.  They will do no different.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Spray with soapy waterFIRE. Use DawnGASOLINE. Do it at nightNAO!!!.Spray into the opening Leave area after spraying.RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!
View Quote

This is how I deal with bald faced hornets. My last encounter with a very large one while camping literally made my knees go weak for a moment, and I had to regain my bearings. He was 3" from my face, and he looked like the devil incarnate. I unassed the tent with a quickness that no one in my group had ever seen me do before. I don't fuck with them. Scorched earth is my only play.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I can remember my grandma wrapping a rag around the end of a bean pole (from the pile up by the garden), pouring some gas on it, lighting it and burning the bee's nests off the eaves of her house.  Cool when I was a kid, later I wondered how in the hell she never burned her house down.

Oh, the hornets, they kill/eat flies so we left them alone when I was a kid.  I've seen them work the flies over on grandma's front porch.  Fly by, hit a fly on a post or on the floor, and be gone with it almost before you could tell what happened.

Do not get stung by them.  To me, it feels like getting a red hot nail driven into my skin.  I shrug of wasps, yellow jackets, honey bees, etc.  Those white faced hornets will make me jump and shout, and cuss, and cuss, and cuss.  Bad.  I can remember my dogs getting too close to a nest down at the edge of the woods a few years ago.  The dogs started yipping, hopping, jumping and dodging around and then headed my way (you know, daddy will protect us).  I only stood still long enough to see one of those big suckers following the dogs and then I did my best to out run them for the house.  I think I beat them up here from the woods.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I picked up some wasp and hornet spray. I'll hit it tonight. I can't believe it got that big before I noticed it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RUN.

At night they'll head for your flashlight. So instead of wearing a head lamp illuminate with a light you can leave behind.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#16]
You might just want to consider moving.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Had a nest of them the size of a football in a bush, and me trimming it with an electric trimmer..  Gee, what are these weird flies buzzing around?  OH, SHIT RUN!!!!!

Bought some "pro strength" wasp and hornet killer at home depot.  Wasps drop dead at the mere sight of it, these hornets flew right through the stream like it was a car wash,  It did kill them but it took a day before the bush stopped looking like grand central station for hornets.  

Terminate with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#18]
My grandparents would always soak some canvas in kerosene and secure it the end of a long pole and burn the bastards out of trees. I still use that method today. But for a smaller nest like the one in your pic that is attached to a home, I always just used a garden hoe with a wide blade and long handle to act as a battering ram/compactor of sorts and turn their little nests into pancakes with crushed hornets inside. One swift, violent motion and its over.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Gas

No need to light, just soak at night

What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#21]
A couple weeks ago I was clearing some undergrowth around a couple trees that I needed to cut.

My daughter spotted a Bald Faced hornet nest about that size just before I cut the limb it was on.

Fortunately nobody go stung.

The undergrowth was so thick and full of leaves that it was difficult to see and I couldn't get to it to spray with hornet spray.

Went and got the 870 and loaded it with some heavy target loads.

Did the trick.

My daughter wanted to video it. You can't really see anything and there was nothing left of the nest to show afterwards. Her comments are kind of funny.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#22]

I was going to post that very picture.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#23]
.44 Mag
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#25]
An exterminator buddy o' mine informed me that carburetor cleaner kills wasps (and most other winged insects) on contact.

He wasn't playing.  I sprayed a nest of about 5 the other day and they just dropped right off the nest onto the ground.  

Quite handy and a huge can of it is like 2.00 at O'Reilly's.  When you're done killing wasps, you can clean your firearms.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#26]
2 rounds of 45 ACP
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
An exterminator buddy o' mine informed me that carburetor cleaner kills wasps (and most other winged insects) on contact.

He wasn't playing.  I sprayed a nest of about 5 the other day and they just dropped right off the nest onto the ground.  

Quite handy and a huge can of it is like 2.00 at O'Reilly's.  When you're done killing wasps, you can clean your firearms.
View Quote

I use carb cleaner and (oxygenated) brake cleaner for all kinds of bugs, just don't spray brake cleaner on your painted house.

With ground nests, I use brake cleaner as covering fire as I advance with the gas can
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Soapy water , use Dawn, in a pump sprayer will kill those fuckers Johnny-on-the-Spot. Faster than any wasp/hornet spray I'e ever seen. Got to be Dawn, in my experience, though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Soapy water , use Dawn, in a pump sprayer will kill those fuckers Johnny-on-the-Spot. Faster than any wasp/hornet spray I'e ever seen. Got to be Dawn, in my experience, though.
View Quote

After a dozen cans of $4 wasp spray, I learned of this last week.  Works AMAZINGLY well.  Seriously...every bit as good as the wasp spray.  We didn't use Dawn, though.  Just the big cheap I bottle of orange Ajax (or whatever) I had handy.  

My son's new favorite past time is hunting wasps with the gallon pump sprayer full of the mixture.  It's cheap enough, I let him go at it.  That wasn't the case with $4 cans of wasp killer, good for 3 good shots.  I fill the gallon sprayer 3/4 full of water, add a cup or two of soap, and a cup or two of rubbing alcohol (read it somewhere...no clue if it helps).

For those of you wondering how this works...wasp breathe through pores in their exoskeleton/skin.  The surface tension of water is such that it doesn't enter the pores.  The soap breaks down the surface tension of the water, so it enters the pores of the wasp.  They drown from the spray.   Quickly.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I took out a nest with an M-80 & duct tape!

Dress in full face motorcycle helmet, scarf, leather jacket, leather work gloves, jeans, brush pants, boots. You will feel like you are ready for a moon walk but you will be impervious to those bastards!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
RUN.
View Quote

This, with emphasis on run.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#32]
These are scary enough that I'd probably decide to kill them with a pen and a checkbook.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Fuck those heathen bastards , fuck em all

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#34]
incendiary.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#35]
What round?

Dragon's breath.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I tried chemical warfare, but it was General Winter that finally defeated them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I hate the things.  They built a nest under the eaves of my little shop.  Directly over the man door.   Apparently opening the door (to enter said shop) gets them primed for active duty.   Opening the door the second time, to leave the shop, initiates their banzai manoever.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#38]
wonder if spray foam would work.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Spray with soapy water. Use Dawn. Do it at night.Spray into the opening Leave area after spraying.
View Quote

This does not work. Repeat: This does not work and you will get your ass stung off.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
wonder if spray foam would work.
View Quote

Hornets nest almost always have alternative entrances.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I had yellow jackets living in a crack between the shingles on my house and that wood looking stuff they put on the exterior.
My ex-BF (from AZ) thought he'd be cute and get up there and spray them and "save me".
Things did not end up like he'd planned.  

After my dad got done laughing at him for almost falling off the roof, he got up there at night and got rid of them.  Toward sundown they only post a few "guards" outside and are much easier to handle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I thought so too. I sprayed a yellow jacket cluster on my eave. They drank it and flew towards me. I ran backwards still spraying those bastards and they continued to fly at me. I ended up falling backwards on my driveway and sliding.  Cut up my arms and lower back real nice. There may be video of this event.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought so too. I sprayed a yellow jacket cluster on my eave. They drank it and flew towards me. I ran backwards still spraying those bastards and they continued to fly at me. I ended up falling backwards on my driveway and sliding.  Cut up my arms and lower back real nice. There may be video of this event.

If it isn't posted it doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Dragon's Breath 12ga shotgun round!

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#46]
As stated above:

Wait until a little after dusk, then hammer the shit out of it with Raid Wasp & Hornet Formula.

Use the whole can - spray the FUCK out of it - and if you need to use a ladder to get closer for better accuracy, do so.

Try to get as much as possible inside the main entrance hole of the nest.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#47]
They are very aggressive and won't stop chasing you at  short distance like a wasp. I had the fortune of opening a nest up with my tractor as I as plowing past some plum bushes. They were not slowed down by having to come out of the hole one at a time. It was free for all on me. Jumped off the tractor with it running and I was still getting stung 40 yards away. After I thought it died down I walked back over to figure out how I was going to get my tractor and one came at me and stung me when I was till 25 yards away He landed stinger first too. After 30 minutes of tractor sitting there running, I decided I had to go get it even if it meant getting some more stings. I came in from in front of tractor, hopped on and braced for the worst but somehow I managed not to get stung again. Went back the next day with some foam rubber stuff in my driver's side window except for one little slot. I drove right up to them and emptied a can of wasp spray on them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I got stung twice today. I just finished dumping a can of bug spray on them.

I can still see the stinger under the skin on my finger.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#50]
AT-4
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top