Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:55:30 AM EDT
Hi Guys,

Well I got some bad news last week. After pulling a 13 hr shift at my former employment I was let go by my former employer after 7 yrs of service., (RIF)ed. They gave me only one months severence pay. After next month there will be no cash for the house,food and my only car. What can i do legally to keep my houses and car ?I mean f^&k i worked 5 yrs to get it those needed items. According to the State of Ohio, even when im unemployed I will not be eligible for much help. Has Anyone ever been in a jam like this and if so how did it come out ? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
How can you not be eligible for unemployment compensation?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#2]
That sucks.  File for unemployment and start looking for another job.

Max
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
he is eligible, he's saying it's not enough to make ends meet.

I've been there.

Get out and get a job.  There's ALWAYS work out there if you're motivated.  You're mission objective #1 is to get work to sustain your bills.  You can most likely have your mortgage company and insurance company, auto loan company etc etc suspend your payments by 2 months if you call and explain your situation.  I did and they allowed it in my case.  Made all the difference.

I got a job I hated but it brought in revenue so I could support my family.  Then, I landed a job I was hunting after, and it's all fine now.

Everything will be fine in a short while, it's just a rough spot, emotionally, for you right now.

You get there, but don't sit idle.

DO NOT sit idle.

You shouldn't even be on ARFCOM right now, you should be sniffing out employment while you're still getting paid to do it.

Good luck, keep us posted on your happenings,

H
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#4]

If you worked the whole year prior to getting laid off, you're eligible for 26 weeks of unemployment in Ohio. Plus they'll help you find a job. It's all online now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the club.  A few years ago I was laid off exactly one week before my wedding.  No severance pay.  Talk about stress...

Go find another job.  You have a month.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Believe me man im beating the bushes hard. Not much out there for management jobs, if production supervisors and managers.Alot of 7.50 - 9.25 hr jobs. Its gonna be hard to replace the 60K yr I had. Im already offing things i can do without. Unemployment said i would only get 450.00 every two weeks after taxes WTF ?? .  Thats what you get for being single and no kids and never filing for U.E ever !!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know of any good professional job outplacement company's (i.e headhunters)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#7]
That sucks man.  Look at it this way, you got where you are once, you can do it again.  When you get back on your feet, build up a 6 month emergency fund in case it happens again.  Living paycheck to paycheck sucks too.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#8]
That really sucks. I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Believe me man im beating the bushes hard. Not much out there for management jobs, if production supervisors and managers.Alot of 7.50 - 9.25 hr jobs. Its gonna be hard to replace the 60K yr I had. Im already offing things i can do without. Unemployment said i would only get 450.00 every two weeks after taxes WTF ?? .  Thats what you get for being single and no kids and never filing for U.E ever !!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know of any good professional job outplacement company's (i.e headhunters)

Two $9.25/hour jobs FT will replace about 2/3rds of your after tax income. Working 80 hours per week sucks, but it sure beats losing your house and stuff. Cut back on all non-essential expenses. Spend ALL you spare time searching for a new job. Look beyond your local area.

I have been RIFed from two jobs, both of which paid more that $60k. I know you can get through this, since I have done so twice. BTW, I was married, and had a pregnant wife the second RIF. That one ranked real low on the fun scale.

Best of luck, and I will say a prayer for you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#10]
THANKS GUYS  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top