Looks like a wheel-lock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  Wheel lock arquebus.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Nein, the blunderbuss was the original(IIRC) shotgun. that is a rifle to the max.

I will go with the Arquebus. Old as certain hell. Maybe French...?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I agree.  Wheel lock arquebus.

I vote arquebus...

A french example:

- BG

EDIT:  Doh!   Link's dead  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
To me It looks an italian wheel lock or a japaniese wheel lock because of the crank handle and the decorations on it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
You idiots, thats a Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 gigawatt range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a  new Colt, they will have a new 223 based gun with a retro look.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Most likely an early 16th century ( 1500's ? period ) European  wheellock Arquebus design.....

Probably of spanish or italian origin, judging by the embellishments on the stock. Possibly french as well....

German arms of this period, I believe were rarely adorned with such.... usually more simple and utilitarian, typical of german design.

I may be wrong, but I also don't think the japanese ever used wheellock designs.  They would have been matchlock firearms, as trade with the outside world pretty much didn't exist in japan, Until Admiral Perry sailed into Edo bay, in 1853...  forcibly opening the country, so to speak.

Hard to say with any certainty from such a small image. It may just LOOK like a wheellock, and that may be simply designs on the stock..

Also, "technically" by definition, an Arquebus would be a matchlock firearm, not wheellock but who's to know when this particular gun was actually made.... could be 10 years old theoretically

Interesting picture though.. where'd you find it ?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top