Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:16:27 AM EDT
What is the next evolution of man are we it. According to a lot of evolution theorists man broke off of a line and formed our own branch could a new evolution of man break off from our branch and begin competeing with us? We competed with Neanderthals and may have killed them off.  Could a new evolution of man come into exsistance and compete with us.  Could one of the other races be this next evolutionary step? please dont turn this into a debate about the bible it was mentioned no where in this question.   edited
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe in evolution.

However, my understanding of the CoC indicates that I am allowed to participate in any thread within the GD area of this board, regardless of whether I agree with the original poster, as long as I have a vaild opinion.

Therefore, I will offer my opinion.

In my opinion, there is no 'next step', and your question is laughable.

Man exists today just as we were created by God.

As such, there will be no 'next evolution'.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

However, my understanding of the CoC indicates that I am allowed to participate in any thread within the GD area of this board, regardless of whether I agree with the original poster, as long as I have a vaild opinion.

i edited as you were posting
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The Metrosexual. Next logical step in devolving from "Thinking Man" circa 1650-1996.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
popcorn- check

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Metrosexual. Next logical step in devolving from "Thinking Man" circa 1650-1996.

hell you never know we could turn into a bunch of wimps
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Fundamentalist Muslims!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes we constantly evolving......

The next stage is "NEGRO-MAN"...

Hance the major influx of urban messages and culture...take a look around.. "Everybody is down fo-shizzle...my nizzle"...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i edited as you were posting

Drat!

I should have quoted you.

And FWIW, look around you.

If ANYTHING, man is DEVOLVING, not evolving.

Of course, this is no surprise. Jesus warned us that in the latter days, society would degenerate to the point it is coming to.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#9]
It sure as hell ain't the metrosexual.  We'd all be doomed.  They're afraid of bugs, for Pete's sake.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
There may not be any more evolution at all, homo sapiens, like millions of other species may be wiped out. maybe by the next big asteroid collision.

For evolution to happen you'd need natural selection to happen, survival of the fittest and so on.  With medical technology we're interfereing with that process.  People with genetic defects are being treated and allowed to breed where back in the cave man dies they would presumably die off.  Other weaknesses like bad eyesight would be disadvantageous for survival, but now we have eyeglasses, contact lenses, and Lasik surgery.

In the plant world we're seeing artifically induced evolution, genetically engineered corn for example.  The corn grown today isn't the same old maize the inca's grew.  Instead of waiting for random gene mutations we induce them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#11]
What is good in life?  

To CHUSH Your Enemies!

See THEM Driven Before You....

and.. Hear the Lamantations of the Women...

oh ... wrong topic..

Everyone already knows the answer... just look at who's having the babies in the world.

The future and evolution of man looks like something between a hispanic and a chinese.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#12]
In the "civilized" first world, we're experiencing a kind of reverse-evolution, if you will. Nature is no longer selecting for the traits that it has been since Homo Erectus stood up. Our most prolific breeders are not necessarily the most fit to survive. I think we're dumbing-down and fattening-up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There may not be any more evolution at all, homo sapiens, like millions of other species may be wiped out. maybe by the next big asteroid collision.

For evolution to happen you'd need natural selection to happen, survival of the fittest and so on.  With medical technology we're interfereing with that process.  People with genetic defects are being treated and allowed to breed where back in the cave man dies they would presumably die off.  Other weaknesses like bad eyesight would be disadvantageous for survival, but now we have eyeglasses, contact lenses, and Lasik surgery.

In the plant world we're seeing artifically induced evolution, genetically engineered corn for example.  The corn grown today isn't the same old maize the inca's grew.  Instead of waiting for random gene mutations we induce them.

Mabye we will create the new evolutionary step.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In the "civilized" first world, we're experiencing a kind of reverse-evolution, if you will. Nature is no longer selecting for the traits that it has been since Homo Erectus stood up. Our most prolific breeders are not necessarily the most fit to survive. I think we're dumbing-down and fattening-up.

we cant be dumbing down we create better and better tech every year we come to understand our world more and more everyhour we are evolving.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
we cant be dumbing down we create better and better tech every year we come to understand our world more and more everyhour we are evolving.

A tiny minority of people are rocket scientists and brain surgeons. They tend to marry each other and have one kid to see what it's like. Which women in our society are punching out a baby every year? And who are the fathers? (That's a trick question; they don't even know.)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I think there is a good possibility that we (mankind) will be eradicated, or at least reduced in numbers, by the very machines we have worked so hard to create.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#18]
This belongs in the Religious forum.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

- And you belong in HELL!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

no one prays to evolution no one looks to evolution for devine help no one goes to crusade or jihad over evolution no one believes evolution created the heavens and earth how is this a religion
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
kinda like what I said
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no one prays to evolution no one looks to evolution for devine help no one goes to crusade or jihad over evolution no one believes evolution created the heavens and earth how is this a religion

Because you believe in it.  It is your faith.  It becomes the template that you use to view the world.

There IS a crusade to eradicate opposing beliefs from most areas of life, and there is a definite belief that godless processes formed the universe.  Detractors of the "current theory" are shouted down as mindless neanderthals.

How is it NOT a religion?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#23]
What is the next evolution of man and are we already seeing it?

That would be me, and that Mind Freak guy who can levitate stuff.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Fundamentalist Muslims!!!

That would be an example of DE-evolution.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#25]
i wont get any deeper into it...other than to say......"anything's possible"
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#26]
MUCH bigger leg muscles, and lung capacities from walking back and forth to work!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because you believe in it.  It is your faith.  It becomes the template that you use to view the world.

There IS a crusade to eradicate opposing beliefs from most areas of life, and there is a definite belief that godless processes formed the universe.  Detractors of the "current theory" are shouted down as mindless neanderthals.

this is not my faith I am a catholic.  I dont pray to evolution at night nor do I believe that evolution saved me
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry - Rodent is correct.

Evolution is NOT about tech or what we create, it is PURELY about whose genes is more succesful at replicating themselves.  In other words, who is more effective at breeding.

Since we have eliminated most causes of early childhood and adolescent death, it means that the huge majority is surviving to breeding age (in the civilized world).  

As Rodent correctly pointed out - the "selector" is now the matter of who feels like procreating, not who can.   (Of course, there are still other selection pressures, like really dumb and ugly guys having trouble finding a woman to impregnate, but if you occasionally watch Springer and Maury Povich, you'll see that even incredibly ugly and dumb people seem to be able to find someone to breed with).

Many intelligent people are choosing to have very few children, or none at all.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
...no one prays to evolution no one looks to evolution for devine help no one goes to crusade or jihad over evolution...  

They don't have to.  They have the United States Appeals Court Circuit to impose evolution on us.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Sympatric speciation in humans is highly unlikely.  I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not accuse you of being some racist troll, but I will call you ignorant.  Between this and the last post of your I just posted in, you have NO CLUE about human history or biology, or the basic principles of evolution.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Sympatric speciation in humans is highly unlikely.  I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not accuse you of being some racist troll, but I will call you ignorant.  Between this and the last post of your I just posted in, you have NO CLUE about human history or biology, or the basic principles of evolution.

hence why I asked the question I am new to evolutionary principals and theory.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is not my faith I am a catholic.  I dont pray to evolution at night nor do I believe that evolution saved me

Regardless, evolution apparently forms a part of your faith.  Can you not have faith in things other than what you pray to and believe saves you?

There are things that can be scientifically proven and things that can't.  Clinging to a theory and using it as a basis for your understanding of the world would meet the criteria of a faith.

Perhaps religion is too strong a word, but threads that mention faith in intelligent creation get kicked to the Religin forum.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

These were my thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Enter the Metrosexual.......good pick Gabby.  Beware the man who values scented skin moisturizer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry - Rodent is correct.

Evolution is NOT about tech or what we create, it is PURELY about whose genes is more succesful at replicating themselves.  In other words, who is more effective at breeding. Since we have eliminated most causes of early childhood and adolescent death, it means that the huge majority is surviving to breeding age (in the civilized world).  

As Rodent correctly pointed out - the "selector" is now the matter of who feels like procreating, not who can.   (Of course, there are still other selection pressures, like really dumb and ugly guys having trouble finding a woman to impregnate, but if you occasionally watch Springer and Maury Povich, you'll see that even incredibly ugly and dumb people seem to be able to find someone to breed with).

Many intelligent people are choosing to have very few children, or none at all.  

yes but mabye the human ability to create new more usefull tools, weapons and planning is what killed off the neaderthals. Mabye the next evolutionary step is not a radicaly new dna strand but a slightly different almost unnoticable one. Mabye brain size and thinking ability is the next step not
complete DNA difference.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I just read the entire thread.

I think some of you model citizens are so right you're wrong.

The average human uses a VERY small percentage of their brain.  Any 'evolution' will start there.

IBTL cause you guys are incapable of objective viewpoints other than your own.  Hmm....who else shares that trait?

Ah...I know
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Evolution Theory according to Devo  

Devo - Jocko Homo Lyrics

they tell us that
we lost our tails
evolving up
from little snails
i say it's all
just wind in sails
are we not men?
we are DEVO!
we're pinheads now
we are not whole
we're pinheads all
jocko homo
are we not men?
D-E-V-O
monkey men all
in business suit
teachers and critics
all dance the poot
are we not men?
we are DEVO!
are we not men?
D-E-V-O
 god made man
 but he used the monkey to do it
 apes in the plan
 we're all here to prove it
 i can walk like an ape
 talk like an ape
 do what a monkey do
 god made man
 but a monkey supplied the glue
we must repeat
o.k. let's go!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#38]
The question is impossible to answer or even speculate on meaningfully.  Doing so would require prior knowledge of what kind of environmental conditions we will be exposed to in the future.

IBTMTTBP.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I have conflicted feelings on this one.  I believe that through selective breeding we could diverse as a race.  That said, I do not see that happening much.

In the past we did have geographic boundaries that caused breading with a limited gene pool.  We also had environmental factors that favored survival of the fittest.  Today the majoryit of all babies reach child bearing age - just not much natural selection going on there.  Likewise we no longer have geographic boundairs - we are become more homoginious, not more distinct.  

IF people were selective about their mates (married within simular education and demegraphic background) then maybe, but I don't see it happening to the extent necessary to be noticable.

Last big "Evolution" has probably happened.

OK, Now for the Racist, probably lock the tread comment.  IMHO, slavery (as noted in various cultures throughout history) were the last big exercise in selective breeding.  Short of a Nuclear culling of the population, I just don't see selective breeding ever happening again.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Assuming that evolution is true.  Your not gona see anything different in a 1000 year span.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Assuming that evolution is true.  Your not gona see anything different in a 1000 year span.

2,000 if you're a Texan
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The question is impossible to answer or even speculate on meaningfully.  Doing so would require prior knowledge of what kind of environmental conditions we will be exposed to in the future.

IBTMTTBP.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Evolutionary processes are true and do have an impact on the scale of 1000s of years.  I doubt that the original poster was referring to humans growing wings to cope with population increases, or growing humps to deal with shortages of fresh water.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#44]
it's me! I'm the next evolution.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2,000 if you're a Texan

I'm a yankeefrom NY, so that is worse. (so I am told)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I have conflicted feelings on this one.  I believe that through selective breeding we could diverse as a race.  That said, I do not see that happening much.

In the past we did have geographic boundaries that caused breading with a limited gene pool.  We also had environmental factors that favored survival of the fittest.  Today the majoryit of all babies reach child bearing age - just not much natural selection going on there.  Likewise we no longer have geographic boundairs - we are become more homoginious, not more distinct.  

IF people were selective about their mates (married within simular education and demegraphic background) then maybe, but I don't see it happening to the extent necessary to be noticable.

Last big "Evolution" has probably happened.

OK, Now for the Racist, probably lock the tread comment.  IMHO, slavery (as noted in various cultures throughout history) were the last big exercise in selective breeding.  Short of a Nuclear culling of the population, I just don't see selective breeding ever happening again.  

what if we not nature are doing the natural selection.  What if we are destroying the weaker people by bring nutrition knowledge or destruction to less evolved humans.  By introducing nutrition and knowledge to more primitive cultures we could be are force evolving them.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
it's me! I'm the next evolution.

Yea same here... my pinky toe is twisted side ways, such that the nail faces outward. An MD friend of mine explained to me that over next several 1000 years, man will likely no longer have a pinky toe. And that the loss of the pinky tow will occur faster among bloodlines born predeominately in the developed nations.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

it has been a hell of a lot more than 1000 years since the last evolutionary step.  What if we are creating the next step.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regardless, evolution apparently forms a part of your faith.  Can you not have faith in things other than what you pray to and believe saves you?

There are things that can be scientifically proven and things that can't.  Clinging to a theory and using it as a basis for your understanding of the world would meet the criteria of a faith.

Perhaps religion is too strong a word, but threads that mention faith in intelligent creation get kicked to the Religin forum.

Creation and Intelligent Design are religious concepts, Evolution is a scientific one.  I will be the first to admit thaty many secular humanists have turned evolution into an atheistic pseudo-religion, but evolution on its own has nothing to do with religion.

I have "faith" that when I turn on a TV I will get a signal and shows will be on, but that is hardly a religion.  I also have "faith" that the sun will come up in the morning.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I think that theorizing that evolution is simply a DNA difference is narrow minded. Mabye evolution is more than a DNA difference mabye it is an evolved thinking process.  Mabye humans broke off from the evolutionary chain because we began to see things the our ancestors could not. whith every new generation we come to understand our world more and get smarter in the process.  We as a humans are smarter than our earlier generations mabye this process is a new evolution.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top