Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 11:16:25 PM EDT
I did some work for a friend of mine on his rental property since I live less than a mile away from it and he lives an hour out. He told me he was going to give me a bit more cash so make the invoice accordingly. Well I totaled out the labor and added the materials and equipment, then had an empty line for tip so he could write it in. At the end when he paid me, he handed me cash and I do what I always do, count it. It was all there but no said tip. I asked him if he decided not to give me a tip and he pulled out the invoice and said, yea about that.... then put a slash on the line. I was like ok... you told me to do that but its cool. He then said, plant your corn early. I just said will do and carried on.

So as I drove home Ive been thinking of what he meant and I cant figure it out... What does that mean??? I tried google and got a blog that told a story and a bunch of garden and corn stuff....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]

If he is your friend why not just call him straight up on his BS?  Tell him, no tip, I need to re-write the invoice, that was for the invoice price that comes with a tip

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The tip is "plant your corn early"

Meaning your not getting a cash tip.

That was his tip.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
It's another way of saying, "find better friends".
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Mr Drysdale:  "Mr Clampett, give the cabbie a tip"
Jed to cabbie:  "Plant yer corn early this year"

I love that old corny shit!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Sort of along the same line as "Don't pet a burning dog".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah just an expression like " don't let your meatloaf " or  " don't let your carrot stick "

Only time I've ever heard the plant your corn early was in reference to dropping a duece before a long road trip.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:13:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It translates to:   Feel free to urinate in the closets of my rental units.  

Win  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:15:11 AM EDT
[#10]
It means "I'm going to use and abuse anyone stupid enough to associate with me".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]
- Plant your corn early

- Don't eat yellow snow

- Don't pet a burning dog

Those are some pretty good tips.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:24:40 AM EDT
[#12]
You so called friend sounds like he just fucked you. That's why I don't have friends. Write this bum off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#13]
So its pretty much, hey I screwed you over and Im only paying the minimum of what I have to???

how does planting corn early means anything toward not paying a tip?

Now I do not mix friendship and business together, but when I do, I make sure to keep it separated. We are businessmen so of course we were on the same page and covered it before I started working, but it seems like he crossed the line from business to friendship.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#14]
It means your friend is more interested in the business side of your relationship than the friend side.

Did you cut him a break on the invoice?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Who tips a carpenter?

I'm a contractor and besides a donut or an occasional cold drink, I've never been given nor expect a tip.

I bill by the hour, thats what I get paid.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Who tips a carpenter?
I'm a contractor and besides a donut or an occasional cold drink, I've never been given nor expect a tip.

No shit.

Who provides a place for a tip?

If one is given, then I would thank them, you want a tip, go to work at Cracker Barrel or something.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It means your friend is more interested in the business side of your relationship than the friend side.

Did you cut him a break on the invoice?

I charged him accurately based on what we agreed on when I decided to help him out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
He meant to say, "John has a long moustache".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who tips a carpenter?

No shit.

Who provides a place for a tip?

If one is given, then I would thank them, you want a tip, go to work at Cracker Barrel or something.

And I am an Accountant and my friend is a software engineer... ok wow, reading is fundamental.... HE asked me to make a spot to write in because he said he will give me more.... I dont do blue collar work for fun or for work, only for friends and personal but I know tip is not expected and that kind of work is paid by the hour.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Your friend sounds like an asshat.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I did some work for a friend of mine on his rental property since I live less than a mile away from it and he lives an hour out. He told me he was going to give me a bit more cash so make the invoice accordingly. Well I totaled out the labor and added the materials and equipment, then had an empty line for tip so he could write it in. At the end when he paid me, he handed me cash and I do what I always do, count it. It was all there but no said tip. I asked him if he decided not to give me a tip and he pulled out the invoice and said, yea about that.... then put a slash on the line. I was like ok... you told me to do that but its cool. He then said, plant your corn early. I just said will do and carried on.

So as I drove home Ive been thinking of what he meant and I cant figure it out... What does that mean??? I tried google and got a blog that told a story and a bunch of garden and corn stuff....
You should have padded the invoice a little.  That's what he is telling you to do when he told you to make the invoice accordingly.  You took it to mean a tip.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#22]
what it means is: your friend is a douchebag.

when you do work for someone to save them an hour trip, they should at least give you something as a thanks.  Unless you horribly overcharged him or something,   but if you didn't, he's a douche.

ETA: unless he meant to pad your invoice a bit, basically tipping yourself.  in which case we're talking garden variety misunderstanding, and he may not be a douche.

he could be clearer though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have padded the invoice a little.  That's what he is telling you to do when he told you to make the invoice accordingly.  You took it to mean a tip.  

Yeah, so he was assuming that you already "tipped" yourself in the invoice, and the line through it was doing you a favor in case of an audit that "Yes, the total was all that was paid", and his quip was meant to be funny. You may resume sleeping with each other again.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, he screwed you.  Nice friend.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, so he was assuming that you already "tipped" yourself in the invoice, and the line through it was doing you a favor in case of an audit that "Yes, the total was all that was paid", and his quip was meant to be funny. You may resume sleeping with each other again.

I read it completely differently:  that total payment was going to made up of compensation for whatever was on the invoice and cash over and beyond that.  In other words, go light on the invoice, and he'd make up the difference in cash.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read it completely differently:  that total payment was going to made up of compensation for whatever was on the invoice and cash over and beyond that.  In other words, go light on the invoice, and he'd make up the difference in cash.

For what it's worth, this is how I took it too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Reminds me of when I was 21 and in a bar with some friends.  The regulars were sitting around the bar and getting all the attention from the bartender (who we had been in highschool with.)  At 1:30am she decides to tell us to leave.  Not kicking us out for rowdy behavior, but that we can't stay till close (2am) because she wants to shut the place up so no one else drifts in.  One of my friends didn't like that idea, and asked about the folks around the bar.  She told him they'd been tipping her more generously so they were going to stay but we had to leave.  He says, "Tip?  Here's a fucking tip:  Don't smoke yourself retarded and shit out a bunch of kids from 3 different fathers while you're still in highschool otherwise you'll be a bartender for the rest of your life."

haha.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See above. NoStockBikes nailed it. He meant to pad the invoice, that way you got some extra money, and he had a bigger write off for taxes. Everyone wins. Except when you screwed it up. Now you know...and knowing is half the battle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See above. NoStockBikes nailed it. He meant to pad the invoice, that way you got some extra money, and he had a bigger write off for taxes. Everyone wins. Except when you screwed it up. Now you know...and knowing is half the battle.

If the tip was on the invoice wouldn't that be a tax write off still?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what it's worth, this is how I took it too.

I can see how it could have been taken that way, but I think I'm right. Either that or the dude is a major prick. I'd try to clarify a misunderstanding before I assume he's evil.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#31]
tap your neighbor before her boyfriend gets home.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

But I think the friend may have been assuming that the invoice amount was the final tally, with "a little extra" already included.

The OP and his buddy suck at teh communicate.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#33]
It means overcharge his ass elsewhere and build in your own tip.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's another way of saying, "find better friends".

Which is a damned sight better tip than plant your corn early.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Corn grows so quickly that timely harvest is crucial. In an extra day
or two, the corn can grow larger than you might like for baby corn,
giving a tougher and larger ear than might be good in a stir fry dish
or salad.  Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#36]
When he said he was going to give you some extra cash, maybe he meant;

"Make the bill for less than what it is and tell me how much I owe you. I will give you what I owe you."

That's what I get from reading the OP. He was going to pay part of it under the table.

Did you have any sort of discussion when you presented the bill other than what you posted? Along the lines of "is this the ENTIRE bill?".

Just my take on it.

ETA;
edited heavily after reading the OP again.
I agree with the guy who said the two of you did not communicate well.
Contractors don't put a line on a bill for a tip.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a good point. I'm not sure if he could claim the tip, since that is extra rather than just the cost of the work. While the op would still be stuck paying taxes on it, (since it's written down and everything) if he claims it.

So I guess the payer comes out ahead in this case, (with a write off), and the payee sends some of it to the govt.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Reminds me of when I was 21 and in a bar with some friends.  The regulars were sitting around the bar and getting all the attention from the bartender (who we had been in highschool with.)  At 1:30am she decides to tell us to leave.  Not kicking us out for rowdy behavior, but that we can't stay till close (2am) because she wants to shut the place up so no one else drifts in.  One of my friends didn't like that idea, and asked about the folks around the bar.  She told him they'd been tipping her more generously so they were going to stay but we had to leave.  He says, "Tip?  Here's a fucking tip:  Don't smoke yourself retarded and shit out a bunch of kids from 3 different fathers while you're still in highschool otherwise you'll be a bartender for the rest of your life."

haha.

That needs to be in red...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Naw guys, ya got it wrong. Let me be more detaled and I apologize for not being exactly clear on this. He knows Im an Accountant and that I recorded everything (ex: worked on room2 - 10.50 hrs, room 3 - 7.25hrs, etc). I made a previous invoice that is standard, as in totaled hours and dollar amount like some regular invoice you see on a daily basis. On this last invoice, he asked to make it that way, total out labor, then materials under that, and finally an extra line for tip.

I know that he knows that I know about pushing numbers, he knows my work experience and some of the "gray areas of accounting" that Ive done because Ive told him. If he wanted me to pad the invoice he would have used the appropriate words...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Naw guys, ya got it wrong. Let me be more detaled and I apologize for not being exactly clear on this. He knows Im an Accountant and that I recorded everything (ex: worked on room2 - 10.50 hrs, room 3 - 7.25hrs, etc). I made a previous invoice that is standard, as in totaled hours and dollar amount like some regular invoice you see on a daily basis. On this last invoice, he asked to make it that way, total out labor, then materials under that, and finally an extra line for tip.

I know that he knows that I know about pushing numbers, he knows my work experience and some of the "gray areas of accounting" that Ive done because Ive told him. If he wanted me to pad the invoice he would have used the appropriate words...

Well in that case, he said you'd get a little something extra, then changed his mind. Next time he wants your help say 'ok' then change YOUR mind. If he never would have brought it up, that's one thing. But since he DID, he's a dick. Find better friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top