Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2006 11:53:42 AM EDT
What kind of shape are you ARFCOMers in?  Are you physically prepared for a SHTF situation?  

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What kind of shape are you ARFCOMers in?  Are you physically prepared for a SHTF situation?  

I am physically pffft.  

(but at least I'm not overweight.  6'1" @ 185lb)
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Like most Arfcommers, I'm prepared to live off my blubber for four to six months

Seriously, I work out when I can (average probably 2 times/week), walk when it's nice out and then there are the misc. things, like playing hockey and the occasional jog or soccer match. I'm not super "in shape" and I have love handles. I would love to be built with large shoulders and arms, and a narrow waist but I don't have time to work out like that.

That said, this thread has reminded me, I need to drop a few lbs. by later this Summer as I am going to Hawaii and I would like to look decent with my shirt off!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Im missing part of my left leg and I still get out and Jog, Ride Quads and nookie every other day. But I cannot seem to lose weight.. Im stuck at 175 no matter what I do. Oh well 5'8" and 175..
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I just shined 8 pairs of shoes....
Does that count...???

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Passed my APFT in February.  Ran four times last week and twice so far this week.  Drink at least a quart of water each day, and have cut back on the coffee.  I don't smoke or drink.  I need to lose 18lbs to be happy though.  

I can do approximately 75 pushups in two minutes and 70 situps in two minutes without working out, but I am slow as hell at running.  16:08 for two miles was the best I've done in a while.  With more work, I should be able to get it down to 15:00 or so in the next month or two.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a groin lymph node dissection last summer which left me in pretty bad shape, but I'm getting back to walking regularly, I still have a few pounds to lose from being immobilised for a few months while I healed (had a few problems there) and then over the winter I just couldn't get motivated...

I'm fit enough, not in the best shape I've ever been in, but more than able to kick some butt if the need arises.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
gym 4 days on 1 off, then rock climbing, then rest day. repeat.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in Dec I passed the Ohio physical fitness requirements for Peace officer certification... which was:
33 pushups in one min (could do 40)
40 situps in one min (could do 50)
1.5 mile run in 11:58 (did it in about 11:30)

I have been trying to keep my run time down since then but with my work schedule so random its hard to get out that often.  I did the run in 12:05 a couple days ago so I haven't lost too much of my conditioning.

Oh, and I try to get some nookie every once in awhile too.

5'9", 195 pounds (down from 225 a couple months ago, want to get another 20 pounds off of me).
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I lift 3x/wk., climb 18 flights of stairs/day and walk some at lunch.  Too old to run, but wish I could.  The knees just won't go along with running.  Even with all that, I'm still overweight and the doc. wants to put me on an additional blood pressure med. to bring things down more.  I feel like I am slowly losing the battle to age and I guess I probably am.     Gotta fight the good fight though...

dvo
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
20 mins of cardio monday to friday.  Weights 4-5 times a week.  Sex every night.

9% body fat...full abs
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#11]
My right forearm is toned and strong!

I work behind a computer screen all day. I do some yard work and that's about it. I weigh 180lbs. and I am 6'0 so I am not overweight either.  I want to start working out but I just like being lazy. I will do something because I like being able to see my feet and penis so I must develope some kind of drive for physical fitness!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Run a couple miles in the morning 2-4 times a week.  3 sets of 35 push-ups every morning and evening.  Not the best shape I've ever been in but I can cover a mile in about 6 min without heaving my guts up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Gym 4-6 times a week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]
What’s with the focus on the gym in the poll?
I climb 14 thousand foot mountains, hike, mountain bike compete in amateur endurance events (12 and 24 hour multisport races), kayak, inline skate, ski, snowboard etc, etc but never go in a gym.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
typing and nookie 10+ times a week. seriously though, i want to go to the gym but as cheesey as it sounds i dont know where to start(aside for signing up and going)

plus, buing my siz its hard to fit on some work out equipment(6'7.5" tall). i would love to lose about 50 lbs...
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I climb 14 thousand foot mountains, hike, mountain bike compete in amateur endurance events (12 and 24 hour multisport races), kayak, inline skate, ski, snowboard etc, etc but never go in a gym.

Endurance and strength are two totally different things, thats why
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Dang... I get PAID to excersize!

I teach three times a week at a spa ( what guys would call a gym)
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Physical activity stops when I start to bleed

Seriously, I've always believed in the "fight rule"  taught in the academy. Train one hour a week for every minute you want to live in a hand-to-hand fight.

Mostly, I bike,run, or kayak. I gave up on weights when the arthritis started.

I'm 6'3", 200lbs and can run a 14.20 2-mile.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#20]

i'm currently on a 4 day sched. lifting, with friday off. cardio (running 3+ mi.) is saturday and sunday.

i used to be in really good shape, but illness and hospital time kicked my ass. i'm 2 months into my reclamation of, uh, me i guess.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize there's a difference but I don't see what the gym has to do with SHTF fitness.
The first post in the thread is talking about being prepared for "SHTF".

I'll stick with being able to run, ride, or backcountry ski with a pack and whatever gear through high altitude and severe terrain for days versus time in the gym working on reps.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I got up to 302lbs and decided to say F that!

I am fat, but I do not look as fat as my weight would indicate(so say a lot of people who are shocked when I tell them how much I weigh).  I have more muscle mass than the average guy left over from weight lifting in highschool. But I have a big gut and flabby legs too.

I am eating better and I try to walk a couple miles a day.  I am down to 280.  My goal for the end of summer is 240.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize there's a difference but I don't see what the gym has to do with SHTF fitness.

I'll stick with being able to run, ride, or backcountry ski with a pack and whatever gear through high altitude and severe terrain for days versus time in the gym working on reps.

Now, dont get all offended.  It just didnt cross my mind to add the others.  I kayak, snorkel, and hike as well.  My apologies.

Ms. Snaps
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
My idea of exercise is hitting the head and the refrigerator during the commercial break.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I guess everyone has their way of preparing theselves.  I've never done many of the activities you've done, but I've run full length marathons, halfs with ease and can still bench 275 for 1 rep and I weigh less than 175
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#28]
One thing you young men probably haven't thought about much is how do you exercise after you get a little older.

I am 57 years old and my knees just won't put up with running any more.

I hit this gym a couple of times a week:

And the wife and I walk 2 miles each morning.

I know that doesn't sound like much to you tough guys, but it's a workout for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I work out about 4 times a week, focusing mostly on strength right now, in about 2 weeks i will return to my cardio cycle, which involves me running at least a mile every day for 5 days and resting 2, as well as strength-building calisthenics. I passed NY state's police fitness exam requirements, if that means anything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Gym three times a week.......
.......but ONLY because I have a (required) college fitness course that meets three times a week....

Although I still occasionally find time to do stuff on my own.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
One thing you young men probably haven't thought about much is how do you exercise after you get a little older.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=46529

I know that doesn't sound like much to you tough guys, but it's a workout for me.

im only 20 and i cant run.  I had a dancing accident in high school and busted both knees up really bad.  i was bruised for 3 months.  bursitis in both, i have to get them drained about every 3 months.   Swimming is how i get my cardio in.  i can swim for days.  (fish out of water)  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

im only 20 and i cant run.  I had a dancing accident in high school and busted both knees up really bad.  i was bruised for 3 months.  bursitis in both, i have to get them drained about every 3 months.   Swimming is how i get my cardio in.  i can swim for days.  (fish out of water)  

Um, I'm not usually one to call someone out, especially when it's about an injury, but ... a dancing accident???
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

im only 20 and i cant run. I had a dancing accident in high school and busted both knees up really bad.  i was bruised for 3 months.  bursitis in both, i have to get them drained about every 3 months.   Swimming is how i get my cardio in.  i can swim for days.  (fish out of water)  

boy i had to read that a few times. that sounds like something you'd see in some kind of spoof movie.

P.S.: not calling BS or anything. the picture that phrase is creating in my head is hilarious!

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd imagine that most people that answer this thread are in average to good shape.  I doubt you'll find to many answering "I'm fat as hell but can still fit into my SHTF gear."  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#35]
you didna list dwarf throwing.. perhaps because the UN has banned it?

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, I'm not usually one to call someone out, especially when it's about an injury, but ... a dancing accident???

my partner dropped me.  we were practicing the jidder bug on the stage,  and he let go in mid-swing (as in over his head).  i hit my head first but my knees got all the aftermath.    

i dont use it as an excuss.  i still do my cardio.  i just found a easier way to do it.  easier on my knees and my wallet ($20 a visit to doc.  $50 pain killers)

ms. snaps
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been sick.  Usually this time of year I'm running twice a day.  Now I'm lucky if I walk once a day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I hit the gym 6 times a week (2 months now) walk about 2 miles a day (3 months so far)

I wont lie I look like the fat bastard 350+ i say plus because i broke the damn scale.

losing it slow and stead to keep it off.

"I'm fat as hell but can still fit into my SHTF gear."
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I guess everyone has their way of preparing theselves.  I've never done many of the activities you've done, but I've run full length marathons, halfs with ease and can still bench 275 for 1 rep and I weigh less than 175

You do different kinds of events from me.  But most people do.

I like 12 and 24-hour multisport races with a pack of gear and done off-road, navigating the whole way w/ map and compass in unfamiliar terrain at high altitude.
I see that as more like SHTF.  Longer distances and more time being active, carrying all your shit with you, no route laid out for you so there is decision making on the fly.  I navigate in these events so the map and compass part appeals to me too.

I like backcountry activities where I carry what I need with me (like mountaineering) so it was a fairly natural transition to adventure racing.
I spend a lot of time with a the equivalent of a "bug-out-bag" (an item for SHTF) on my back playing in the mountains.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#40]

I can down a 12 pack of beer, eat a 28 ounce steak, 3 baked potatos, a super-sized salad, 2 loafs of french bread with 1 pound of garlic butter smeared on it, and that's just for breakfast!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I like 12 and 24-hour multisport races with a pack of gear and done off-road, navigating the whole way w/ map and compass in unfamiliar terrain at high altitude.
I see that as more like SHTF.  Longer distances and more time being active, carrying all your shit with you, no route laid out for you so there is decision making on the fly.  I navigate in these events so the map and compass part appeals to me too.

I like backcountry activities where I carry what I need with me (like mountaineering) so it was a fairly natural transition to adventure racing.
I spend a lot of time with a the equivalent of a "bug-out-bag" (an item for SHTF) on my back playing in the mountains.

You're lucky to be living in a place where you can do all those things
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're lucky to be living in a place where you can do all those things

I moved to the US over 10 years ago and spent a while living in Texas.  It took me a long time to get settled here.  It might have involved some luck but I put some effort into it too.

ETA:
But, yes, it is an AWESOME place to live.

Even though I haven’t raced recently there are still incredible opportunities for outdoors, athleticism and adventure that SHEISLEGEND and I take advantage of as often as we can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can relate. I studied ballet for about ten years then my knees crapped out, I couldn't run to the end of the drive now, much less for exercise. Swimming's great but I don't have much of a chance to do that now (there's nowhere close by), I used to swim every day when I lived in London.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I do one push-up a day...or if I'm really lazy I just roll off of her.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Gym is at my work so I'm lucky.  I can get a lift in before I come home.  I'm 5'4" weigh 165 and can bench 300lbs.  I also do karate 1Xwk, and submission grappling 1xwk.  I'm getting old now(40yrs), so my biggest challenge is trying to avoid injury.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Run 5+ miles 3x per week.
Strength workouts 2x per week. (Pushups, Situps, Pullups, Lunges, and other body weight type exercises)

Did a 10 mile run last Saturday.
Got a 13 mile run scheduled for Friday. (Prior engagments scheduled for Saturday)

I hope this stuff is good for me, because it is going to kill me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I can relate. I studied ballet for about ten years then my knees crapped out, I couldn't run to the end of the drive now, much less for exercise. Swimming's great but I don't have much of a chance to do that now (there's nowhere close by), I used to swim every day when I lived in London.

gosh, swimming is the only thing that i can do everyday, sometimes more than once.  I live in TX and there is a NEED for pools about this time until december.  i burn EASY.  that is my only problem!  

Edit: ok, maybe there are other activites that i could do more than once a day!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

gosh, swimming is the only thing that i can do everyday, sometimes more than once.  I live in TX and there is a NEED for pools about this time until december.  i burn EASY.  that is my only problem!  

Edit: ok, maybe there are other activites that i could do more than once a day!

Swimming is an excellent exercise but Nordic Tracking is probably the best form of exercise there is IF you've had previous injuries.  Patty
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I studied ballet for about ten years then my knees crapped out, I couldn't run to the end of the drive now, much less for exercise. Swimming's great but I don't have much of a chance to do that now (there's nowhere close by), I used to swim every day when I lived in London.

Sounds like my niece.  My sister has been pushing her in ballet since she was 5.  She's 20 now and semi-professional (Even landed a full scholarship)

The amount of  foot and tendon injuries that kid sustains is incredible.  She'll be crippled in another 10-15 years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

my partner dropped me.  we were practicing the jidder bug on the stage,  and he let go in mid-swing (as in over his head).  i hit my head first but my knees got all the aftermath.    

i dont use it as an excuss.  i still do my cardio.  i just found a easier way to do it.  easier on my knees and my wallet ($20 a visit to doc.  $50 pain killers)

ms. snaps

OK that helps greatly!

Sorry, but Arfcom is such a sausage party I just assumed you were a guy... I need to stop doing that!

Knee problems suck- I can relate. 1 arthroscopy and 1 reconstruction on my left knee later, and I can tell you when the weather is going to change. In Sri Lanka.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top