Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/10/2001 2:15:26 PM EDT
What is a acceptable business location to get a FFL? I am thinking about going into the business with my Dad. He is looking to retire from the car repair busnisss and I am looking for work. We are considering doing this and I am trying to judge if we have the capital to swing this. The FFL FAQ on the ATF website mentions requiring a business location, what what passes as a business location? Do you just need a business license from your state? Or do you need to actually possess a storefront?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:23:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:37:51 PM EDT
Profit? What is that? We just want to make enough money for Mom and Dad pay the morgage, and for me to take home enough to move out of the spare bedroom[8)] Ford is making my Dad's life at the dealership MISERABLE with their defective autos. Legions of angry customers every day with recalls he dont make crap on. And at age 56 he doesnt think he can simply quit and move to another dealership that is Chrysler only- he doesnt think anyone will hire someone that old to be a Service Advisor. So he wants to go into business for himself while he still can. Cant do car repare by himself anymore, but he is a good machineist and good with tools, he ought to be able to become a compitent gunsmith. And I know a bit about firearms, so we are turning our attention this way. So beekeeper, in the short term our house could pass muster? Till we acquire a better location?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:47:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 3:16:28 PM EDT
Did you hear about the FFL/Dealer who won the lottery? When asked what he was going to do. He stated "I'll keep working 'til it's gone." Thanks SA
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:54:39 PM EDT
You do not need a store front. Your house or out-building or a 10' square rented space at some local business if fine. ATF only cares about your compliance with what ever local zoning ordnances apply to you. ATF is allowed one unscheduled compliance visit to your shop per year durring your listed business hours not thiers. If your listed hours on the form are Sunday Midnight to 1:00 am then that is when they can just pop in without a search warrent. No other time. They will schedule a convienient time for you since they will not be able to come durring your hours. One visit per year only. The CLEO signoff is just backwards from the type used on NFA forms. On the FFL if he does nothing it goes through. He must specifically sign the form saying he has a reason to be against this. Your inventory does not need to be stored at your licensed premisis. You can only sell/transfer firearms at your licensed address and in state bonified gun shows. Any firearm you own personally must be stored away from inventory or tagged personal firearm not for sale. Any personal firearm may be sold as a private person without going through your license. Any firearms aquired after your license goes active must be aquired into your inventory through your license. Any firearm logged out to yourself for more than 1 yr is personal and no longer inventory and may be sold as much. You may purchase a firearm anywhere. Gun show any state, from any private person or dealer, or at a bus stop in Chicago if you so desire. I would reccomend your dad goes the Sole Proprietor route so he can retain any inventory when he drops license. He can list you on the form as responsible person. That way the inventory is his but you can posess it for business reasons. I would also reccomend the manufacturer's license with SOT as you can do more than a dealer can do yet still do everything a dealer can do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:06:46 PM EDT
do yall have any links on the rules of this? souch as the bound book, forms required , etc... thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:29:50 AM EDT
You don't need any info on that stuff from us. Your local inspector that has final approval on your application will go over how they prefer the record keeping, etc.
Top Top