Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2005 4:54:26 PM EDT
My dad is considering buying a new vehicle for my mom to replace the 2000 Blazer.

They want it to have 4WD, and can't be Chrysler or Ford product.

What say ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My dad is considering buying a new vehicle for my mom to replace the 2000 Blazer.

What say ARFCOM?

4WD:

Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Land Cruiser
Nissan Pathfinder

AWD:

Acura MDX
Toyota Highlander
Lexus RX330
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Envoy or Trailblazer
BMW X3/X5

Price range?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Envoy or Trailblazer
BMW X3/X5

Price range?

ETA-Unknown-but my parents are already considering Trailblazer, so maybe around that price.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
ford bronco

chevy tahoe/yukon

crew cab z-71 w/ shell

4runner
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ford bronco

chevy tahoe/yukon

crew cab z-71 w/ shell

4runner

Tahoe-too big.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ford bronco

chevy tahoe/yukon

crew cab z-71 w/ shell

4runner

Tahoe-too big.

tahoe to big. well than your not talking midsize your talking yuppy size/
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it oing to go offroad or pretty much be a mall-rat?

(I expect exceptional incentives to continue through the summer on SUV's)

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Ford Explorer
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is it oing to go offroad or pretty much be a mall-rat?

(I expect exceptional incentives to continue through the summer on SUV's)

Off road very little, if at all.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]

My  mother just bought a Chev Equinox friday, its a really nice midsize suv.
I think you can get one with all wheel drive.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah-we were thinking of it.  Anyone hear anything good about the Mitsubishi Endeavor or Honda Pilot?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Envoy or Trailblazer
BMW X3/X5

Price range?

ETA-Unknown-but my parents are already considering Trailblazer, so maybe around that price.  

Pretty nice vehiculars......

Nissan Murano
Volkswagon Touareg
Volvo XC90
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah-we were thinking of it.  Anyone hear anything good about the Mitsubishi Endeavor or Honda Pilot?

I wouldnt touch Mitsubishi motors if they were last vehicles on Earth.

Having $10billion in debt doesnt help either.

Honda Pilot....eh, :thumbdown:

Equinox?  ugly ass piece of shit, I would take an Exploder before one of them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Any of the GM models should be fine. Why no Fords?

What will be important is how easy it is for your mom to get in & out of it, and visibility.

I will make no bones about it, I am solidly in favor of purchasing vehicles from the Big 3 (particularly GM or Ford) rather than US-assembled foreign cars, but it will really come down to what she feels best driving.

The Tahoe might be a bit big for her (and unless she is hauling a LOT of groceries, overkill), the TrailBlazer/Envoy have a good motor and have been out a few years so the teething bugs should be pretty much gone. An Explorer or Jeep would also be a good choice.

The Japanese SUV's (particularly Toyota) will hold their resale better, but you will pay a premium up front for that. Nissan is owned by the French, so no more needs to be said about that. BMW is way overpriced for a grocery-getter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Envoy or Trailblazer
BMW X3/X5

Price range?

Nissan Murano
Volkswagon Touareg
Volvo XC90

If I was gonna spend the cash for a Touraeg or an XC90 I'd buy a Tahoe.  I would reccomend the Murano if it didn't look like ass.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Envoy or Trailblazer
BMW X3/X5

Price range?

Nissan Murano
Volkswagon Touareg
Volvo XC90

If I was gonna spend the cash for a Touraeg or an XC90 I'd buy a Tahoe.  I would reccomend the Murano if it didn't look like ass.  

A brand new Touareg is $33k...

You can find a year or two old one for $25k.....

The XC90, $38k brand new...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Honda Pilot is AWD, but it is an absolutely STELLAR vehicle.  We own an Acura MDX, the luxo-Pilot, and it is a very very nice vehicle.

The Pilot offers excellent features, excellent powertrain, excellent power, excellent value, excellent reliability, top crash ratings......

I would easliy rank it among the top three in primaryily road going SUV's.  It could probably do pretty well on loose gravel/dirt off-road excursions, but I don't think it is stout enough to handle Rubicon or Baja type excursions.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any of the GM models should be fine. Why no Fords?

What will be important is how easy it is for your mom to get in & out of it, and visibility.

I will make no bones about it, I am solidly in favor of purchasing vehicles from the Big 3 (particularly GM or Ford) rather than US-assembled foreign cars, but it will really come down to what she feels best driving.

The Tahoe might be a bit big for her (and unless she is hauling a LOT of groceries, overkill), the TrailBlazer/Envoy have a good motor and have been out a few years so the teething bugs should be pretty much gone. An Explorer or Jeep would also be a good choice.

The Japanese SUV's (particularly Toyota) will hold their resale better, but you will pay a premium up front for that. Nissan is owned by the French, so no more needs to be said about that. BMW is way overpriced for a grocery-getter.

My family is a GM family-we have had too many probs with Fords.  It is important for her to get in and out easy-
It will pretty much be the stuff hauler/grocery getter.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Honda Pilot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are there amy particular issues with the Endeavor? My BIL has had good luck so far with his 03 Galant.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I went Isuzu Axiom over Trail Blazer in 2003.
Very happy with my choice. It likes the snow and to me the ABS feels better than the TB.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Are there amy particular issues with the Endeavor? My BIL has had good luck so far with his 03 Galant.  

Nearly every Mitsu model, EXCEPT the Lancer Evolutions has major issues at some point.  I think they rank in the very bottom in reliability ratings -- which is why they offer such great warranties. Seriously.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honda Pilot.

Exactly.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Very happy with my choice. It likes the snow and to me the ABS feels better than the TB.

The Isuzu lineup for 2005 is down to the  Ascender-rebadger Envoy/TB.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#25]
My next door neighbor has an Isuzu that required a motor replacement after a few years, Isuzu fought honoring the warranty tooth & nail, and finally settled paying for labor, leaving my neighbor several thousand dollars in the hole.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I know this is a violation of the "rules"-but how do those that have Explorers like 'em?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I really like my Trailblazer.  I get around 20 mpg on the highway and 15 in the city.  The seats are comfy, not the super narrow buckets they like to put in cars these days.  It has a lot of neat little features, like dual heat/AC controls, auto volume on the stereo, and a total of four cigarette lighter power plugs including one in the cargo area.  The transfer case has settings for 2wd, all wheel drive, 4HI and 4LO.  All that is standard.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I know this is a violation of the "rules"-but how do those that have Explorers like 'em?

A good friend of mine is on Explorer #3, he sold #1 for a fair amount...about $3000 for a '92.

He gave #2 to his dad.

He is driving #3 now, a 2004.....

He test drove EVERYTHING that competes with it and STILL decided on the Explorer.  Though he LOVED the Pilot and the XC90.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I have an Infinity QX4 and I love it.  It has AWD, which I really like.  Check into it.  It's not a bad SUV, and I haven't had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean, any personal issues?  Then no.  Like I said, I wont even touch a Mitsu, I will barely even look at them.  They are all ugly, and I dont think they are that great of cars.

As well as being $10bln in debt, cant help their situation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have an Infinity QX4 and I love it.  It has AWD, which I really like.  Check into it.  It's not a bad SUV, and I haven't had any problems with it.

It's the upscale Nissan Pathfinder.  It is a top quality SUV, but lots of folks have problems with the Renault connection {French}......
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Isuzu lineup for 2005 is down to the  Ascender-rebadger Envoy/TB.  

Yeah, but you can find some killer deals on '04 Rodeos and Axioms.  Saw a fully loaded Rodeo for 18,000 at the local Isuzu stealership.  Asender is a good deal since it is basically a Trail Blazer for much less and a better warranty.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the upscale Nissan Pathfinder.  It is a top quality SUV, but lots of folks have problems with the Renault connection {French}......

While others have no problem with contributing to the folks who stabbed us in the back with respect to Iraq...

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My next door neighbor has an Isuzu that required a motor replacement after a few years, Isuzu fought honoring the warranty tooth & nail, and finally settled paying for labor, leaving my neighbor several thousand dollars in the hole.

Bet it was a oil issue.  If he let the oil get to low and the motor seezed, they wouldn't do the warranty work.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I know a lot of people consider the Pontiac Aztek to be the fugliest SUV/thing on earth, does anyone have one and like it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have an '02. The truck had some teething problems initially, but the dealer took care of everything eventually. I'd give it a "C" overall.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an '02. The truck had some teething problems initially, but the dealer took care of everything eventually. I'd give it a "C" overall.

What was wrong? Did it have problems with its gums?

seriously...was it the early build/hopefully it would be worked out by now stuff?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

seriously...was it the early build/hopefully it would be worked out by now stuff?

Let's see...

The sway bar bushings went out early, maybe at 8,000 miles. They made an obnoxious squeaking noise that required them to be replaced. Trip to dealer #1.

A 5" piece of body molding under the liftglass cracked in half in the extreme cold and required replacement. Trip to dealer #2.

The 4X4 electronic control module went out last year right before several bad snowstorms. I had no 4WD when I needed it most. Trip to dealer #3.

Automatic transmission required adjustment of some kind as there was substantial hesitation when shifting from park to drive. Combined with trip #3 to dealer.

I'm waiting for the next problem to happen. I should have learned about Ford products with my 1988 Mustang. Now that was a nightmare.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's see...

The sway bar bushings went out early, maybe at 8,000 miles. They made an obnoxious squeaking noise that required them to be replaced. Trip to dealer #1.

A 5" piece of body molding under the liftglass cracked in half in the extreme cold and required replacement. Trip to dealer #2.

The 4X4 electronic control module went out last year right before several bad snowstorms. I had no 4WD when I needed it most. Trip to dealer #3.

Automatic transmission required adjustment of some kind as there was substantial hesitation when shifting from park to drive. Combined with trip #3 to dealer.

I'm waiting for the next problem to happen. I should have learned about Ford products with my 1988 Mustang. Now that was a nightmare.

On paper the Explorer looks good...but after 3 Ford vehicles('85 Tempo, '81 Fairmont, and '94 Aerostar) I'm not too sure.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#40]
The new Toyota 4Runner is awsome, get the V8 w/ AWD. I love mine... If he drives it like he stole it, tell him to get the optional X-reas suspension... HOLY SHIT, you'll stick to the road.

Ultra reliable too and handles like a knife.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I have an 04 Jeep Liberty that I love.  Have slightly over 19,000 and have not had a problem yet.  My wife likes mine so much she got an 05.  Nice comfortable seats, good cargo room, ballsy V-6.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Honda Pilot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Honda Element.

Function over form, but not for those that require "approval" from peers. Dare to be different
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#44]
4-RUNNER...
You just get in and go...
Repeat for a couple hundred thousand miles...
Nothing more to say..
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Compact: Jeep Liberty or honda Pilot

Small:  Toyota 4Runner or Jeep Grand Cherokee

Mid sized: Chevy Tahoe or Toyota Seqoia

Chevy Suburban if you want full sized.

H2 if you're a yuppie.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Tell your folks to live a little.

CW
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#47]
The new Jeep products are "Mid", and pretty nice overall.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I have a 93 Explorer and it has been trouble free. Automatic transmission and 4.0 motor. Well built 4X4.
Hell of a good hunting machine. 20mpg on the highway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say ARFCOM?

4WD:

Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Land Cruiser
Nissan Pathfinder

AWD:

Acura MDX
Toyota Highlander
Lexus RX330

I concur.

FWIW, I haven't heard much good about the Trailblazer/Envoy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Honda Element.

Yep.......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top