User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 10:56:52 AM EDT
100 black rifles?
What would the outcome have been?
(I know it's dumb but i'm bored)
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure they could have painted their carbines black, but I don't think it would have saved their a$$es... hehehe

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#2]
If he had just brought the two Gatling guns that he had with his train, instead of leaving them both behind, he could have saved the day!

Talk about an ugly black rifle!

As it was, the Indians were armed with repeating rifles, Henrys and Winchesters. You know, the evil black rifles of the day!

The 7th Cavalry was armed with Springfield Trapdoors!

It was a massacre!

Eric The(NotFunny)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
What Eric said. Custer left behind his assigned pair of Gats because he felt they would slow him down on the attack, because of the extra weight. A terrible mistake by an otherwise brilliant officer. (Remember that Custer graduated from the Point DURING the War of Northern Aggression, and was a general before the War ended.)

Scott

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Yrah I know what he left behind and I know the mistakes he made(and he didn't come in very high up in his west point class)

THE QUESTION WAS WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED "IF"
HE HAD 100 M16'S ?
Just for once will you guys try and answer the question before you?
Anf then make your statements,Please.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Post from DScottHewitt -
Remember that Custer graduated from the Point DURING the War of Northern Aggression, and was a general before the War ended.
View Quote

I know, I know. I would have supported the Sioux in this battle, except for the fact that about half Custer's men had fought for the South or were from the South.

Just a little payback for 'Old Yellow Hair' for some lessons he had given us in Virginia. It was Custer who received the Confederate flag of truce, which preceded Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House on the morning of April 9.

Eric The(NotLikelyToForget)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Post from jrzy -
THE QUESTION WAS WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED "IF" HE HAD 100 M16'S ?
Just for once will you guys try and answer the question before you?
View Quote

Sorry, [b]jrzy[/b]!

He would have torn up Sitting Bull's men, and slept very comfortably that evening.

Now, if Lee had those same 100 M-16s at Gettysburg......

Eric The(We'dAllBeInHighCotton!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]
The real question is what would have happened if Custer had just one [b]Bazooka[/b]

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
IF my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle!

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Nuts," said the Queen, "If I has two I'd be King."
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
100 black rifles?
What would the outcome have been?
(I know it's dumb but i'm bored)
View Quote

His men would have gone nuts trying to chamber .45-70 rounds in them. [;)]

What if the Saxons had had 100 M16s at the Battle of Hastings?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#11]
If he had 100 ARs I imagine he would have got slaughted by a lot fewer Souix.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

"Nuts," said the Queen, "If I has two I'd be King."
View Quote

The expression goes like this,
"Balls said the Queen,if I had a pair i'd be King" [:D]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]
(Nomex Suit On)
He would have been buried with jammed AR's instead of empty Springfields.

Seriuosly I wonder how long it would take for a calvary trooper to figure out an AR. Especially the cocking lever.

They would also probably want to cock it each time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
(Remember that Custer graduated from the Point DURING the War of Northern Aggression, and was a general before the War ended.)

Scott

View Quote

The "War of Northern Aggression"?  I've never heard of such an event.  What are you referring to?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
(Remember that Custer graduated from the Point DURING the War of Northern Aggression, and was a general before the War ended.)

Scott

View Quote

The "War of Northern Aggression"?  I've never heard of such an event.  What are you referring to?
View Quote

IMHO, you so silly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The real question is what would have happened if Custer had just one [b]Bazooka[/b]
[:D]
View Quote

Bazooka-Schmazooka.

[-=(_)=-]

[XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(][XX(]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If he had 100 ARs I imagine he would have got slaughted by a lot fewer Souix.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scott
View Quote

View Quote

the war of southern independence, second american revolution, war of southern treason, war between the states, civil war, etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#20]
OH!  The [i]Civil War[/i]!

Few are the situations when the losers write the history, but I guess that some still try.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If he had just brought the two Gatling guns that he had with his train, instead of leaving them both behind, he could have saved the day!
View Quote

If he had brought those along, he would never have reached the Indian camp in time to acomplish his mission.

Quoted:

Talk about an ugly black rifle!

As it was, the Indians were armed with repeating rifles, Henrys and Winchesters. You know, the evil black rifles of the day!

The 7th Cavalry was armed with Springfield Trapdoors!
View Quote

Most of the Indians were armed with .50-70 Trapdoors or Sharps breachloaders. Blown up .45-70 cartridge cases recovered from the field confirm that they tried to fire rounds captured from the soldiers in their .50-70s.

The Indians had some 200 Henry and Winchester 1866 rifles in .44 rimfire, based upon cases recovered from the field. It is know that Red Cloud the Winchester 1873 .44-40 (presented to him after he signed his peace treaty) to one of his kin, who may have fought in the battle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The expression goes like this,
"Balls said the Queen,if I had a pair i'd be King" [:D]
View Quote

Actually, it goes like this:

"Balls," said the Queen, "If I had two I'd be King."
"Haha," said the King, "not because I have to but because I have two."
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Duh!
If Custer would have had 100 M16s, than the Injuns would have toted a similar number of AKs around. That's what.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Even with M-16s, the outcome would have been the same. The Cav troopers were wiped out due to poor fire discipline caused by lack of training. With M-16s they would have still missed their targets - at 750 rounds per minute.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Tactical Nukes
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#26]
From the Custer Battlefield Historical & Museum Association website:

"The battalion with Custer attained the final stand position where it succumbed to the fire power of the Indian force. Modifications and combinations of both approaches exists, and the scholar will have to arrive at an independent conclusion about any of them. The recent archaeological studies have made clear that although the Sioux and Cheyenne were not uniformly armed with rifles and pistols, there were far more firearms present than previously believed. [b]The cartridge casings provided the evidence of a far larger number of repeating rifles among the Indian weaponry. These casings also indicate that the flow of battle moved from the Calhoun position to the Last Stand area.[/b] Furthermore, the Indian armament would have steadily improved as carbines, pistols and ammunition were taken from the dead."

See article at:[url]http://www.intuitive.com/sites/cbhma/history.html[/url]

Eric The(Historical)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#27]
reminds me of the old saturday night live skit "what if Naploean had a B-52 at waterloo?"
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]
"...There is no doubt that some arms..failed to function when fired rapidly which was due to the softness of the..shell casing...Powder residue, gases and grease did foul the receivers. The...steel, expanding rapidly upon heating, literally welded the empty shell casings to the chamber, When ejection was attempted, the extractor cut through the..rim of the shell or jumped the rim entirely. The employment of a ramrod was the only sensible aid to be used in dislodging the shell and cleaning rods were (in short supply). Prying the shell out..was a slow proceddure...Recommended remedial action was almost pathetic...To attempt to close the..breech on a shell casing which the ejector had jumped was a "recruit trick" which only served to further impair the already sprung extractor and further jam the shell casing. And jamming, if one can accept contemporary comments, was constant.."

Sounds like Custer had his "black rifles" as this quote was taken from page 209 of The Black Rifle-M16 Retrospective descibing the "events of over 100 years ago concerning the 1873 Springfield trap-door carbine and the soft, copper cased .45-70 cartridges of that era."
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Well if you really want a "what if" scenario, go rent "The Final Countdown".

There is something beautiful about a Tomcat shooting down a Japanese Zero....

[-=(_)=-]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top