Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 8:58:21 PM EDT
Being unemployed for the last 6 months has really sucked in some ways.  I finally found a job and things should be getting better shortly.  I've missed out on so many things due to not have any spare cash, that I try not to think about it because I'll get really bummed.

What have you missed out on?

Here's what I missed.
Was planning on going to Knob Creek the first week of Oct last year.  Had the plans and hotel lined up.  Company went out of business 4 days before the event.

No cash to buy any CMP Garands for last year.

No cash for the limited edition GSSF Glock-17, the order forms have to be in buy the end of March for those of you who want one.

No cash for the LEGP 1911.

No cash for a group purchase on FAL receivers.

No cash to pay for range fees and ammo.

Hopefully, I will be able to get in on the 2002 LEGP rifle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Being unemployed for the last 6 months has really sucked in some ways.  I finally found a job and things should be getting better shortly.  I've missed out on so many things due to not have any spare cash, that I try not to think about it because I'll get really bummed.

What have you missed out on?.
View Quote

No cash for the LEGP 1911, even though I started the idea by prodding Anti and G&B about it.

No cash for a group purchase on FAL receivers.

No cash to pay for range fees and ammo.

No Cash for the 2002 LEGP rifle

No Cash for bills. Have a nice collection of past due notices. Hell, I have gotten to know Western Union real well for their quick collect feature. I think the local Tom Thumbs know me as the "past due must pay know thru western union" guy. Doing the ole pay Visa w/ MC, which was use to pay the car ,cause the money was used to pay rent, cause that money was used for groceries and utilities
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Steady paycheck
2. Benefits like medical/dental/vision insurance
3. Semi-regular supply of dirt bikes in my garage for evaluation
4. Hanging out with some really cool people at the office
5. Oogling some really fine womenz at the office (and on the street scene when going out to lunch)

But I [i]love[/i] the freedom that being unemployed (a freelancer working steadily on various stories and photo shoots) brings. Don't know if I could go back to the office full-time, especially trying to put up with commuting an average of an hour each way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey SWIRE, were you talking about coming to Knob Creek, KY?  Just outside of Louisville?  I live here and just wanted to let you know they are having a machine gun shoot April 12-14th.  I am planning on going and just wanted to let you know.  Later.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What have I missed out on?  Everything!  I am working a job that is WAY below my pay scale just to pay the rent.  Anyone in the Seattle area looking for a good , honest salesperson or manager??????? (Hint hint hint)
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been out of work for 8 months, but I had enough saved so I was able to spend my unemployment checks (aka happy checks) on guns and ammo.

However, I had planned to buy a 2002 740i in October, and a house a couple of months later, but I had to put both on hold. So, for me it's not the little things, I still do whatever I did before, it's just the big items I had to postpone.

Anyway, I've been doing a little consulting on the side, so I haven't even bothered looking for a full-time job since I was laid-off in July. But I need to start looking soon as the consulting gig is set to end pretty soon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Good quality 1911 .45's for as little as 300 bucks- some of them actually made in Hartford in the 30's- and even at that price I cant afford one![>(]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Who's the govt bozo that sez we aren't in a recession? [:(!]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Laid off Jan 2001 - July 2001

BTW:  My second son was born 9 days after I was laid off.

Michigan's new CCW law went into effect July 2001.  It requires you to take a class before you apply.  I did not have the money to take the class at a reduced group rate with all my buddies.

Now I've been forced to move from Northern MI (A.K.A. Nirvana / Traverse City) to the Southeastern MI area (A.K.A. cesspool / Ypsilanti).  The class costs 4 times as much and I'm still waiting to take it.  (Not enough places offering the class.) On top of that I have to join a gun club to have a place to shoot.  Bonus to gun club membership:  I get to take $20 off the CCW class when I take it through the club.  

On the bright side:  Even though I now live in a crappy area I have the best job I have had to date.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Now I've been forced to move from Northern MI (A.K.A. Nirvana / Traverse City) to the Southeastern MI area (A.K.A. cesspool / Ypsilanti).

View Quote

That does suck! I spent a lot of time in the Houghton Lake area, Deer hunting and fishing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]
-Being lied to constantly
-Being asked to do something by the boss that was his job, then he gets the credit
-Being asked to keep equipment running with 1/2 of the maintenance guys severed
-Being asked to maintain the 9,000 tons of HVAC with about $100,000 (seeeveral times shy of what is needed)
-Being lied to and standing there smiling like I don't know I am being lied to because if I do maybe they won't severe me too (doesn't work)
-Watching my back for the knives put there by co-workers in management because maybe they can keep from being severed by making me look bad and on and on

ACTUALLY it has been great even though the extra money is not there for guns and ammo and eating out and such.     I will NEVER be in the same situation that I was in again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
The BRC
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
SWIRE - Sucks - and I wish you well - better things will come!
And thank you for making me aware of the LE GSSF G17
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Peace, Quiet, and Hobbies.

My wife's mother retired two and a half years ago, and moved in with us (no-where else to go - can't move to OK due to medical.)  She has emphysema and COPD, and can't do much.

She spends most of her time parked on the courch and interrogating me about whatever I happen to be doing...

At least I still work at the range on week-ends - I need the time out of the house!

FFZ
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top