Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 2:19:04 PM EDT
Anybody know what car dealers do with cars they can't sell off the lots?  Like, what happens to the 2002-2003 cars that are left on the lots?  Do they lease 'em out for fleets?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
They are taken by the undead.  Really, have you ever seen zombies walking down the highway?  They drive to the edge of the town or mall they are going to infest.  Ironically, they never park in the handicapped spots.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
strait to the crusher
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If you go to one local dealer, they sell 2003 Xterras for the same price as 2004s. I walked from that dealership too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no such thing as an unsold car.

Quoted:
Anybody know what car dealers do with cars they can't sell off the lots?  Like, what happens to the 2002-2003 cars that are left on the lots?  Do they lease 'em out for fleets?  

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are taken by the undead.  Really, have you ever seen zombies walking down the highway?  They drive to the edge of the town or mall they are going to infest.  Ironically, they never park in the handicapped spots.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Tannerite of course!

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold Fords for a few months long ago.  It's all about "floor plan".  

The dealership gets cars based on how many they sell.  After a certain amount of time, they start paying the car company for any unsold ones still on the lot.  The price goes up, the longer the car is there.  That's what's called the "floor plan".  They'll start paying at 30 days, then the "rent" goes up at 60 days, then up again at 90 days as an example.  So the incentive to move cars, even at a loss sometimes, is VERY high.  

Sometimes you'll see an ad in the paper that's a super deal.  The ad will say it applies to "stock number 12345" or otherwise to a particular car.  Usually the dealership is dumping that car before they have to start paying on it (or are paying on it now).  Big dealerships move a tremendous amount of cars, I mean a bunch each day, a dozen on the weekend depending on what's going on, time of year, etc.  We had hundreds of cars on the lot, and only had one last longer than 30 days.  That thing got cut to the bone and was gone in a hurry once they had to pay on it.

There won't be any left over, really.  Selling at a small loss, if you get a trade-in for basically free, is fine too.  The used car lot on the dealership is where all the money is.  That's the cash cow.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
They put them on a train to Mexico and sell them for $90K a pop, all models and brands.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Ross, thanx for the info...just curious about a 4x4 i saw, i'll wait and wait and wait and......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top