Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 1:29:35 PM EDT
Did the Liberal Mods finally crush free speech?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
To quote a sig line: "Your freedom ends at my nose". The limits of free speech on this site are set by the Administrator and by the Moderators he has to assist him. Feel free to make your own forum to say whatever you feel like saying. However, more than likely, you will find it necessary to limit the speech and conduct of the people who join your forum, too....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually we have been quite liberal in the fact that we haven't locked your account already.  Trolling around suggesting illegal machinegun conversions and illegal machinegun get togethers is more than enough reason to have done so!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your rights to free speech are limited by the board code whilst on this site.  I STRONGLY urge you to review and abide by them.
View Quote

Where are they posted? This link is dead:

[url]www.ar15.com/help/pospancy.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?id=25[/url]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your rights to free speech are limited by the board code whilst on this site.  I STRONGLY urge you to review and abide by them.
View Quote

Where are they posted? This link is dead:

[url]www.ar15.com/help/pospancy.html[/url]
View Quote

Try the thread "Forum Conduct Code" at the top of EVERY category......

Scott

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Me? A liberal?

Heh-heh-heh-heh.

[b]Ted Kennedy's rolling over in his grave![/b][:D]

Eric The(IKnow,IKnow,ButHeWillBeOneDay![:D])Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Great job staff. I enjoy this site and I would like to see it stick around.  That is why I am now a paying member. Stick to your guns. (pun intended)

Thanks again,

Tom
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Never seen this many staff and mods in one thread!  Looks like I missed an utterly moronic thread.  

Just out of curiousity, would there be liability for the site if idiots posted "how-tos" and they were busted or hurt someone?  It seems pretty farfetched after reading the case law on it.  And no, I'm not saying it should be allowed, the site should not post illegal stuff, unless AR15's and the like are permanently and completely.  (Then we can turn this into the ETH Middle East Info Page!)
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never seen this many staff and mods in one thread!  Looks like I missed an utterly moronic thread.  

Just out of curiousity, would there be liability for the site if idiots posted "how-tos" and they were busted or hurt someone?  It seems pretty farfetched after reading the case law on it.  And no, I'm not saying it should be allowed, the site should not post illegal stuff, unless AR15's and the like are permanently and completely.  (Then we can turn this into the ETH Middle East Info Page!)
View Quote

Liability is kind of hard to predict ahead of time. Depends on the jury/judge/climate/etc. Better safe than sorry......

Scott

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know the details, but I heard about an author who published a book titled something like "How to Be a Hit-Man", and someone followed his directions. The author was protected by the 1st-Amendment against criminal charges, but lost a civil suit.

I heard this from a lawyer, but I might have got it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The limits of free speech on this site are set by the Administrator and by the Moderators he has to assist him.
View Quote
Free speech is a restriction on government power; not the ability to speak on a private forum. The forum rules thus have no impact on one's right to speak.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know the details, but I heard about an author who published a book titled something like "How to Be a Hit-Man", and someone followed his directions. The author was protected by the 1st-Amendment against criminal charges, but lost a civil suit.

I heard this from a lawyer, but I might have got it wrong.
View Quote

A man was hired to kill a disabled boy and his mother, because the father/ex-husband didn't want to keep supporting the child, who was dependent on several expensive medical devices to live. Hit man also killed the nurse who was on duty the night of the killing. The "Hit Man" book was printed by Delta Press, IIRC. The author was actually a bored housewife who put together all kinds of stuff she saw on TV....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The limits of free speech on this site are set by the Administrator and by the Moderators he has to assist him.
View Quote

Free speech is a restriction on government power; not the ability to speak on a private forum. The forum rules thus have no impact on one's right to speak.
View Quote

Actually, the forum rules have HEAVY impact on the "right" of people to speak on this (and any other) forum. Just as a visitor in your home is expected to abide by your requests, visitors to this online "residence" are bound by the Conduct Code. The First Amendment applies to government agencies. Congress cannot say you can't cuss here. However, The Administrator and Moderators CAN tell you not to cuss or discuss forbidden topics....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#18]
So i guess there will be no IMG forum added to the site. oh well.

Sounds Good!  See ya all at the BRC!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#19]
You tell 'em guys!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
However, The Administrator and Moderators CAN tell you not to cuss or discuss forbidden topics....

Scott

View Quote

You are correct sir! and their actions in no way effect your 1st amendment protection from Congress infringing your right to free speech
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top