Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 4:47:04 PM EDT
He had a good run with a series of books back in the 90s. Is he in hiding or just washed up?

ViCAP
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
He's Richard Marcinko, a liar and a bad writer... who cares?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
who?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Was he really a liar?

I thought his first book was good. The rest went down hill.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The Rogue Warrior, I read his books with a grain of salt
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it was entertaining, FWIW. The ending was a kick in the pants, though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've  read all of his books, they were very entertaining.

he kept referring to a corporate training center he was setting up.

but what do I know, I'm just an armchair commando.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
He keeps writing a new book every 2-3 years and keeps running his consulting company.  Very rich man.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
He has a weekly syndicated radio show called America on Watch.   It's just ok.

As far as the books go, the first one is an autobiography and the rest were penned by a ghostwriter (John Wiseman I believe).  

Word is that Demo Dick, Sharkman of the Delta, has a spot of trouble with the hooch.  

No denying though, that in his day, he was one bad mofo.  Commanded Seal Team 2, founder of Seal Team 6 and Red Cell.  

He's a true warrior.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
He reinvented himself as Jon Paul Mitchell, hair stylist to the. . . well, women who watch Oprah.

Paul Mitchell

Marcinko

Any man who spends more time on his beard than is strictly necessary will eventually become a dork.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've  read all of his books, they were very entertaining.

he kept referring to a corporate training center he was setting up.

but what do I know, I'm just an armchair commando.

It never happened.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
He served.

He don't rate a bad mouth -- he isn't running for president....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Word is that Demo Dick, Sharkman of the Delta, has a spot of trouble with the hooch.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He liked to hit Bombay Sapphire gin ------ when off the job. Big deal
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dick. You been into combat leading SEAL teams?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to like his books, but he just talks about what a freaking badass his is and it kind of drives me nuts seeing as how he doesnt mention his team members on the same level of his.  So much tooting his own horn it really takes away from some otherwise good stories.
Edited to add: One of my buddies actually met him at a book sighting, didnt have much to say about it other than to say he was surprised that he was actually kind of short.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty good auther, seems like a nice guy but damn he's conceded
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]
You mean conceited?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#18]

used to like his books, but he just talks about what a freaking badass his is and it kind of drives me nuts seeing as how he doesnt mention his team members on the same level of his.

He ain't gonna sell books telling you how to fill out government paperwork! And I disagree-I think he gives his team members a lot of credit. YMMV.

I've read all his books (I think), and met him twice at book signings. About ten tears ago, I attended a seminar he gave on terrorism. He talked about the threat of radical Islamists, and how not enough people were paying attention to them. Good call, no?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Fox News had him on as a "contributor" during the war.  I liked his books, and I met him as a trainee in the Army.  Seemed like a pretty cool guy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I used to like his books, but he just talks about what a freaking badass his is and it kind of drives me nuts seeing as how he doesnt mention his team members on the same level of his.  So much tooting his own horn it really takes away from some otherwise good stories.

He actually wrote a book titled: "Rogue Warrior:  The Real Team"  ISBN#:0-671-02464-7 in 1999.

Not a bad series of books in total, read the above and it might change your mind on your statement above

...as to mentioning himself more....why not, he's the most interesting character that he knows and that make a good read - thus, a very rich man.

Jeff

edited: (#500 by the way...not bad since Nov. 2001)
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Met SEAL Team Six at NAS Point Mugu.
Not a fun experince.
We were located between "main side" and the reserve center.
I was the duty driver and the POOW.
We had double line watches.
Our standing orders were to report all movement and to challenge everyone.
One of the line watches was "killed" when he challenged a couple of "bad guys".
The blew up one of our hangers.
We watched a car run up and down the flight line with security chasing them.
We got an "atta boy" from them for being on the ball.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
He reinvented himself as Jon Paul Mitchell, hair stylist to the. . . well, women who watch Oprah.

Paul Mitchell

Marcinko

Any man who spends more time on his beard than is strictly necessary will eventually become a dork.

I KNEW something wasn't right about that guy!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Edited to add: One of my buddies actually met him at a book sighting, didnt have much to say about it other than to say he was surprised that he was actually kind of short.

Most SEAL guys are pretty small. A guy 6 foot or over is quite a rarity...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

used to like his books, but he just talks about what a freaking badass his is and it kind of drives me nuts seeing as how he doesnt mention his team members on the same level of his.

He ain't gonna sell books telling you how to fill out government paperwork! And I disagree-I think he gives his team members a lot of credit. YMMV.

I've read all his books (I think), and met him twice at book signings. About ten tears ago, I attended a seminar he gave on terrorism. He talked about the threat of radical Islamists, and how not enough people were paying attention to them. Good call, no?

Yes. But he wasn't alone in making it.

Anyone who spent anytime in the middle east watching what was going on, or who got what should have been the wake up call in Somalia figured out that the radical islamists were our next enemy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Read his books with a huge grain of salt, until I read Papa Bravo Romeo. The PBR guys he worked with didn't have a high opinion of him. He is a damn good self-promoter, but that's about it in my book.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#27]
He's the "real deal".

He was a SEAL.  Any of you guys SEALS?

Then be careful when you criticize someone that was.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#28]
His books are a good read, I enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll buy more of his books if he continues to write them. I'd like to meet him and shake his hand.

So what if he's "full of himself" Some people say I'm "full of Myself" It's called confidence, and it comes from challenging yourself and pushing the your limits to an ever higher level, never accepting the status quo. Give the man some credit, please.

'YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT, YOU JUST HAVE TO DO IT"

words to live by..
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I think if you are the commander of a couple SEAL teams perhaps you've earned the right to be "full of yourself" and conceited all you damn well please....  I saw him on Fox News a couple times too.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think if you are the commander of a couple SEAL teams perhaps you've earned the right to be "full of yourself" and conceited all you damn well please.

Cha-CHING.

Nail. Head. Any questions?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:35:06 AM EDT
[#32]
He was with Jesse when he was sworn in as Govenor, both are big guys and were SEALS, he made it through training, how many can do that? Let alone what else he did.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:53:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
He's the "real deal".

The PBR sailors who supported and fought alongside of him did not like him. That says alot to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He's the "real deal".

The PBR sailors who supported and fought alongside of him did not like him. That says alot to me.

Imagine that. Regular enlisted men being jealous of th elite warriors they take to their missions....go figure!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
He's the "real deal".

Interesting approach. Sure would cut down on posting in GD if everyone had to "walk the walk" to "talk the talk ".
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I believe he is a convicted felon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#38]
He didnt deal with authority too well.  Thats his main problem.  He has earned the right to do as he wishes.  Unless you met the guy and know him its unfair to dismiss him.  People say shit about people all the time, so fucking what.  He has his record to fall back on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He's the "real deal".

Interesting approach. Sure would cut down on posting in GD if everyone had to "walk the walk" to "talk the talk ".

May be the first thing you ever said that I agree with. Lets go for a few more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top