Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/26/2001 9:12:33 AM EST
how much does it cost, where do you apply, how much does it cost for one, how long does it take for application to go through? All questions pertain to non machine gun weapons.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:32:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/26/2001 9:33:16 AM EST by Princeton]
Cost of the license is $10 per year and is good for 3 years ($30) You fill out the form and send it into the ATF. You can find the form to download at:[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/5000.htm#firearms[/url] about 3/4 the way down the page. You want ATF F 5310.16 Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) I got my license in little over a month but things might be going slower now. Its kind of a send it in and wait game.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:01:06 AM EST
mjacvn71, Here is a link to the thread I started on the M16 - Full Auto board about getting my C&R License. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=80785[/url] I downloaded the form from Danbrew's web page. When you get it from his site, it is set up so you can fill it out on your computer. Then just print. [url]www.titleii.com[/url] His site seems to be down right now. Here is the ATF's C&R List of weapons. [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/sec4.htm[/url] It took just under a month for mine. Ed
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:33:49 AM EST
What does a C&R license get you? Some of that stuff on the list is pretty exotic. Many items appear to be machine guns, light and heavy artillery pieces.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:45:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/26/2001 11:49:27 AM EST by Princeton]
What does a C&R license get you? Some of that stuff on the list is pretty exotic. Many items appear to be machine guns, light and heavy artillery pieces.
View Quote
If you can find anything on the list and there aren't any local or state laws prohibiting ownership you can buy it directly. No need to go through a transfering dealer. That includes machine guns and destructive devices. However, for these items you still need to complete the proper paperwork that includes Chief Law Enforcement Signature and pay the appropriate tax. I would think it most unlikely that most of us would have access to more than 50% of whats on the list because of limited availability and excessive collectors prices but there are many bolt action and semi automatic firearms that are included as C&R firearms. Every small arm used in WWI & WWII would be qualified. If you decided to get into collecting WWI or WWII small arms then this would be the way to go. The savings on not paying for FFL transfer fees can add up quickly. If you saw an ad for someone selling that WWII era M1 Garand you just had to have then you could buy it directly from that person or dealer without having to find a local dealer willing to do the transfer for you. For only $30 for 3 years its hard to find any downside to having the C&R FFL.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:14:12 PM EST
Just a little update on Danbrew's site. I still can't get it to come up in Netscape, but it does work with Internet Explorer. Ed
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:32:30 PM EST
Also, send a signed-in-ink copy of your C&R FFL to Brownell's for them to keep on file, get an account from them (free), and you get a 25% discount on most stuff. That $30 comes back REAL fast. Don't know if any other vendors give a discount to C&R holders or not. Oh yea, I tried Cabela's and they don't.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 8:56:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:18:58 AM EST
Top Top