Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 10:16:37 PM EDT
When a ship is in trouble doesnt it send and SOS signal? What the hell does SOS stand for?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Save Our Ship

. . . _ _ _ . . .
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Save Our Ship

Haha, seriously??
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Save Our Souls
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
sos means "get yo mothafucking asses over here to save ours!"

it is not an acronym for anything, just an easy to remember morse code signal.

The solution the conference finally settled upon was the signal SOS, its dot-dot-dot-dash-dash-dash-dot-dot-dot forming a distinctive pattern that even novice wireless operators could easily recognize and transmit. Contrary to persistent belief, the letters SOS were chosen simply due their ease of transmission, not because they represented "save our ship," "save our souls," or any other phrase. As an account of the time noted, "The combination of letters have no especial significance except that they are easy to sound and click out strong and easily read." (In any case, an international conference held in Berlin and featuring representatives of several different European nations was unlikely to have opted for a distress call that abbreviated a phrase significant only to English-speaking mariners.)

so sayeth the snopes
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Shit. OH SHIT.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Save Our Ship

Haha, seriously??

Sucks Our Sinking
Shower On Sub
Show Off Surfboards

Yeah, thats the way I heard it......Save Our Ship  . . . _ _ _ . . .

Hmmm.......I guess my teacher was just making $h!t up
(or these people are)

www.wordorigins.org/wordors.htm
S.O.S.
The international Morse code distress signal, S.O.S., is another "word" with a false acronymic origin. S.O.S. does not stand for Save Our Souls, Save Our Ship, Stop Other Signals, Sure Of Sinking, or any other phrase.

S.O.S. was chosen as the universal distress signal by the International Radio Telegraph Convention of July 1908 because this combination of three dots followed by three dashes followed by three dots (...---...), was easy to send and easily recognized, especially since they were usually sent as a nine-character signal, which stood out against the background of three-character Morse Code letters. The letters themselves are meaningless.

The first recorded mention of the false acronymic origin is in reference to the Titanic sinking of 1912, which may account for its wide spread and endurance.

Prior to 1908, the high seas distress signal consisted of the letters C.Q.D., which many took it to mean Come Quickly, Danger. Actually this term is a combination of the letters C & Q, the standard radio hail meaning essentially "calling all stations" or "is anyone out there?" and the nonsense letter D. Some suppose that the D stands for distress, but this is not documented. Use of C.Q.D. continued past 1908, and the Titanic's initial distress calls used this older signal. It was not until that ship was near sinking did the radiomen send out the new signal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
"SOS" is not an acronym, it doesn't stand for anything it just has a distinctive sound in Morse code.   Very easy to recognize.  There are/were many letter combinations used for particular functions that weren't acronyms, just that it was a distinctive sound in Morse (like "CQ" when requesting contacts).
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Dunno but SOS was served at the chow hall for the morning breakfast.  Shit on a shingle...

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dunno but SOS was served at the chow hall for the morning breakfast.  Shit on a shingle...

i was thinkin the same thing. A piece of toast with some 'gravy' on it
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]

wiki says the save our ship/souls thing came after SOS was already adopted, too.

SOS
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sos

SOS is the commonly used description for the International Morse code distress signal (· · · - - - · · · ) ( listen). This distress signal was first adopted by the German government in radio regulations effective April 1, 1905, and became the worldwide standard when it was included in the second International Radiotelegraphic Convention, which was signed on November 3, 1906, and became effective on July 1, 1908.

From the beginning, the SOS distress signal has actually consisted of a continuous sequence of three-dits/three-dahs/three-dits, all run together. In International Morse Code, three dits form the letter S, and three dahs make the letter O, so "SOS" became an easy way to remember the correct order of the dits and dahs. In modern terminology, SOS is a "procedural signal" or "prosign", and the formal way to show that there are no internal spaces when it is sent is to write it with a bar above the letters, i.e. .)

In popular usage, SOS became associated with phrases such as "Save Our Souls" and "Save Our Ship". However, these phrases were a later development, most likely used to help remember the correct letters — something known as a backronym.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Shit. OH SHIT.

Good one!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i was thinkin the same thing. A piece of toast with some 'gravy' on it

Damn...I loved that shit  I think I'll make some when I get home
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top