Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 3:16:17 PM EDT
Okay---the USMC has the DMR. Many pics out of Afghanistan and Iraq show Army guys with M-14's. I read somewhere recently that each squad in the 82nd Airborne has an M-14. Hell, some of the pics I've seen from the 'stan show M-14's without scopes, just an iron-sighted heavy hitter! You can't say all the applications are "sniper" or "sharpshooter" ones (hence no optics on some). Are we perhaps seeing a reawakening of the M-14? I know it's not going to be an issue rifle to all troops, but one per squad in one of the Army's premier units ain't nothin' to sneeze at.

Well, any "inside scoops"?  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Captain crunch [>(]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The AR10
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, the obvious answer is that they see a need for a longer range weapon.  That would be the M-14 or M1A.

The black rifle is a fine weapon and shouldn't be discarded.  But for desert warfare, long shots are sometimes needed and the .308 can "reach out there" better than the 5.56.

Why not have more than one weapon?  I sure have more than one.  Why shouldn't the military?

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Only after they are totally worn out and only if they cannot be sold to police departments.  The sales to LEO's are pretty brisk actually.  

Captain Crunch hasn't seen and M14 in years and won't see any for a while.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The use of the M-240 MG allows .308 ammo compatability with the M-14. While the desert need is obvious, even in heavy brush or jungle there is a need for a .308 that is more mobile than a GPMG. The AR10 would be a new aquisition (in large numbers) and therefore costly/time consuming. We have a few hundred thousand M-14's in storage, at least for the time being:(  Plus I would probably lean towards the M-14 as tried and proven as opposed to the AR10.    
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Those on the m14 board who claim to know say the specs for a DMR follow the AR-10 route or the AK route, as far as building and maintaining the rifle.

My $0.02, the AR-10 and M-16 showed the way.  308 capable, extremely accurate, robust, cross training, modular design - The AR-10 types lack nothing.

The M14 is too complex a rifle to build today.  Intricate reciever, *wooden* stock with its bedding problems.  The M-14 is on its way out.

Clinton destroyed those 300,000 rifles or gave them away long ago.  We could use them now.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top