Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 6:43:07 PM EDT
A friend on mine has a son who just got talked into going into the Army reserve to be a drill sergeant.  The guy has been out of the Army a year and did a year in Iraq when he was in and doesn't want to go back.  The recruiter told him they don't send drill sergeants to Iraq.

Don't Army reservists go to regular AD boot camp?  If so, then what do reserve drill sergeants do?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They go to active duty Army boot camps to play drill sgt.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
This is just a wild-ass guess, but I'm gonna go with "yell and scream a lot"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
have a lot of fun at the recruit's expense
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They go to active duty Army boot camps to play drill sgt.

Yes, they do. They generally drop in on a pretty good platoon halfway through basic and screw it up.

Happened to me in basic. I was damned glad to have my regular Drill Sergeants return to duty.

(Believe it or not)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
when i went to basic in FT. Benning we had 2 full-time drill instructors and 2 reservist.  the reservist cycled every 2 weeks.  it sucked because every 2 weeks was like day 1 over again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The purpose is to have the capability to rapidly expand basic and AIT in time of need.  As noted, they go to a normal BCT post and play Drill Sgt for a couple weeks a year.  There are also other units within that type of division (i.e. Training Div) that would handle AIT, and other training.

So if there's a need for a Draft, they activate these units and use them to train the new inductees.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Drop your cocks and grab your socks!

This is my rifle
This is my gun.
This is for fighting
This is for fun.

Private Pyle, choke yourself.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info.  I figured they might do their two weeks a year playing drill sgt just wasn't sure if it was at AD boot camps or in some reserve type training program.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
30 years ago as a reseve DI you'd go AD for 1 basic cycle instead of doing weekends+ 2 weeks. Get your whole reseve duty over in 1 shot. I think that system was better than this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top