Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 6:00:59 AM EDT
I got a good deal at the funshow yesterday on a Norinco "Paratrooper" SKS (16" barrel). I'm going to put a Mojo rear peep sight on it, as I don't care for the original notch-type sights. It will NOT have the 100, 200, etc. sliding yardage scale on it. Just an elevation and windage adjustable peep.

I know the AR15 has a 50yd IBSZ where you zero to POA/POI and it gives you a nice flat trajectory of no more than a 2" deviation above or below line of sight to about 220 meters.

That is kind of what I'm looking for with the SKS. Obviously the ballistics are very different between the two calibers and 5.56mm is a much flatter shooting round. However, there has got to be a somewhat reasonable POA/POI zero for the 7.62x39 that would be some semblance of "flat" for most common distances (say out to 200 yards).

This probably requires a ballistics calculator of some sort, which I don't have. Maybe one of you guys does or has a personal favorite zero.

Thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:02:42 AM EDT
[#1]
SKSs are a piece of junk, unless you buy 30 of them for handouts if shtf. Just pick up a few P90s and AR15s.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Here is ballistic specs per gunsandammomag.com

www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/762_39mm_russian.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I set mine on the first click or number 1 sighted in at 6000 meters
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Sight it in 2 inches high at 100 yards for starters, then shoot the rifle at various ranges to see how that works for you and alter the zero if necessary.  

That's what I would do.  In the end, you'll learn more about the rifle than from running a theoretical trajectory in a program, and you still have to do the shooting to refine the zero.

There are several free and online trajectory programs - do a search.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
SKSs are a piece of junk, unless you buy 30 of them for handouts if shtf. Just pick up a few P90s and AR15s.

Uh, thanks for the input

Trust me, I've got the "high speed" category well covered. This is a "truck gun" that I'd like to be able to pick up and hit something center-mass out to about 200 yards without holding under or over.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have you tried google?

www.chuckhawks.com/7-62soviet.htm

The trajectory of the Remington factory load for the 7.62x39 looks like this: +1.5" at 100 yards, 0 at 150 yards, -3.8" at 200 yards, -10.4" at 250 yards.

Given that this round falls like a rock after 150yds.... I'd say a 100yd or 150yd zero is where you want it.

If you want advanced calculations...

www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj_basic/traj_basic.html

FALARAK,
That 1.5" high at 100 yards looks like the ticket. It would be 3.8" low at 200 so a center-mass hold would still work. That is basically what I was looking for.

Much appreciated.

Now the fun part: determining what 1.5" high is given the probable group size of an SKS!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now the fun part: determining what 1.5" high is given the probable group size of an SKS!!!

by the time you shoot enough rounds to have a statistically reliable group from which to extract a center, you have shot so much you have to factor barrel wear into the equation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
While lacking many of the desireable features of more modern military rifles, the SKS is a well made weapon. The Russian and Chinese models are the best with very good parts and chrome lined bores. The parts and manufacturing quality on the these are better than most any AK. A semi auto centerfire rifle with the amount of machine parts of a 1950's SKS would cost $1000 if made today.

IMO, the SKS has become a joke to many shooters based on the bubbafied Tapco rifles out there. A 10 shot .30 caliber semi auto accurate to 200 yards is nothing to scoff at, and a far better weapon than a 12 gauge pump.

While I often have a sleek little AR carbine in the car seat next to me, I always have an SKS in the trunk.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#11]
SKS's are much more accurate than an AK and are probably more accurate or at least as accurate as a Mini-14.

Is yours a detachable mag version? Some call that one a D some call it a Paratrooper model.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I set mine on the first click or number 1 sighted in at 6000 meters

Hit a lot of targets at 6000 meters with your SKS?

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SKS's are much more accurate than an AK

Two SKS's, three AK's.... honestly, I cant tell a damned bit of difference in accuracy.... certainly not enough to to say "much" more accurate.  They all shoot about 4MOA for me... I just attribute that to sights and ammo.

I've read that accuracy varies greatly depending on which countries AK you have. 4" is good accuracy from what I have read for most AK's. Not disputing your actual experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top