Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 3:47:54 PM EDT
OK, I just bought a new laptop, I got a dig camera, and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

What's next?? Software?? Hardware??

Wireless internet? So I can post while taking a bath?? [:D]

I'm not much  of a computer gamer.

What toys do y'all have??

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You could get some of that X10 stuff and turn the computer into a home automation system. Add some of the cameras and a few more moniters and have an "evil command center" for your compound.

Or you could boycott X10 because of their f'n annoying popup ads.

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Wireless networks are great..  Allows freedom of movement and privacy...   DVD burners are pretty nifty too...   Burn your own movies, etc...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
USB 2.0 pc card and an external 80Gb hard drive.  Excellent for back-up or portability to other machines.

Wireless LAN is spiffy, too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
USB 2.0 pc card and an external 80Gb hard drive.  Excellent for back-up or portability to other machines.

Wireless LAN is spiffy, too.
View Quote

[b]Oh Yeah!!   80 gb  external HD is a great choice..
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
18" TFT display.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want to be the big computer guy on the block, you could go with an 802.11a wireless network.  The 802.11b network equipment is cheaper, and all over the place, but it tops out at 11Mbps.  802.11a goes up to (theoretically) 54Mbps.  Downside?  It's still pretty expensive, and there aren't too many PCI versions for desktops (though there seem to be plenty for laptops).

Tuner/capture card is pretty spiffy.

Maybe a huge plasma flatscreen monitor for your laptop?

Smart card reader/writer?

Flash card reader/writer?

Magnetic card reader? (or a reader/writer, but those were expensive last time I looked)

Barcode reader?

DVD-R?

The possibilities are endless...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
What I have? Pretty much the basic stuff... scanner, decent ink-jet printer, Zip drive, CD burner, Linksys router/firewall.

What I'd like to have? 19" flat screen LCD monitor...prices are dropping but still expensive (I think Apple makes an aspect ratio monitor/wide screen one). One of the digital cameras that accepts 35mm SLR lenses. Color laser printer. DVD burner and about 100 blanks at about $9.00 a pop.

All in all even if I had the money I'd probably use it to stockpile ammunition instead.
[:)]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd have liked to get the Apple 22" or 24" LCD but there are two issues:
1. Apple displays use proprietary connectors that combine power, USB and video all in one, imcompatible with a PC's VGA and DVI output, I guess you could get adapers for it.
2. Apple as a company, while innovative, sucks ass.  I won't encourage their attitude with my money.
I got a Dell 20.1" LCD, it's not wide like the Apple 22" or 24" and only does 1600x1200 (good luck finding a video card that supports Apple's wide aspect ratio), but it sure doesn't cost as much.  The pretty Apple translucsent case is of dubious value, I've seen ants crawl up there and die, there's no way to get them out, short of opening the case up. [xx(]
View Quote

Dr. Bott DViator will adapt monitor to PC
Alienware sells the whole setup, got Jediknight 2 to run at 1600 x 1200 with anti-alaising and anisotropic filtering on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
A note on the 80GB external drive. Go with Firewire instead of USB. I think you'll be happier in the end.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top