Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/16/2002 11:14:25 PM EDT
Do you have to be a municipal law enforcement agency to purchase LEO weapons? Are there ways to qualify for an LEO weapon as an auxiliary LEO or as a PAC TAC or city neighborhood secuity organization? How about private security concerns with some sort of CLEO sign off ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:13:57 PM EDT
From the ATF FAQ: (O8) May law enforcement officers purchase and possess semiautomatic assault weapons and high capacity ammunition feeding devices? Yes. The law provides exceptions for law enforcement officers purchasing assault weapons and magazines for official use. However, assault weapons may not be lawfully distributed to, or received or possessed by, an officer having been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. A licensee may lawfully transfer these items to a law enforcement officer and the officer may lawfully receive and possess them if: (1) the officer is a "peace officer" having the authority to arrest persons for violations of the law and to obtain and execute search warrants; (2) the officer is employed by a government agency; and (3) in the case of a semiautomatic assault weapon, the officer has not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 2:58:42 PM EDT
I knew a guy who did all the legal stuff to make his rural property a town. Then he and his wife voted him mayor. I suppose as mayor, he could appoint himself police chief. Then, since that is legally a town, with a mayor and police department, he could get tax-free LEO status... and all that that implies.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 4:11:43 PM EDT
Yes, if you're somehow able to get a legitimate charter from your state government granting local police powers (town charter would be most common, or authorization to run a private prison which can accept prisoners from other institutions within the state, etc), then you're "law enforcement". For individual purchase of LEO-restricted rifles, the purchaser needs to be a police officer as described, and an employee of a government entity. For "department" purchase of LEO weapons or post-sample machineguns, the "department" needs to be legally constituted and authorized by the state or other superceding authority, and purchased at the direction of and for the use of the "department".
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 4:24:02 PM EDT
Mall Ninjas are able to get LEO weapons. I dont see why Neighborhood Ninjas could'nt get them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 4:36:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:36:54 PM EDT
Minor issue. You must comply with the legal training requirements for being certified an LEO in that particular jurisdiction, just declaring a PD doesn't do the trick.
Top Top