Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2007 3:23:27 AM EDT
I bought a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 800 with only 2K miles on it!!!

Guy I work with needed to sell it fast, so I got it for about 40-50% of book price.

I'll ride it for a year or so and if I decide to get a bigger bike will give it to the wife

It is a v-twin, water-cooler, shaft drive. Anyone know any poop on these Suzuki Intruders?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It's an Intruder, I wish it was the Volusia, those look even nicer than the Intruders.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
We have about five of them at work. One guy put a 14* rake on his and really customized it.

They are good reliable bikes. Strangely they seem to have more power than the rest of the bikes in their class (700-800cc V Twins). The styling is kind of dated, but then I never cared for the heavily valanced fender / cruiser look.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are good reliable bikes. Strangely they seem to have more power than the rest of the bikes in their class (700-800cc V Twins). The styling is kind of dated, but then I never cared for the heavily valanced fender / cruiser look.

+1

The Intruders are good bikes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#6]
A guy I work with had one.  A good bike to learn on.  He sold it after 2 years, and got a BMW, along with a Norton.  It was a good bike.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I bought a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 800 with only 2K miles on it!!!

Guy I work with needed to sell it fast, so I got it for about 40-50% of book price.

I'll ride it for a year or so and if I decide to get a bigger bike will give it to the wife

It is a v-twin, water-cooler, shaft drive. Anyone know any poop on these Suzuki Intruders?

I've ridden one and thought it was a pretty good bike. None of the ride was on a long haul freeway setting, but I did lots of backroad riding and sweepers. The whole bike felt pretty balanced and integrated. The motor was a good match to the chassis, the brakes were a good match to the motor, steering was neutral, riding position was decent.

Not my kind of bike but I liked it a lot and could see myself spending a day in the saddle at a time, no problems.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]
A buddy of mine had one, don't lock the forks and forget about it!  I felt bad for him!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#9]
You did fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Be careful on it...Lot of Idiots out there, The worst fatal accidents i ever handled were involving innocent Motorcycle riders. Not to scare you but be careful.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone else have any inside info on Suzuki Intruders?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You did good. The 800 Intruder is the lightest and fastest bike in its class (650-900cc) and will run away from most of the big heavy cruisers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, you did very well.  The intruders have been around for years so there is a ton of aftermarket goodies out there.  Like was said above, the "older" style cruisers had as much snot or more than some of the newer bikes and less weight.  There is alot to be said for this these days with 700 + lb. cruisers out there. Better performance is the result...

Low maintenance shaft drive to boot.

It should get good mileage - keep it as a mile eater as things will only get worse in the middle east....
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
got one. a '97 Intruder bought with 15k on the clock.  put about 5k on it but havent ridden it much for the past two years.  now the front brake seems to stick (not release) and bleeding is only a temp soultion.  the only complaint is the very low seating; cramps my hips/legs on rides over an hour or so.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:09:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
got one. a '97 Intruder bought with 15k on the clock.  put about 5k on it but havent ridden it much for the past two years.  now the front brake seems to stick (not release) and bleeding is only a temp soultion.  the only complaint is the very low seating; cramps my hips/legs on rides over an hour or so.

Yeah, I was wondering about the low seating causing a problem on long trips.

We'll find out, I pick it up next week, can't wait.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I was wondering about the low seating causing a problem on long trips.

We'll find out, I pick it up next week, can't wait.

It isn't so much the seat height, as it is the relationship between the seat and the pegs. My seat height is about knee level but I have plenty of room between the seat and pegs.

Try a set of forward controls if your riding position is cramped. They aren't cheap, but they'll pay for themselves in the long run.

Mapam forward controls
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top