Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 9:26:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 9:26:40 AM EST by Jfor]
http://www.usatoday.com/money/smallbusiness/columnist/strauss/2004-08-23-overtime_x.htm

Rule number 7 may or may not impact me.

Rule 7: Employees whose main duties are computer-related and involve the implementation, analysis, development, or application of computer systems or designs are also not eligible for overtime.

I am a Computer Tech training to be the Network manager. I make around 30k per year. Will this rule affect my overtime? I make aroundIf I am ineligible for overtime, do I HAVE to work more than 40 hours per week?

I just want some opinions from you guys about this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:28:22 AM EST

Dupe

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:41:55 AM EST
If you are not eligible for overtime, you must receive compensatory time off (comp time) at 1.5 times the rate of hours worked beyond 40 a week. Period. "Exempt" employees are only exempt from being paid overtime in cash. The manipulation and studied ignorance of the Fair Labor Standards Act by management is one of the biggest scams going.

I have seen one guy making $250 a week who believed he was not eligible for overtime because his employer put him on salary, and designated him as "manager" - of the firebox at a barbecue restaurant. He worked an average of 50+ hours per week, but his employer assured him he wasn't entitled to OT because he was "management," and because if he ever worked less than 40 hrs in a week he'd still get his $250.

I have seen people who believed that they were lawfully on salary at $X per week, no additional pay for time over 40 hrs, but docked at a specified hourly rate for time under 40 hrs in a week.

You are entitled to either time-and-a-half for OT, or comp time; you must be paid your regular salary while using comp time. The way employers abuse this crap chaps my ass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:47:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:49:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sweep:
Government should have nothing to say about how much a company can or can not pay anyone. Period.

I pay people what their worth, I have some that do deserve less than minimum wage though
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:55:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 9:56:21 AM EST by motown_steve]
I think it applies to me more than you.

I am a consultant for a computer company. When my company sells equiptment or software to another company, I go in to plan and document the installation and configuration, then I install and configure the equiptment and/or software. I routinely work more than 40 hours per week, and I frequently have to work odd hours. My current customer like me to make all of my configuration changes between 4 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Sundays.

I am a salaried employee making around $90,000 per year, plus quarterly bonuses. I don't get overtime.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:03:08 AM EST
Top Top