Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2001 9:45:49 PM EDT
I know it's cool in national forest, and definitely not cool in state parks, but what about national parks?  

I'm going camping at the end of the month near Kings Canyon and would like to have some protection with me, but I'm not looking to shoot or plink, just a fun trip with the wife and dogs.  Anyone know the rules? Thanks. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
No way, No how. Unless you are a LEO, or just passing through and have it in legal transit mode (unloaded and locked up).

P.S. If you are travilling through I wouldnt stop.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh well, guess I'll just bring a big knife. [%(]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#4]
the only natl park that i know that allows guns would be Grand teton park, since they are the only ones that allow hunting

in other words NO guns on natl park land

those places are so touristy that you really dont need one, bring a machete for snakes (just dont tell anyone you killed a critter in the park, they might freak)
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Even though it is illegal to carry in National Parks and Forests, let me point out one incident that has changed my thoughts on this.

Probably almost 5 years ago, two girls were brutally murdered in the Smokey Mountains.  They were deep in the park.  They were so far in that by the time they were found, decompostion was in full swing.  Both were killed inside the tent.

This was my neck of the woods and it was a real shock.  You ain't going to find a police officer or ranger when you need one.  So as the saying goes............

"Better to be judge by twelve than carried by six."

I'll take my chances with a court system but not with some stranger I meet on the trail.

ps
you have to worry about not only the two legged critters but the four legged as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Ratters, where around KC will you be. KC and Sequoia NFs intertwine quite a bit with Sequoia Nat'l Park. I've been there more times than I can count and have frequently taken a .22 of some sort to plink with. Like the others mentioned when you are within Park boundries the gun must be unloaded and locked, OR disabled so to not be readily functional ( bolt removed, barrel removed, etc ). Generally speaking they won't ask about firearms when you enter the park , and don't volunteer the info either. There are signs, and it's also in the literature they hand out that you can't shoot in the NP and hunters are asked to camp outside park boundries. Easy enough to do where you are going.

There have been more than a few times I slept with a handgun under my head even when within park boundries when camped along 198. Fresno ain't that far away if you get my drift :(
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I've spent a lot of time in the Sierra backcountry and never had a problem. But then again, a Glock 29 is never more than a handreach away. Remember, Cary Steiner practiced his craft in an area where folks were specifically prohibited from legally having a firearm; one of which could have shortened his career suddenly. In fact it was Cary that got me back into handgun shooting. My girlfriend and I had a trip planned just south of Yosemite and he had just killed his fourth. No way was I heading out without a gun. (We were in NF) They caught him while we were out, a days hike away... Now just because he was caught, doesn't mean his understudy isn't practicing for the part somewhere else. Outside the campgrounds no one is watching your back and the pressures that keep folks discrete in modern society are not operating. It brings out both the best and the worst in people.

Now as to KC/Sequoia area, I would be very circumspect in the campgrounds. The rangers won't look or ask but you better have a damn good reason if you use it. The bears are very dense in most of the public campgrounds and WILL grab food right out of an open bearbox if you even turn your back. Think 300 pound squirrel. In most bear attack cases the camper is also CITED for doing something wrong, so don't even think about shooting one unless you bring a shovel or plenty of friends for a barbecue...

Most of the campers are very nice but this is Kali so there are weirdos as well and all you have is a tent between you and the world. My advice, be careful, with all that that implies.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Pthfndr- We will be in the Cedar Grove campgrounds. Not too far from the Sierra and Inyo national forests, but I doubt we are going to spend too much time there. I'm not too concerned as we will have two 100lb. dogs sleeping with us in the tent, but you never know what might happen.  I always thought that when camping in your tent, you were able to have a loaded gun as it was treated like your home.  Or was that hotel rooms?  Just wanted to find out what the truth was.  Thanks.

Aside- My buddy did an internship at a hospital emergency room in Fresno for a summer.  He said he had never seen so many beat downs and f-ed up people in his life.  Warning taken.

IDK- Not too worried about the bears.  Just need to be concientious.  The few bears I've seen have always been headed in the other direction or up a tree, all from idiots leaving coolers in their cars or pickup beds.  We will be being careful though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Ratters-From shortly before you start down the mountain into the canyon until just before you cross the river for the second time in the bottom you will be on NF land and out of the park so you should be able find to several areas to shoot/plink if you want. Just remember to check your back ground [:)] A gun in your tent can be a gray area as you are not supposed to have a loaded gun in a NP to begin within. Best thing is to just be very discreet with it and don't go waving it around like some idiots do. Treat it like you would a concealed carry firearm.

Don't forget that while in the NP your dog must be on a leash at all times - IIRC 6' long max. And you cannot take your dog on a trail in the NP. In the NF it's ok to take your dog. I know a great NF trail just outside the boundry from Cedar Grove if you're interested.

Don't take the bears too lightly. They can be a REAL BIG problem in the Cedar Grove area. Especially after a light snow like last winter. Not enough food growing at higher altitudes. Few years ago the Park rangers tried 3 nights in a row to trap a bear that was raiding the campgrounds before they caught it. Had damaged several motorhomes as I recall. Same summer I saw a bear go right into a campsite with about 10 people sitting around a campfire ( which I think is dumb in the middle of summer ) right next to their tables. Darn bear walked right up and climbed on the table and started chowing down on a BIRTHDAY CAKE of all things. Once it got tired of all the screaming and yelling it walked off - carrying a ice chest with it.

Then there are possums, chipmunks, raccoons, squirrels and skunks which dogs love to chase (at least mine do) and all of them are known carriers of rabies in the Sequoia/KCNF area.

Have a great time while your there. It is my most favorite place on earth bar none.

p.s. Take plenty of bug spray. The gnats there can be overwhelming at this time of year.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Pthfndr- Thanks for all the info.  I have not been to this park so I would appreciate any info you have, esp. on trails that allow dogs.  Between us and the people we are meeting we are going to have seven dogs, so keeping them occupied and tired would be good.

Damn, a bear walking into an occupied campsite.  I woulda pooped my pants.  Of the three I've seen in Yosemite, two went the other way when people woke up and one went up a tree.
Yikes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
First, I assume you have reservations or are going before the weekend starts. CG fills up real fast. My favorite campground there ( when I stay in a campground ) Is Sheep Creek, space 27. A good hike in the NF is up Deer Cove trail. Just a bit past Grizzly Falls ( a good place to pic nic ) but before you re-enter the NP at Cedar Grove. Both the trail and falls are on your left as you head toward CG. It's fairly steep for the first 1-2 miles and there may be no water for about 4 miles. Depends on how dry it is. The trail crosses a couple small streams. Check with the rangers at the CG station. They'd be able to tell you. Either way plan on carrying plenty of water as it will be very hot on the trail. But once you reach the top you can down into the canyon, Lookout peak across the way ( some cool places to camp there but no "official" camp sites [:D], and on a good day you can see all the way to the San Joaquin Valley. It is ok to take your dog for a walk on the road of course, which is relatively levelfrom the campgrounds to roads end. From the campgrounds you can walk to the roads end. The road crosses the river several times and Roaring Falls is a don't miss spot along the way. Check with the rangers about taking your dogs on the unguided nature trail, which is really a dirt road that runs almost from roads end, along the river, and comes out behind the stables just across the river from the campgrounds.

Another good place to hike and take the dogs is the Jennie Lake area. You have to go all the way back up to the top, take 180 where it forks ( you'll see it when you go there ) and go south. Look for the signs that say Buck Meadows  / Jennie Lake. There are actually two lakes, small, and the are only a couple miles in on a easy to moderate trail. Lots of people back pack with their dogs there. Makes for a good day trip.

Feel free to e-mail me direct with any questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top