Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 9:10:43 AM EDT
I keep hearing how in toidays world the husband and wife MUST work in todays world just to survive.

So I ask you..what is it that you need to survive and operate in todays world?

A new house?  A couple of nice cars?

Dining out on a regular basis?  Internet and a few televisions?

And are you willing to put all these needs of yours above the needs of your children?

How come?

Sgat1r5

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#1]
a home in a neighborhood where you don't have to worry about your kids playing outside.

a car that you aren't afraid is going to die on your wife in a bad part of town.

These things are seriously becoming harder to ascertain.  Let me give you an example, my wife and I have two sets of friends:

1.  Husband is a general contractor, steady but inconsistent work.  Wife stays at home and homeschools the children.  They are bright, well-behaved children, but the parents literally worry from time to time about being able to put food on the table.

2.  Wife and husband are workaholics, so there are long stints where the parent's don't see a whole lot of the kids during the week and some weekends.  They get many big vacations to places all of the nation to make up for missing the everyday things.  They live in an immaculate environment with everything they need, the security of having nice clothes, full bellies, and so on.  But the kids can be very bratty at times.

So, which is the lesser of the two evils?  How do you can decide?  Can it even be decided?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I will never be happy until I rule it all, ALL OF IT!!
(insert evil laughter)
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]
A  good knife  is all  I NEED to  be comfortable .

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
(insert evil laughter)

Can I be your evil henchman?  I have LOTS of good ideas on who needs killin', and how.  Please??
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(insert evil laughter)

Can I be your evil henchman?  I have LOTS of good ideas on who needs killin', and how.  Please??

Ooh!  Ooh!  I want to be a lacky!  Please?!  I'll stand by your side and say "tell 'em, boss" as you unfold your maniacal plan.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I keep hearing how in toidays world the husband and wife MUST work in todays world just to survive.

And are you willing to put all these needs of yours above the needs of your children?

How come?

Sgat1r5

I can't believe I am about to say this.

I agree with sgtr15  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
If I lost everything tomorrow, but still had my wife and child I'd be OK.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
My parents baught their first home at the age of 38.  Their first new car at 60.  This was on an airman salary and 10 kids.  My mother stayed at home.

But in todays world I am told one needs their wife to work so they can afford a house and a new car before they even hit 30.  

Uh huh...

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#9]
For us, it's double incomes, and no (long since grown up) kids .  

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My parents baught their first home at the age of 38.  Their first new car at 60.  This was on an airman salary and 10 kids.  My mother stayed at home.

But in todays world I am told one needs their wife to work so they can afford a house and a new car before they even hit 30.  

Uh huh...

Sgat1r5

It's a tricky question because it has "need" and "comfortable" in it.  We don't really need to be comfortable at all, never mind what we need to be comfortable...we should be able to make do with a little inconvenience or discomfort.
As long as people feel they *need* to be comfortable they will "need" all sorts of ridiculous things.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]
hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Figure this one out SGTar....

Me and my wife both work. Full time jobs, not some rinky dink part time stuff.

Our kids are not in daycare, except on RARE occasions when one of us must travel or otherwise has an "abnormal" schedule beyond what we normally have.

Now, if we can both work full time jobs and not put our kids in daycare, why cant other people?

Yes, I make sacrafices. Yes, she makes sacrafices. But its the best option we feel. The kids are raised by US, not the babysitter/school. The kids spend time with US. And we have al the luxuries and amenities afforded a dual income family.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]
All of my stuff and the desire and means to get the stuff I don't have yet.

Otherwise what the hell is the point? We coulda stayed in caves.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm stayin in your cave, cause you have ALL the cool rocks!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#15]

All of my 'needs' are in place, I 'need' for not. Time, I would like more time, for it is gone in the blink of the eye.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#16]
At this point in time my wife and I both work.

It has been a real adjustment, since for most of our children's lives my wife stayed at home.  

Since I closed the jewelry store, because of lack of business, we have had to begin paying off the debt ($40,000), we bought a house (buy a house was at least as cheap as renting).  To be able to pay the bills we both have to be working.  The job I am able to get right now only pays for our house payment and our debt payments, meanig that if my wife does not work, we cannot pay for our children to eat . . .

As a family we could get by on just my income, once we get past the debt.  It will mean no cable, no internet, no buying books, movies, etc, no vacations until I get a promotion.  Once we can do this, we will.  We want one more child, maybe two and we firmly believe that my wife should be at home for the kids.  

It gets better . . . she may be going to Kuwait next year, if she does go she will have to change MOS to Flight Ops (15P) which would mean more time away from the house (2-3 months).

In addition, we had been plannig on trying to have that next child . . . next year, which is wehn she would be leaving.  

There is always a reason to put it off . . . but this is not a little reason to wait, it is a Big Reason.  She has trained for almost half of her life to be able to go and serve I would not wish to make her chose between duty to country and duty to family, for her service to her country is also service to her family.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
The question isnt what do you NEED to survive.

A better question is what are you willing to sacrafice to have the things you WANT.

All too many are willing to sacrafice time with the children to have a better car or bigger TV.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I've found out with age that I need very little to be happy. Most are wants that go into the pile of other useless shit after a week.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#19]
To answer the question....What I need (want)....

My books.
My guns.
My PC.
A bowl and spoon/fork/knife (yes, i had 1 bowl, a spoon, a fork and a knive in college)

Thats about it. In fact, thats about all I have. Everything else is the wifes/kids.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm stayin in your cave, cause you have ALL the cool rocks!

That he does.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#21]
900 square feet on >2 acres, and a woman I love to share it with.

The rest is just fluff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#22]
No, my kid has it made.  Wife is a crossguard at his school, and does all the PTA crap
so she's right there all the time.

I work, and he gets all the toys.  I do make him mow grass on the weekends, poor kid.......

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How come?

Sgat1r5

I can't believe I am about to say this.

I agree with sgtr15  

Same here. All I'd need is a nice, cheap apartment with DSL and a nice 1984 Mercedes 300SD w/ lo miles. I'd be happy as a clam.

Oh, and a nice little gun collection...maybe a glock or two with an AK, SKS, and m1 or two..

Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#24]
nice house, newish vehicle, big screen tv, 'puter, refridgerator, AR15's, lots of ammo, money in the bank, a digital camera, and a cell phone.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#25]
keep it simple,just like that.....High achievers sacrifice far more than they will enjoy
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll let you know someday
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I told my wife I wanted a nice modular home (1500-1800 sq ft) on 20+ acres and an old pick up truck and forget society. I got that look from her. I must be going through that Green Acres faze.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I told my wife I wanted a nice modular home (1500-1800 sq ft) on 20+ acres and an old pick up truck and forget society. I got that look from her. I must be going through that Green Acres faze.

Arent you the guy with a toilet in the fridge or couch in the bathtub or some weird shit like that?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arent you the guy with a toilet in the fridge or couch in the bathtub or some weird shit like that?

Say what Willis?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#30]
A warm summer night, a whiskey in my hand, and a catfish line in the creek.

Heaven

GM
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Cool,sounds like Heaven on Earth to me I hope your Mrs. warms up to it
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#32]
it really seems that way anymore, my mom was always home too and we always had food and a good place to live, it seems our tastes are becoming more expensive which i attribute to t.v. it seems as though everyone up here has two new vehicles, a boat and an rv in the driveway of their 350000 dollar house, i paid 136000 for mine and it was recently appraised at 225000 and i haven't done anything to it but live in it. i've never been really material oriented but there are things that make life easier but i have nothing that i couldn't walk away from. i have a cabin up by mt mckinley and have sometimes thought about living there but reconsidered after watching brew paul (my neighbor who lives there year round on an airforce pension) it is a real job when you have to haul water and fuel on a snow machine or four wheeler, by the way brew paul got that name as he used to make his own beer which requires lots of water, he figured out it's cheaper and easier to buy old milwaulkie ice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The question isnt what do you NEED to survive.

A better question is what are you willing to sacrafice to have the things you WANT.

All too many are willing to sacrafice time with the children to have a better car or bigger TV.

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what Willis?

I thought you were the guy with some bigass fridge in your bathroom or some such nonsense. Guess not.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#35]
A decent place to live and call my own, it does not have to cost six figures, but it must be decent and comfertable, which is what I have now, so no complaints tehre.

A reliable and fairly new vehicle, yes that is important to me, I made myself a promise after growing up driving junkers, as long as I can afford it, I will have a new car or truck.

Eating out, dont care about that.

Clothes, dont really care about that, jeans and T shirts are fine by me. Winter time, I need a good warm coat or Jackett, and some wartmer shirts, all is fine.

Money, well I cant really have to much of that stuff....

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what Willis?

I thought you were the guy with some bigass fridge in your bathroom or some such nonsense. Guess not.

I have a couch and a tv, I think you are talking about Helio and his 10k sq ft bathroom.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#37]
My son is 7 months old and we are making many sacrifices to keep my wife home with him. This is very difficult, especially with the prices of things here in NY. We will do it for as long as possible.
Im sure there are some that aren't as lucky as us to do this and that is fine. We all have to do what we have to do.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

All of my 'needs' are in place, I 'need' for not. Time, I would like more time, for it is gone in the blink of the eye.

Well put... +1.

I am the same way... I'm stockpiling comfort items (books, etc.) for when I can't afford them (be it from purchasing a new house and having to go on short term belt-tightening or worse, like SHTF).
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#39]
My wife doesn't need to work, I make plenty of money, besides she's busy raising our children at the moment. We would never consider daycare, ever. Once the kids are raised she might go back to work (school teacher) but that would be because she wants to rather than we need her to.

My salary gives us all we want, a large 5 bedroom home, 3 car garage, 2 relatively new cars, and plenty of other stuff I don't need.

Need? - what the hell is that? All I really need is a good rifle, a good knife and a good woman and I can get whatever else I need.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My wife doesn't need to work, I make plenty of money, besides she's busy raising our children at the moment. We would never consider daycare, ever. Once the kids are raised she might go back to work (school teacher) but that would be because she wants to rather than we need her to.

My salary gives us all we want, a large 5 bedroom home, 3 car garage, 2 relatively new cars, and plenty of other stuff I don't need.

Need? - what the hell is that? All I really need is a good rifle, a good knife and a good woman and I can get whatever else I need.

Unless your getting those needs from someone else with a good rifle and a good knife.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what Willis?

I have a couch and a tv, I think you are talking about Helio and his 10k sq ft bathroom.

Yep, thats the guy with the toilet in the fridge and couch in the bathtub.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#42]
The bank still owns %18 of my house, I NEED that %18!!!
When I own the roof over my families heads,
I will finally sleep well at night, and then,
perhaps, know comfort.

The items I need/have (in an effort) to be comfortable:
Enough ammo to go shooting three or four times a month.
Television.
A new computer every two to four years.

L
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Oh yeah, I need my toidy paper too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, I need my toidy paper too.

ohh yeah, the good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#45]
To be comfortable... cars in good condition and excellent operation condition, clean and well kept clothes, a few firearms and ammunition, healthy food and a nice computer with speedy net connection is all I really need to be comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#46]
tiggity tag

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Beans, bullets, bandaids, freedom. Freedom

Wait, capitol F...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top