Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2005 3:21:35 PM EDT
I've got verizon wireless and it's time to upgrade the old LG cell phone as the battery is almost dead & the phone is over 2 years old & starting to have issues working right.

What's a good verizon upgraded phone with a loud ringer??????
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want a camera phone and all that crap?  If not, then I recommend the one I have.  Com8600.  Small, good battery, stores a lot of crap, color and all that shit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Samsung A670H, its been pretty good as far as I'm concerned
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate my 6600. Do not buy one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
... After 20 years of having the same old phone and phone number, my company decided to fit me with a mobile. Verizon Samsung to be exact. Not particularly fond of the idea because now I have to carry around two

... Don't know why they couldn't just have left my hard-line alone
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got the Motorola E815. It's worked great so far. The pictures come out very clear. It's larger than my previous LG phone, but that's because of the larger screen, which is what I wanted.

ETA; This phone is listed for $199.99. But after rebates, I only paid $50.00.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a camera or any crap.

I have a small, simple phone that does mainly what I need.  A Kyocera KX414.  

Looks like mine but has a zebra print cover.

Drawback-had a problem with the battery that turned out to be a recall.

Has "Get it now" which I've used only once to d-load a ringtone.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want the best, then the Samsung i730 fits the bill. I love mine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, will be checking out all the phones mentioned!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag.

I'm in the same boat as Shrike9.

I don't need bells & whistles... just a quality phone with the best reception possible.

What should I get???  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Trust my recommendations guys.  

I would get the motorola E815  or the LG 8100.  Both have lots of bells and whisles, more than most people need, but they are damn good phones.  They both have speakerphone, MP3 players, megapixel cameras with video (awesome for taking quick vids of you at the range), big screens, very ergonomic designs and intuitive interfaces.  I would give a slight edge to the LG right now since the price of the Motorola just went up to $199 (both have $50 mail in rebates) and the LG is $149.... so if you're upgrading with the new every two credit  (up to $100 off instantly) then the LG ends up free after the rebate.  

There are simpler phones out there, but why not get something cool if it isn't going to cost you anything but tax?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]

www.phonescoop.com/carriers/carrier.php?c=2

Quoted:
I just got the Motorola E815. It's worked great so far.  

Same here.

I got mine free for the 2-year upgrade.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
How did ya mannage to get the LG 8100 for free, according to verizions web site after the $50.00 rebate ya owe $99.99 and if I was to get the E815 it would cost $149.99 after the rebate.

Could not find anything about how you qualify for the the new every two $100 credit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don't need bells & whistles... just a quality phone with the best reception possible.

What should I get???  

Exactly what I want as I've got no need for all the bells and whistles, just a extremly dependable phone with a loud ringer and able to hit weak towers with a single bar
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How did ya mannage to get the LG 8100 for free, according to verizions web site after the $50.00 rebate ya owe $99.99 and if I was to get the E815 it would cost $149.99 after the rebate.

Could not find anything about how you qualify for the the new every two $100 credit.

If you did a 2yr contract prior and were on a $35 or higher rate plan, you should qualify for it.  If you are on a family plan, only the primary line would qualify.  The discount is taken off at the point of sale, there is no coupon or anything.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

When you renew your 2-yr contract for another 2-yr contract, you get a $100 credit for a new phone.  When I took advantage of this, the E815 was $99.99 after online discount.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I know what you guys mean when you don't need all the bells and whistles, but if you exclude cameras and such you really shoot yourself in the foot; most phones have cameras now, and the best phones have all the newest technology.  If you had to pay more for that foo foo stuff I would understand, but it's FREE after you send in the rebate!  Now get out there and take some pics of you shooting and post them here!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I would pay extra to NOT get a camera on a good phone.  Can't have picture phone at work.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Otay, couple more questions me thinks

Do I find a local Verizon dealer that has a new in box phone they can program right then and there for me, or is it best to do the on line ordering thing.

How do you go about  transfering the phone book from the old phone to the new one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My 2 year plan expired a couple of months ago. I just got a mailing with the $99.00 rebate and $50.00 rebate if I buy a LG 8100 and renew for 2 more years. It also includes a $30.00 rebate on a bluetooth headset.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you did a 2yr contract prior and were on a $35 or higher rate plan, you should qualify for it.  If you are on a family plan, only the primary line would qualify.  The discount is taken off at the point of sale, there is no coupon or anything.

Hummmm, we did have a 2 year contract along with being on the family plan, and my # is the primary line so I'm ASSuming I qualify
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Otay, couple more questions me thinks

Do I find a local Verizon dealer that has a new in box phone they can program right then and there for me, or is it best to do the on line ordering thing.

How do you go about  transfering the phone book from the old phone to the new one.

Go to a local Verizon store or Circuit City...  they can set everything up there, and transfer your phonebook as well (in most cases, not all).  Online has the same prices, you have to wait for shipping and if the order gets messed up at all, you'll have to mail it back to be fixed.  Store is definately the best way to go... plus they have a vested interest in you being happy, so if you run into an issue later, you can say 'hey, you sold me this, fix it!'
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 2 year plan expired a couple of months ago. I just got a mailing with the $99.00 rebate and $50.00 rebate if I buy a LG 8100 and renew for 2 more years. It also includes a $30.00 rebate on a bluetooth headset.

Do the bluetooth, it's outstanding.  I would recommend the motorola HS850, it's the best I've played with so far.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hummmm, we did have a 2 year contract along with being on the family plan, and my # is the primary line so I'm ASSuming I qualify

You should, just clarify that when you go in.  They'll tell you right off.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would pay extra to NOT get a camera on a good phone.  Can't have picture phone at work.

If you want a good non-camera phone,  you might look at the LG 4700, which has a really good speakerphone.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Do the bluetooth, it's outstanding.  I would recommend the motorola HS850, it's the best I've played with so far.

What's bluetooth?????????
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Checking out Verizons web now, lots of different phones, but they don't really get to much into detail about them & the features.

Guess this is where I need to find a local store & see the phones 1st hand.

What's the real difference between the Motorola E815 and the LGVX8100 other than $50.00 and a longer battery life.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Short range communication between devices;  in short it gives you the ability to wear a wireless headset, among other things.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 on e815. I have an lg 4500 and am planning on upgrading to it soon.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Checking out Verizons web now, lots of different phones, but they don't really get to much into detail about them & the features.

Guess this is where I need to find a local store & see the phones 1st hand.

What's the real difference between the Motorola E815 and the LGVX8100 other than $50.00 and a longer battery life.

The LG has a slightly better screen, has controls on the exterior (handy for the MP3 player) and it's camera is a bit better than the Motorola's, IMHO.   It also uses mini SD memory cards, which are more popular and cheaper than the transflash cards that the E815 uses.  But the memory cards and external buttons are only really of use if you use the MP3 player.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
+1 on e815. I have an lg 4500 and am planning on upgrading to it soon.

At least give the 8100 a look when you go to upgrade, it really is a great phone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

At least give the 8100 a look when you go to upgrade, it really is a great phone.

That phone is not offered by Verzion on thier web site.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't have a mp3 player

Memory card might be useful for short movies and pictures, but not having a camera phone I really don/t know.

Heck, we just went from dial up to cable Internet a couple months ago. I'm not exactly computer savvy, let alone up to date on all the other electronic gizmos.

Doubt seriously I'd ever come up with a reason to use bluetooth, but a hands free microphone for the cell phone might be cool so I could use the phone when ridding the motorcycle or shooting
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That phone is not offered by Verzion on thier web site.

Yes it is.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Don't have a mp3 player

You don't need one, the phone is one.  You know those $300 iPod thingys?  This phone will do the same thing only without the absurd amount of memory.

Memory card might be useful for short movies and pictures, but not having a camera phone I really don/t know.

Heck, we just went from dial up to cable Internet a couple months ago. I'm not exactly computer savvy, let alone up to date on all the other electronic gizmos.

This is probably more than you need right now, but if using MP3's was hard it wouldn't have taken off like it has.  You just download the music you want, or convert your CDs, drag and drop them to the mem card and there you go.

Doubt seriously I'd ever come up with a reason to use bluetooth, but a hands free microphone for the cell phone might be cool so I could use the phone when ridding the motorcycle or shooting

Bluetooth is revolutionary; it's one of those things you laugh at people for using... til you try it.  Then you figure out how nifty the little things are, and why the hell didn't you buy one sooner.  Go to the store and demo your sales reps... they're really great little things, especially if you work with your hands or if you're on the phone a lot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yes it is.  Trust me.

Duh, it's the LG VX8100, call me stupid
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bluetooth is a 2.4 gHz radio set in the phone that enables the user to communicate with a wireless headset, or a module in your car or your computer. No cabling, no wires; headset hangs off your ear and makes you look like a Borg, but it's wicked convenient.

There's some really, really good advice you are being given on this thread about the LG VX8100 and the Moto E815. I'd prefer the LG product because they're almost never programmed incorrectly, although the Moto V710/E815 are probably one of Moto's most-trouble-free phones.

I work for a national competitor to Verizon, but have great respect for their products and services. I would encourage you, however, to review your usage and consider Sprint Nextel. Your needs may have changed, and you may be VERY surprised at the capabilities the phones they sell have.

IM or email me if you want some more professional guidance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I work for a national competitor to Verizon, but have great respect for their products and services. I would encourage you, however, to review your usage and consider Sprint Nextel. Your needs may have changed, and you may be VERY surprised at the capabilities the phones they sell have.

Nextel is not offered here at all. From what I was told Sprint tried it at one point, but they went out of business as the coverage was almost zero till ya got down to the Ft Collins area.

That's what ya get for living out in the boonies

We also had sprint phone services, but due to spring being anti gun & more expensive we switched (don't remember to who, but we call Canada quite a bit & that's where the $$$ came into play)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bluetooth is a 2.4 gHz radio set in the phone that enables the user to communicate with a wireless headset, or a module in your car or your computer. No cabling, no wires; headset hangs off your ear and makes you look like a Borg, but it's wicked convenient.

There's some really, really good advice you are being given on this thread about the LG VX8100 and the Moto E815. I'd prefer the LG product because they're almost never programmed incorrectly, although the Moto V710/E815 are probably one of Moto's most-trouble-free phones.

The Horror!  The Horror!

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Horror!  The Horror!

Uh oh!

Really, look at the I-DEN phone capabilities - the Blackberry 7520 has Bluetooth, speakerphone, is GPS enabled for TURN BY TURN DRIVING DIRECTIONS, and has POP configurable email!

It's only $199! If I wasn't getting a free handset from my employer, I'd snap up that deal and shitcan my Dell PDA.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#40]
What nobody goes for the plain jane Motorola V60s anymore?

No camera, no color, batteries last for at least 3+ days if you don't live on it. Speakerphone, voice activated dial.

No frills, just a damn phone. Lord I hate all the gadgets they keep loading up on these things today. My company and most I may walk into these days ban Camera phones. Not doing you much good if the thing is left at the guard desk now is it? And some companies, like mine really do enforce the no camera thing, they'll actually ask to see the phone if you claim not to have one. Don't want to show them, leave it at the desk? Well, no entry for you!

Battery life, weight, ease of use and reception quality matters to me. I've got cameras, MP3 players, PDAs if I want one, I'll use it.

Freakin' phones these days are worse than some AR15s I see, loaded up with trinkets and add-ons I'd swear half the population is Mall Ninja's these days.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

When I was looking for an upgrade to my old LG phone, I went to a Verizon store and checked out all the phones. I decided on the E815. When I told the salesman I wanted the phone, he told me it would be $50.00 cheaper online. He said you could not offer the $50.00 instant rebate that is available online, in the store. So, I ordered it online:

$199.99 Price of phone
                -$100.00 Minus the two new(whatever they call it)
                -$50.00 Minus Instant rebate

= $50.00 out of pocket.

I got my phone by FedEx in two days.

I
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was looking for an upgrade to my old LG phone, I went to a Verizon store and checked out all the phones. I decided on the E815. When I told the salesman I wanted the phone, he told me it would be $50.00 cheaper online. He said you could not offer the $50.00 instant rebate that is available online, in the store. So, I ordered it online:

$199.99 Price of phone

= $50.00 out of pocket.

I

The guys in the stores do not need to give you an extra $50 off because the LG vx8100 is $149.99, not $199.  Thus, you get the New every two discount of $100, plus a $50 mail in rebate, and the phone ends up being free.  Order online if you want, you're just waiting for nothing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Get the cheapest phone you can with the least amount of features.

All those features require faster CPUs which eats more battery power.  

Plus, when you upgrade again you won't have a bunch of data on your phone to worry about moving.  

And you won't feel bad if you lose or break a cheap phone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
What nobody goes for the plain jane Motorola V60s anymore?

No camera, no color, batteries last for at least 3+ days if you don't live on it. Speakerphone, voice activated dial.

No frills, just a damn phone. Lord I hate all the gadgets they keep loading up on these things today. My company and most I may walk into these days ban Camera phones. Not doing you much good if the thing is left at the guard desk now is it? And some companies, like mine really do enforce the no camera thing, they'll actually ask to see the phone if you claim not to have one. Don't want to show them, leave it at the desk? Well, no entry for you!

Battery life, weight, ease of use and reception quality matters to me. I've got cameras, MP3 players, PDAs if I want one, I'll use it.

Freakin' phones these days are worse than some AR15s I see, loaded up with trinkets and add-ons I'd swear half the population is Mall Ninja's these days.

There was nothing wrong with the v60.  Exept it's interface sucked.  Oh, and it had no external caller  ID.  And the display blew, especially in bright daylight.

The v60's weren't bad, but they've improved on them and phones like the motorola E815 are the culmination of these improvements.  As far as not being able to have a camera phone in the workplace, well that's true I guess for a small percentage of the population; there will always be cell's without cameras to help those people out.  But the latest equipment coming out is all market driven;  people WANT cameraphones, and better ones, with more capabilities. And eventually, I'm not kidding with this either, your cell will be a smart device that contains your phone, PDA, still camera with at least 6-10 megapixels, camcorder with hours of video record capabiliy, MP3 and media player, bluetooth and high speed internet access. And I'm sure there will be some other stuff in there as well... Artificial Intelligence might be useful, such as a phone that remembers things that you routinely do and reminds you if you forgot about something.  

And the best part of it is these devices are all subsidized by the cell provider to get you to sign up with them; this one superdevice, that will replace a few thousand dollars worth of other equipment, will probably run you only a few hundred bucks.  If that.  All the crap they were promising you in the 50's is finally coming true!  Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#45]
go to one of those Pakicracki phone stores. They will give u much better deals when signing a new contract or upgrade
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
go to one of those Pakicracki phone stores. They will give u much better deals when signing a new contract or upgrade

Not really. Go to Best Buy (I hate BB, but you'll pay less for a phone there than anywhere else), then you can finger-fuck the merchandise without some commissioned sales nerd hovering over your head.

Now, you generally won't get any help, either. Just go in prepared with all your little internet research, and you should be good to go.

If you want info and tips about any of this stuff, IM me. I'm a Indirect Account Executive with one of the top three wireless companies in the U.S., I know our stuff and our competitor's stuff pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$199.99 Price of phone

= $50.00 out of pocket.

I

The guys in the stores do not need to give you an extra $50 off because the LG vx8100 is $149.99, not $199.  Thus, you get the New every two discount of $100, plus a $50 mail in rebate, and the phone ends up being free.  Order online if you want, you're just waiting for nothing.

I was referring to the MOTOROLA E815, not the LG VX8100. As I said, the phone I got was the E815 and it was $199.99 minus the $100.00 and minus the $50.00 INSTANT rebate. It was not a mail in rebate. I was willing to wait TWO days to get my phone to save $50.00.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Had a motorola v60i for my first 2 years w/ verizon, no real problems. Switched out for an LG w/ a camera etc last november and the battery on it has already gone south. I probably won't get another LG. My next phone will be the smallest robust one I can get, features be damned. Although I do like blue backighting
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I just picked up 2 V710's two weeks ago and I am really happy with them.  The ability to check and send e-mail from the phone is very handy.  I don't really need a camera but it is really hard to get a good phone without one.  I had two LG VX3100's and one worked fine and the other was a total POS that's why I got rid of them the very first day I could.  FYI Verizon will let you renew 60 days early.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I just picked up 2 V710's two weeks ago and I am really happy with them.  The ability to check and send e-mail from the phone is very handy.  I don't really need a camera but it is really hard to get a good phone without one.  I had two LG VX3100's and one worked fine and the other was a total POS that's why I got rid of them the very first day I could.  FYI Verizon will let you renew 60 days early.

Only if you were on a two-year contract, VZW will pay for your upgrade the sum of $150 (usually redeemed at the register, but could be a mail-in rebate, depending on who is selling you the phone) if you sign another two year agreement. This can happen as early as two months prior to the contract period ending, so 22 months into a 24 month contract.

ETA: I had misread the original statement and have corrected my info.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top