Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/18/2016 1:01:06 PM EDT
They seem like shady places to me because they are usually in the 'not so nice' part of town.  I look at two things to decide if I am indeed in said 'not so nice' areas A) is there a pawn shop.  and B) are any of the nearby streets named Martin Luther King Blvd or Rosa Parks Street or some variation. and C) are there any of those payday advance loan places .  This seems to hold pretty true.  Why are they in these areas you may ask.... because It's close to home for lowlife FSA garbage making it convenient to drop off all the shit they stole that day.  I'd venture to guess that 70% of the stuff in these places is stolen.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Every pawn shop I have ever been in has been exactly like the OP describes. I'm surprised to see people having different experiences honestly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Overpriced and shady as shit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
There's one right between where I work and live that does transfers fo $10..  The people there are nice and I have done nearly 40 in the last 2 years,  so I guess I like them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Great place to buy a gun you may have to be returning in a week or two.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys go to the wrong pawn shops. I love my local pawn shops, West German Sig P226 $392 out door with three original zipper back mags. Henry GB .22 mint 16years old $250 out door. Owner is very good to deal with and a true gun lover 1911 on his hip. Just people on hard times around the steel mills and pipe line jobs going in and out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Overpriced and shady as shit.
View Quote

My experience has been exactly the opposite.  Now, I will admit some can be shady, but that exists with just about any business.

I would be willing to guess that 65-75% of my gun purchases have come from pawn shops, and better than 75% of my tools have come from them...I've literally bought just about anything you can imagine from pawn shops, guns, tools, cameras, Kitchen Aid mixers, trail cameras, boats, etc...  Once you get to know the guys working there, you can get some amazing deals.  Some will even let me go through their pull lists before they pull stuff, just to see if I want any of the stuff before it hits the shelves.

Probably the best gun deal I've ever gotten was at a pawn shop, got a mint pre-ban Polytech milled AK for $165....and that was around '04 or so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't been in one you 15 years. They all suck in my area.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazing investment opportunities for the owners, with 65% margins on jewelry and other pawn items like electronics and tools.

Pawn shops are the poor man's bank, who spends his life in and out of jail, working for paychecks without a bank account.

He comes to the pawn shop to cash his check on a regular basis when he is out of incarceration.

His girlfriends also come there for quick cash on their jewelry, which they often sell or pawn, and when pawned, will make regular payments on due to emotional attachment, or just sell at a major loss.

A well-run, clean pawn shop can be a very rewarding business.

Most are not well-run or clean, but still make a lot of money for the owners.

One thing I found interesting is that certain States in the South didn't have gun shops, but had pawn and gun shops.  You literally couldn't find a stand alone gun store for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I love them, they are like safe threads, but once in a while they actually deliver.  I was last at one just over a month or so.  Picked up a Ryobi gas leaf blower to blow leaves off my pontoon when it's in the water for the summer.  Took it out the parking lot and it ran fine.  Tagged $50.  Paid $40.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You used to be able to find some amazing deals before the internet really took off and allowed them to instantly find out market values.

My Dad picked up a $2,500 guitar amp back in the 90's at a pawn shop for $450.

There are still deals to be had though if you know where to look.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've gotten great deals on tools and some pretty good deals on firearms at my local pawn shops.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Pawn shops are awesome. Yes, they are overpriced...on the tag. If you are paying advertised price, you deserve to be taken. 40% off advertised price is more like it, sometimes more.

Some of the deals I have gotten in just last few months;

Photon XT 6.5x night vision scope, $300.00 out the door

Remington 870 Special Purpose Turkey $225.00 out the door

Thompson Center Omega Thumbhole $115.00 out the door

Echo GT225i trimmer $75 out the door

And my best deal, a Ruger MkIII 22/45 with TacSol Paclite upper, OEM 5.5" upper, Burris FFII, 9 mags, and 5.11 Rush pack $425.00 out the door
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Totally depends on where the pawn shop is, and their specific business practices.  I actually knew a pawn shop (no longer open) where they wouldn't even lend on car stereos at all because they knew the item was going to be stolen.  They loaned on guns, tools, kayaks, and a bunch of other stuff, but not on car stereos.

I've found a lot of good deals on guns at some local ones, especially if you check back and see the guns are sitting there for several months at a time.  Offer them a lower price and they often take it because their money needs to be available to loan back out, not sitting in the inventory on the shelf.  The make a lot more off the guy that pawns and redeems every 6 months than they do off my purchase.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Back in 1989 I bought one of the best firearms I have ever owned at a pawn shop, a Savage Model 110 .270 that was in almost perfect condition.

The pawn shop in question, The Gift House, used to be in a "bad" part of town but now the area has been somewhat gentrified.  Still some homeless in the area, but nothing like it was during the 1970s.

If you are in the Ogden area you should stop by and check them out.  In addition, the Browning Firearms Museum is right across the street at the Union Station.  They have a good railroad museum, too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I like to go and see what they have every now and then but it's normally full of overpriced junk.

Every now and then you can actually find a deal, like once a year.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I am a pawn shop whore.  I have a real difficult time not stopping at one when I am out and about.  I will spend a whole day driving around looking for pawn shops to hit up.  

I love looking through their wares, and I love the art of making a deal (haggling).
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I couldn't begin to list the tools I have bought at them over the years.  MANY items, typically at <1/3 of new price.  

Every single item has a photo of who they bought it from, plus government-issued ID, plus the shop has to report every item taken in yesterday to the local PD today, so stolen items are minimal.  Occasionally the PD shows up to confiscate an item, but they are also good about arresting the seller, so losses are about one per month, based upon my conversations with various local shops.

Once you are known to the local shops, and known to be a solid individual with $ in your pocket, they like you, as they get weary of dealing with the druggie/alcoholic scumbags they buy stuff from, and they will treat you well.  Again, I've bought so many tools for so little $ it's breathtaking.  
View Quote

Aren't you in LE? Surely you must know that is bull shit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I deal with pawn shops on a daily basis....and yes and no. Reputable shops, especially corporate shops, are very good about obtaining ID and reporting. Mom and Pop shops run the gamut from shady as hell stolen goods fences to incredibly honest. You just have to know which is which.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I have overwhelmingly poor luck with pawn shops.  Almost every time I've gone in to one, ive found the stuff to be junk or overpriced by a significant margin.  I once walked into one locally that had a really nice SPAS 12 with the hook.  I swore I was going to walk out with it, until he told me what he wanted.  He wanted almost $2000 for it, but was willing to "make me a deal" and come down to $1900.  At the time, the going rate was around $1200.  I walked out.

The only time I've ever come across a deal that I thought was reasonable on a gun and I bought it was for an 870 Magnum with a 28" barrel.  It was basically a wingmaster that could handle 3 inch shells or whatever.  95%+ shape for $350 out the door.

Other than that, I haven't found anything worth my time.  My general assumption at this point, backed by empirical evidence, is that all these guys know what stuff is worth now so they price everything high and aren't willing to move much.  It's not like the old days where you could snatch something desirable up at bargain price
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have even a touch of street smarts you can get great deals on guns and jewelry in pawn shops.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I love pawn shops.  I have pulled some sweetly underpriced weapons out of tons of them.  I drive around a lot so there is a bit of an advantage to that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I deal with pawn shops on a daily basis....and yes and no. Reputable shops, especially corporate shops, are very good about obtaining ID and reporting. Mom and Pop shops run the gamut from shady as hell stolen goods fences to incredibly honest. You just have to know which is which.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a pawn shop chain that I used to deliver to across from the local Walmart that's full of bikes from... you guessed it Walmart.

The thieves don't even bother to remove the tags.

There's a Home Depot near by too, plenty of unopened tools to choose from at that pawn shop.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
most pawn shops and antique stores today are just over priced retail stores based on the misfortune of others.

if there's a deal in one someone else can have it.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:27:31 PM EDT
    [#25]
    Quoted:

One thing I found interesting is that certain States in the South didn't have gun shops, but had pawn and gun shops.  You literally couldn't find a stand alone gun store for some reason.
    View Quote

That's certainly the way it is on the Coast in MS. I know of one actual gun shop, but we have a few pawn shops that are really great, both for different reasons. Neither is overpriced on the new stuff. I picked up a new SCAR 17 in November for well under MAP. If it wasn't for them, all we would have would be Wal-Mart and Academy, and these shops blow those away.

The other one is the only game in town for anything LMT or DD. I separate the gun side of the house from the rest of the shop. I really wished we had better gun shops, but that's just the way it is. We have plenty of shady shady pawn shops, but I never visit those; just the couple with good reputations that sell at fair prices.

ETA: Got my LAV G17 in Grey and P226 Legion at a local pawnshop. If it wasn't for that store I never would have had the chance to pick those up without paying Gunbroker prices and next-day shipping.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:28:01 PM EDT
    [#26]
    I'm in lumber country, pawn shop nearby (which is about 10 miles) is filled with chainsaws, logging equipment, tools, which are usually priced well because there are so many used in the area.

Guns are normally fudd rifles which are fairly priced and handguns which is owner is a little too proud of.  Transfers are $25, all in all a nice place to browse.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:28:02 PM EDT
    [#27]
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:28:29 PM EDT
    [#28]
    Quoted:

There's a pawn shop chain that I used to deliver to across from the local Walmart that's full of bikes from... you guessed it Walmart.

The thieves don't even bother to remove the tags.

There's a Home Depot near by too, plenty of unopened tools to choose from at that pawn shop.
    View Quote

I have seen that as well, and the onus is on the store manager to keep his staff in line, and the local PD to do their job. When the local PD starts seizing property from the shop, that sort of things seems to diminish.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:30:01 PM EDT
    [#29]
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:31:14 PM EDT
    [#30]
    Pawn shops are poor people banks essentially, laundromats and currency exchanges are a sign of a shitbag town as well.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:31:26 PM EDT
    [#31]
    Quoted:

No, I've never been in LE.  It's law here in Illinoisistan, so I know for a fact it happens every day.  As I said, I've become well known in the local shops as a "frequent flyer" and so they tell me stuff when they are slow.  I have zero knowledge about what goes on in other states.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    I couldn't begin to list the tools I have bought at them over the years.  MANY items, typically at <1/3 of new price.  

Every single item has a photo of who they bought it from, plus government-issued ID, plus the shop has to report every item taken in yesterday to the local PD today, so stolen items are minimal.  Occasionally the PD shows up to confiscate an item, but they are also good about arresting the seller, so losses are about one per month, based upon my conversations with various local shops.

Once you are known to the local shops, and known to be a solid individual with $ in your pocket, they like you, as they get weary of dealing with the druggie/alcoholic scumbags they buy stuff from, and they will treat you well.  Again, I've bought so many tools for so little $ it's breathtaking.  

No, I've never been in LE.  It's law here in Illinoisistan, so I know for a fact it happens every day.  As I said, I've become well known in the local shops as a "frequent flyer" and so they tell me stuff when they are slow.  I have zero knowledge about what goes on in other states.

Whoops... always thought you were. My mistake.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:31:29 PM EDT
    [#32]
    I have only been to one a couple times around here. Never bought anything.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:31:42 PM EDT
    [#33]
    Quoted:

View Quote

Law doesnt make it any harder to cook the books in a pawn shop. Reputable shops are reputable because they want to be, and its actually better for business, not because he law says so.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:31:52 PM EDT
    [#34]
    we dont really have any pawn shops where i live.  but when i am at my apartment in florida i usually take a day to check out what some of the shops have in stock.  i have found some great deals in pawn shops with tools.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:32:31 PM EDT
    [#35]
    I was gun shopping last week pawn shop sign read "up to 50% off jewelry & guns"
    I go in asking which guns are half off.
    I get "i think we sold that one"
    Maggots
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:32:55 PM EDT
    [#36]
    I'd have to be willing to invest the time to hit them all frequently because every time I've ever been in one, there ain't jack sh*& and everything's way over priced
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:32:56 PM EDT
    [#37]
    I used to get sent to big towns for company training.  Dallas, Orlando ect.  That was 1990-2010.  It used to be great 'hunting' but not anymore.  Them guys in Vegas planted the idea in everyone's head there are bargains just waiting to be picked.

I stop at one here or there in my travels but rarely buy as it seems everything is priced at or near the cost of new.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:33:16 PM EDT
    [#38]
    Only one pawn shop around here that Ive found that carries guns.

Worthless beat up pos shotguns is what they carry.

If you want to buy stolen tools , a pawn shop is the way to go around here
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:34:21 PM EDT
    [#39]
    Quoted:
    You used to be able to find some amazing deals before the internet really took off and allowed them to instantly find out market values.

My Dad picked up a $2,500 guitar amp back in the 90's at a pawn shop for $450.

There are still deals to be had though if you know where to look.
    View Quote

The internet really killed finding great deals.  Pawn shops will still deal.  Bring cash and make offers.  There's one around here which is pretty high on individual items.  You start bundling and he starts dealing.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:35:26 PM EDT
    [#40]
    as far as gun buying goes, pawnshops are fine, provided you are an educated buyer. You have to understand condition and value.
    impulse buyers need to stay away from pawnshops.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:37:05 PM EDT
    [#41]
    Overpriced stolen shit.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:37:16 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Quoted:
    There's one right between where I work and live that does transfers fo $10..  The people there are nice and I have done nearly 40 in the last 2 years,  so I guess I like them.
    View Quote

same for me

great family owned shop, cheap transfers, always filled with quality stuff, etc

owner even holds stuff he knows I may be interested in

picked up a NIB model 60 no dash that way

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:37:54 PM EDT
    [#43]
    I live in SWVA. The pawn shops around me are great. The owners are all very nice and love to talk about anything. When I was down on my luck several years back, I sold a lot to this one place. He gave me a fair value for everything, and when I go to buy stuff he gives me price breaks, good deals, etc.

There are plenty of good deals to be had, and as long as you don't live in the ghetto, most of the owners are nice down to earth people who like guns :)
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:37:55 PM EDT
    [#44]
    The great deals are still there...but you nailed it...Cash talks. I see folks trying to haggle, then want to put the item on layaway, or use a credit card. Pawn shops make money in turnover, nopt individual deals. They would rather make a ten deals that net $10.00 a piece, than sit on one item that may profit $100.00
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:40:18 PM EDT
    [#45]
    Quoted:

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

All the items they take in here the pawn shop has to drop off sheets detailing the items. If not pawn shop owner is up shit creek.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:43:46 PM EDT
    [#46]
    I love me 80's CD's and VCR tapes  for five bucks

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:44:09 PM EDT
    [#47]
    Quoted:

All the items they take in here the pawn shop has to drop off sheets detailing the items. If not pawn shop owner is up shit creek.
    View Quote

Pawn ticket laws are pretty universal...and there is absolutely no one standing over the pawn clerks shoulder making sure the item is accurately described, or that O isn't a 0 in the serial number. Try going through a month of pawn slips, and tell me they are accurate, or even accurately checked. Further, that same nobody is the one auditing the shops, ensuring that every item on the shelf has a slip, and that there isn't a "back room" where the stolen stuff is stored.

Like I said earlier, honest shops are honest because it makes life easier, and they are honest folks.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:45:36 PM EDT
    [#48]
    Most of the ones around here stink, you know, eggs still in microwave, nasty TVs, spanish 8 tracks, stinky ass leather jackets, and shitty cheap ass guns, most beat to shit
    Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:45:58 PM EDT
    [#49]
    The only pawn shop I know of around here is a Pawn America.  They don't sell firearms at this store.  Everything in the store looks like it should be scooped up and dumped in the trash.  Prices are insane.  The power tools are generally beat to shit and priced higher than a new one.  They have machinist tools (indicaters, micrometers, calipers, etc) in a glass case.  Even if I haggled the prices in half, you'd still overpay.  For instance they had a bunch of those $5 Harbor Freight multimeters that you often get free (or the screw drivers or flashlight) with your order priced at $10 each.    

I usually walk out of there wondering why I bother to even stop and look.  The place feels about as shady as they get and you want to take a shower as soon as you get home.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:46:49 PM EDT
    [#50]
    Quoted:
    I haven't been in one you 15 years. They all suck in my area.
    View Quote

Yeah, I am thinking these "mythological" great deals are had by the same people who get great deals at gunshows.

I've never seen a great deal at either one.
    Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 4
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top