Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 8:27:30 PM EDT
... in Federalist No. 76:

To what purpose then require the co-operation of the Senate? I answer, that the necessity of their concurrence would have a powerful, though, in general, a silent operation. It would be an excellent check upon a spirit of favoritism in the President, and would tend greatly to prevent the appointment of unfit characters from State prejudice, from family connection, from personal attachment, or from a view to popularity. In addition to this, it would be an efficacious source of stability in the administration.

It will readily be comprehended, that a man who had himself the sole disposition of offices, would be governed much more by his private inclinations and interests, than when he was bound to submit the propriety of his choice to the discussion and determination of a different and independent body, and that body an entire branch of the legislature. The possibility of rejection would be a strong motive to care in proposing. The danger to his own reputation, and, in the case of an elective magistrate, to his political existence, from betraying a spirit of favoritism, or an unbecoming pursuit of popularity, to the observation of a body whose opinion would have great weight in forming that of the public, could not fail to operate as a barrier to the one and to the other. He would be both ashamed and afraid to bring forward, for the most distinguished or lucrative stations, candidates who had no other merit than that of coming from the same State to which he particularly belonged, or of being in some way or other personally allied to him, or of possessing the necessary insignificance and pliancy to render them the obsequious instruments of his pleasure.

I guess he was just one of the disgruntled "eliets" the White House keeps refering to in order to delegitimize the valid criticism of Bush's pick.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Alexander Hamilton hates America.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

And he was a crappy shot too.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And he was not nearly the RKBA advocate that Jefferson was.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Right!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:19:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Let's not forget that Hamilton favored a strong central gov't, too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes he did.  In fact he seems to have been a globalist of sorts.

Interesting read on Jefferson & Hamilton:
www.hamiltonsociety.org/Word%20Web%20Pages/Enemies%20in%20Life%20-%20Knott%20essay.htm
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
[Bushbot] I  always knew Our founding fathers were Commies! Them, the left, EVERYONE IS A COMMIE! AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH![/Bushbot]

Would you pass the grape flavored Kool-aid, Karl?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
It's also widely known that approximately one half the Hamiltons were given the name Halliburton upon reaching Ellis Island. This effort to avoid name over-saturation was done, IIRC,  at the request of the Cheney clan, which pretty much controlled all immigration into the U.S. at the time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah for T.J., Boo for A.H.!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
What was Alexander Hamiltons qualifications before he was elected to the legislature?  Soldier/accountant.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What was Alexander Hamiltons qualifications before he was elected to the legislature?  Soldier/accountant.

Hamilton was born in Jamaica, child of a woman who was most likely a prostitute. He sucked up to George Washington to get where he got.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. He just wasn't as good as Aaron Burr.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Wait, he came back from the dead again?

I thought we had that pesky zombie problem licked.  I guess we have to decide on a new caliber to kill zombie Hamilton.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Being Elected to the Legislature (by the people) Where you have to answer to the people and can get booted is entirely different than the essential "dictatorship" given to SCOTUS judges!
The judge is selected Not by the people but by the president, and in this case a croney, And they dont have to tell their "positions" on basically anything! How would a person like that fare in a general election? Once appointed they can basically do what they want without answering to the people or to anyone really! And they expect a "blank slate" stealth candidate to be acceptable?? The reason Bush picked her is not for her credentials as a judge but rather her LACK of credentials. So no one can review decisions. Bush's position to the people is basically "trust me". Fuck that!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
My point is that the lady in question has exibited a level of professionalism and aptitude that would make her able to perform the task at hand.  If you want to nitpick her to death on every topic under the sun you can forget it. Ruth Gensburg set the precedent for the non-answer long ago.  Just what do you expect to learn from a bunch of people too shiftless to work, asking a potential Supreme Court Justice questions?  Comes a time when you have to trust your presidents judgement. You don't have to agree with it though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being Elected to the Legislature (by the people) Where you have to answer to the people and can get booted is entirely different than the essential "dictatorship" given to SCOTUS judges!
The judge is selected Not by the people but by the president, and in this case a croney, And they dont have to tell their "positions" on basically anything! How would a person like that fare in a general election? Once appointed they can basically do what they want without answering to the people or to anyone really! And they expect a "blank slate" stealth candidate to be acceptable?? The reason Bush picked her is not for her credentials as a judge but rather her LACK of credentials. So no one can review decisions. Bush's position to the people is basically "trust me". Fuck that!

Patrick Henry predicted all of this, that's why he was an "Anti-Federalist" and, after reading the Constitution he uttered these famous words: "I SMELL A RAT!"
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The link I posted has some information on his background, but not a lot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's also widely known that approximately one half the Hamiltons were given the name Halliburton upon reaching Ellis Island. This effort to avoid name over-saturation was done, IIRC,  at the request of the Cheney clan, which pretty much controlled all immigration into the U.S. at the time.

Shhh!!  No more leaking of these secrets, or the MIB will have to take measures with that Neuralizer thingy...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hamilton was born in Jamaica, child of a woman who was most likely a prostitute. He sucked up to George Washington to get where he got.

He was born as the result of an adulterous affair. The sucking up part, I don't buy it. He built a reputation for himself as a good soldier (artillery) and a very intelligent man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top