Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2015 12:14:41 PM EDT
For those of you who hunt with a 12 gauge smooth bore shotgun for deer what is your best shooting slug?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't notice much difference between brands, though I noticed that I get more consistent accuracy with standard loads relative to reduced recoil loads.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
When I lived in Ohio I hunted deer with a 410 slug gun and Brenneke silver slugs shot really well and had the best terminal performance.  Remington Slugger shot slightly more accurately but did not have the same terminal performance.

For 3-gun/multi gun competition I have always found Remington reduced recoil Slugger shot really well while still running my 1100 reliably.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a rifled slug. Do not use a Sabot.

Our very own Old_Painless did a test. I linked it right HERE
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Extreme Shock Ammo. Ninja Strong!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Regular Remington slugger in my Winchester 1300 and Mossberg 500 12 ga.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Winchester super X in my 870. I can shoot the center out of a paper plate at 100 yards with it. For a supersonic brick launcher,  that ain't bad.
Remington slugger also performs well for me most times.

OP, smoothbores are real picky and you need to try two boxes of everything you can find.

ETA: that barrel has had an improved cylinder choke stuck in it for 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the brenneke KOs did well in my smooth 870 slug barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
It depends on the shotgun, my 1301 shoots very accurately with Freedom Munitions leads slugs. Also does very good with 7/8 low recoil and 1 oz full power Fiocchi slugs. B&P's are hard to make it run on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Remington sluggers and Fiocchi low recoil slugs shoot wonderfully out of my 3 12 gauges.  Moss. 500, Beretta 1301 and Winchester 1300.

ETA:  There are probably even better slugs out there but didn't bother testing anymore cause the rems and fiocchis shot so well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Suprisingly the economical Remington standard slugs and the Federal Truball for most of my guns.  Brenneke do well too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends on the shotgun, my 1301 shoots very accurately with Freedom Munitions leads slugs. Also does very good with 7/8 low recoil and 1 oz full power Fiocchi slugs. B&P's are hard to make it run on.
View Quote

Another 1301 guy.  Got the tactical or comp model?

Mine is the tactical, love the peeps on it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had good luck with winchester and federal regular and reduced recoil stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Do most of you fellas use standard slugs or magnums?  If you use both how much of a difference is there in POI?

I've got absolute shit tons of Remington standard and magnum 00 buck and shitloads of standard slugs.  I'd like to move up to magnum slugs, but not sure I've actually got a good reason other than "more power".
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Second this...using a SBE II and 870.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they make the good stuff. Brenneke is the champagne of rifled shotgun slugs. lol.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do most of you fellas use standard slugs or magnums?  If you use both how much of a difference is there in POI?

I've got absolute shit tons of Remington standard and magnum 00 buck and shitloads of standard slugs.  I'd like to move up to magnum slugs, but not sure I've actually got a good reason other than "more power".
View Quote

More recoil for nothing IMO. If you want to shoot through stuff, get a specialty steel slug.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Truball in one and Remington slugger in the other.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

More recoil for nothing IMO. If you want to shoot through stuff, get a specialty steel slug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kinda what I'm thinking about using magnums, just wasn't sure if there was a distinct advantage.  

I only plan on shooting hogs with them, reckon standard slugs would work just fine.

That damn 1301 will beat ya up enough with standards. lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's kinda what I'm thinking about using magnums, just wasn't sure if there was a distinct advantage.  

I only plan on shooting hogs with them, reckon standard slugs would work just fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IA 3 inch magnum slug is no fun. No fun at all. not at bad as 3.5" max dram number 4 buckshot, but still, I think I'd rather just get kicked by a midget. lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

IA 3 inch magnum slug is no fun. No fun at all. not at bad as 3.5" max dram number 4 buckshot, but still, I think I'd rather just get kicked by a midget. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I've never fired a 3.5 incher, bet that's fun.

This Beretta is the most horribly kicking shotgun I've ever owned...well other than a break open single shot.  I almost don't want to carry 3" 00 in the sumbitch.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

lol

This Beretta is the most horribly kicking shotgun I've ever owned...well other than a break open single shot.  I almost don't want to carry 3" 00 in the sumbitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

A few years back I witnessed a coyote killed at about 250 yards with 3.5" 4 buck. It was a luck shot. One ball went through its skull. Remington 870 utramag with a full choke. Everytime I shot one, I expect to find that full choke gone and no thread in the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I've always had good accuracy with the Brenneke 2 3/4" black magic slugs.

With the penetration they provide, there's no reason to run 3" slugs other than to beat up your shoulder and cheek.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#25]
When I had my 870 with the rifled/rifle sight barrel, the 2 3/4" Federal gray box slugs were touching at 50 yards.

nvm - missed the smoothbore part
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#26]

A few years back I witnessed a coyote killed at about 250 yards with 3.5" 4 buck. It was a luck shot. One ball went through its skull. Remington 870 utramag with a full choke. Everytime I shot one, I expect to find that full choke gone and no thread in the barrel.
View Quote

What's the normal effective range of that setup?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Whatever the standard Brenneke is. Bought a bunch many years ago and still have them.

Better wound channel than the rounded slugs, too. Basically a full wadcutter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Don't need the 3" magnums anyways. For hogs the regular ole 2 3/4 are just fine. If the reduced loads cycle they'll kill em just as well, too.
Daniel
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Don't need the 3" magnums anyways. For hogs the regular ole 2 3/4 are just fine. If the reduced loads cycle they'll kill em just as well, too.
Daniel
View Quote

I'll be following you fellas advice.  Already have several hundred rounds of standard slugs anyway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Foster slugs.  2-3/4 Winchester Super X or Remington Slugger or The Federal Power Shock or Lightfelds.  Get a box or two of each and see which you gun likes best.  Be very wary of flinching and shooting technique because it's easy to throw the shot off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A hundred yards on yotes given someone who knows his gun. Maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Federal tru-ball shoots best out of my smoothbores.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#33]
My Winchester 1300 & Winchester 3" rifled slugs have taken a couple dozen deer.  Been a while since I tested any other brands though.

Recoil kinda sucks when sighting-in & practicing, but like usual, don't even notice it when there is a deer in the sights.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that's good.

I've recently discovered flitecontrol wads, love it.  Not sure the max range I can get out of it with 00 buck though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Damn, that's good.

I've recently discovered flitecontrol wads, love it.  Not sure the max range I can get out of it with 00 buck though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that's good.

You'd be surprised with the newer stuff coming out. It isn't all  gimmicks like it used to be. Flite control wads, Vang Comp barrels, specialty screw chokes. they work, if you get used to using them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Federal tru ball out of my m2
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, thanks for the very quick replies, I am going to get some brenneke slugs and also get some Remington cheap ones and try out.

What kind accuracy are you getting out the 50 to 100 yards with the brenneke slugs and also the Remington cheap slugs?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#39]
My Mossberg 930 really likes the Remington standard velocity 2 3/4" 1 oz "Slugger" slugs.  It does not like high velocity or "premium" rifled slugs.  I had assumed it would be the opposite, but to my surprise the el cheapo Wally World Sluggers shoot the best.  

I use Williams "Slugger" sights attached to my vent rib.

I replaced the rear notch sight with a ghost ring.  Braced on a bench and shooting off a bag with this setup I can keep the Remington slugs in a patter I can cover with my palm.  I shot a little at 100 yards to check accuracy, and at that range I was minute of paper plate.  With this set up where I hunt with it I don't anticipate a shot beyond 75 yards, and most around 50 or shorter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Federal Truball
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Our AL391s will have holes touching on the target at 50 yards shooting the cheap Federal and Winchester slugs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Brenneke.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#43]
If I think it's a lot cheaper to find a good slug vs buying a 450 Bushmaster or a 44 lever action rifle. :)
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I've tested a lot of the different loads in many different shotguns and have found there to by no rhyme or reason to any of the groupings I get for the most part.

Remington loads don't necessarily shoot well in my 11-87 or 870- which always surprised me.

the 2 loads which seem to shoot the best out of a host of shotguns I have  are the Winchester Bulk Pack and the Brenneke's.
these are the ones I buy in bulk quantities.

my best shooting slug gun is a Winchester 1300 with a 24 inch Winchoked Barrel with rifle sights.  Shooting the Winchester Bulk Pack Slugs with a I/C or Mod choke I get wicked accuracy out to 75 yards.

the best thing you can do is buy a lot of different Slugs and head to the range.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If I think it's a lot cheaper to find a good slug vs buying a 450 Bushmaster or a 44 lever action rifle. :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol you're probably right bud.  I haven't used very many different slugs cause the Remington sluggers shot pretty good from all my guns.  Only reason I got the fiocchis is cause the 1301 beats my ass up.  Who likes getting beat up by their own shotgun?

You'd be surprised with the newer stuff coming out. It isn't all  gimmicks like it used to be. Flite control wads, Vang Comp barrels, specialty screw chokes. they work, if you get used to using them.

Yeah the flite controls are new fangled area to me.  I like em cause I can use them in my shorter fixed choked shotguns to great effect.  I've been using shotguns since I started shooting but have always stuck with the same old thing.  About time to check out the new stuff.  I'd like to get some sort of fancy adjustable choke for my 1300, that'd be cool.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 24" 1301, can handle 15 in the tube. Only thing I don't like about it is where the the serial number is, can't open the port big enough.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Federal red box in my Ithaca 51. Back in the day
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I like brenneke 2 3/4 green lightning.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#49]
All I know is since I had OEM ghost rings professionally installed on my 590, it's EXTREMELY accurate with
all the slugs I've put in it. Love those sights; money well spent.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

The 1301 is worse than the old 1201? My 1201FP is no fun at all with Winchester 2 3/4" slugs, and a lot of them in a row give me a case of "yabbida-yabbida-yabbida".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top