Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until OP finds out about digital television

And DVD's

Betamax is where it’s at.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Shut down the “dumb phones”.  

Now, you have to buy a phone that tracks you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kind of like my old Nokia 3310. It just gets phased out.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81Na4DGpthL._AC_SY879_.jpg
View Quote

*cough*

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Worldwide-T-Mobile-Tracfone/dp/B09G782SXL

4g. voice over lte. Works on t-mobile and att.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Trust me.

Don't.

They can work together... they just don't need to.

But it isn't "interference".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought I heard on the radio it had to do with interference with 5g.  Not sure I believe.

Trust me.

Don't.

They can work together... they just don't need to.

But it isn't "interference".

Sure it is. The money it takes to keep 3G infrastructure working interferes with the profits from 5G.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, you don't.

That said, cell phone tracking by tracking the towers you hit is built into the system.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No conspiracy, they just want to reallocate that spectrum to 5G services which much more efficiently use the bandwidth.
View Quote

They need the 5g to activate the COVID Vaccine Nano-Bots..
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ZeroG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the original OG?

ZeroG

Oh G
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I fucking HATE DTV!!!

The people that decides to switch to that for rural people should be beaten!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

*laughs in 300 watt pager transmitters and 7 ft tall ge mastr cabinets*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any idea how long 4g will last?

No idea, but I’m still building new 4G cell sites.

I’m fairly new to wireless so still learning the ins and outs (coming up on 1 year) but we usually build them with 5G on the same pole. Down in Rio Grande Valley we’re still building a lot of standalone 4G sites, though.

I’ve also been noticing 3G has already been turned off at a lot of tower sites. The old 3G cabinets are still there but they’re powered down.

ETA: I prefer just building 5G sites because the radios are a lot lighter. 4G radios are a PIA.

Yeah, I know. I’m new to wireless, not telecom. I installed commercial telephone systems for 23 years. The old AT&T/Lucent Definity cabinets weighed 800 lbs fully loaded and we’d sometimes put 10-15 of them in the same room. As technology progressed we went from filling up a room with refrigerator sized cabinets to filling a single rack with servers and media gateways that could still process 100,000+ calls/hour.

Wireless has gone the same route. The old Alcatel-Lucent 3G cabinets are as big as the old Definity cabinets, but we only need about 12U of rack space to run 5G on a tower (not including the antennas and radios that are up on the tower itself).

I’m getting old. My rotator cuff is a mess, I have arthritis in my shoulder, and cortisone shots suck. I’d rather haul 30 lb 5G radios up a pole than 80 lb 4G radios. Cut me some slack.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know. I’m new to wireless, not telecom. I installed commercial telephone systems for 23 years. The old AT&T/Lucent Definity cabinets weighed 800 lbs fully loaded and we’d sometimes put 10-15 of them in the same room. As technology progressed we went from filling up a room with refrigerator sized cabinets to filling a single rack with servers and media gateways that could still process 100,000+ calls/hour.

Wireless has gone the same route. The old Alcatel-Lucent 3G cabinets are as big as the old Definity cabinets, but we only need about 12U of rack space to run 5G on a tower (not including the antennas and radios that are up on the tower itself).

I’m getting old. My rotator cuff is a mess, I have arthritis in my shoulder, and cortisone shots suck. I’d rather haul 30 lb 5G radios up a pole than 80 lb 4G radios. Cut me some slack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea, but I’m still building new 4G cell sites.

I’m fairly new to wireless so still learning the ins and outs (coming up on 1 year) but we usually build them with 5G on the same pole. Down in Rio Grande Valley we’re still building a lot of standalone 4G sites, though.

I’ve also been noticing 3G has already been turned off at a lot of tower sites. The old 3G cabinets are still there but they’re powered down.

ETA: I prefer just building 5G sites because the radios are a lot lighter. 4G radios are a PIA.

Did you ever get to do any work in the longlines sites?

My dad was considering buying one up when the system was decommissioned. I have been trying to find pictures of the twisted pair routing laid out perfectly neat by the thousands in some of those for years now and just can't find any. I try and explain to people some of the *old* ma bell phoneman worksmanship (from where they cared and worked at it) but without the visuals, people just don't get it.

Also, it could be worse. You could be a climber. Though I hear people rarely hang hardline now and it's mostly filling in with the smaller repeaters.

Also: darnit, this base station remote is setup where polarity matters! Come over here and fix your lines NOW!  (sorry, just had to).
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My dad was considering buying one up when the system was decommissioned. I have been trying to find pictures of the twisted pair routing laid out perfectly neat by the thousands in some of those for years now and just can't find any. I try and explain to people some of the *old* ma bell phoneman worksmanship (from where they cared and worked at it) but without the visuals, people just don't get it.

Also, it could be worse. You could be a climber. Though I hear people rarely hang hardline now and it's mostly filling in with the smaller repeaters.

Also: darnit, this base station remote is setup where polarity matters! Come over here and fix your lines NOW!  (sorry, just had to).
View Quote

I’ve done work in Central Offices. The way those buildings were cabled out was impressive, especially the way they were all sown in with wax string every six inches or so.

When I started at Lucent about 80% of the technician workforce was retirement eligible. These old guys had done it all, from residential service to teletype to being lineman to building central offices. Ma Bell, AT&T, Lucent would actually send them to school to learn to “sew” that wax string in Altamont Springs, FL. They had crews that did nothing but cable out and “sew” Central Offices and everything had to be perfect. Most of them would tell stories about spending hours sewing down a cable tray and one of the old guys would walk in, point out a bad stitch, and cut out hours worth of work and tell them to start over.

I know a couple of basic stitches. Installing phone systems in office buildings we usually used zip ties or Velcro, but they want us to use wax string installing equipment at the base of towers so I had to learn a few stitches.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Considering it has been out for 13 years... and it's replacement has already been in use for 3...

Long enough for critical equipment it relies on to be upgraded, would be my guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering it has been out for 13 years... and it's replacement has already been in use for 3...

Long enough for critical equipment it relies on to be upgraded, would be my guess.

That's disingenuous, as are "launch dates".

Sure, 5G has been available in select markets for a while, but coverage isn't nearly as extensive as 4G is right now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
What's going to happen to remote areas where the only cell service is 1x roaming off AT&T?  Occasionally your phone will say 3G service but no data will work. Only phone calls and text without images. When you call out a message is given "please wait while we try to locate the subscriber you have dialed" and then 30 seconds later it finally starts ringing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’ve done work in Central Offices. The way those buildings were cabled out was impressive, especially the way they were all sown in with wax string every six inches or so.

When I started at Lucent about 80% of the technician workforce was retirement eligible. These old guys had done it all, from residential service to teletype to being lineman to building central offices. Ma Bell, AT&T, Lucent would actually send them to school to learn to “sew” that wax string in Altamont Springs, FL. They had crews that did nothing but cable out and “sew” Central Offices and everything had to be perfect. Most of them would tell stories about spending hours sewing down a cable tray and one of the old guys would walk in, point out a bad stitch, and cut out hours worth of work and tell them to start over.

I know a couple of basic stitches. Installing phone systems in office buildings we usually used zip ties or Velcro, but they want us to use wax string installing equipment at the base of towers so I had to learn a few stitches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've seen that stuff, it's something else.

For those who were wondering what the 0g system is...

25 mile microwave links. Oh and one that we used to communicate at longer ranges with cuba.

https://long-lines.net/

Cold war era cell network. All in buildings that were reinforced concrete and some genuine nuclear bunkers:

https://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2009/07/cold-war-relic-att-long-lines-microwave-site-kingston-ny/

When they shut down the network they were selling the sites cheap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ZeroG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ZeroG
AMPS

Quoted:
I have been trying to find pictures of the twisted pair routing laid out perfectly neat by the thousands in some of those for years now and just can't find any.

Seriously? There are a ton out there, plus a bunch of youtube videos. ESS and step AT&T are good keywords,
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Ive got the same message before op. So is the whole damn phone gonna be dead 4g? Or just the data part?

Galaxy something something
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Not enough bandwith for properly tracking and recording everything you say for the NSA. Gotta get rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup, it pretty much ruled flip phones obsolete. I always preferred those simple $20 3g flip phones that are basically just a modernized folding nokia (simple menu, no button press lag, battery lasts 2 weeks, etc). Since getting booted off 3g, I tried a few of the 4g flip phones but they are all hot garbage. They are basically just all very shitty smartphones running a shitty OS on a tiny screen rather than the old phones that didn't really emulate an OS like a smart phone would have. At this point might there's no reason not to just get a smartphone that doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
AMPS

Seriously? There are a ton out there, plus a bunch of youtube videos. ESS and step AT&T are good keywords,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZeroG
AMPS

Quoted:
I have been trying to find pictures of the twisted pair routing laid out perfectly neat by the thousands in some of those for years now and just can't find any.

From the longlines sites?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZeroG
AMPS

Quoted:

That reminds me.

Ley lines ARE an option too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y9waMA7GJz4/U-EJBtX0k3I/AAAAAAAADcs/50k73voM7Tk/s1600/att_long_lines_1960.jpg

25 mile microwave links. Oh and one that we used to communicate at longer ranges with cuba.

Cold war era cell network. All in buildings that were reinforced concrete and some genuine nuclear bunkers:

https://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2009/07/cold-war-relic-att-long-lines-microwave-site-kingston-ny/

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ahOVbI91UfxHNLNN6JLLYVTQUI-llYbMbLynCGlLC9uwOUeZdJWqGmgS2Wu_iX8bAT68h-NT0x-k2D2KHLFyzujCNYizn3Lehw=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

View Quote

It seems a lot were scooped up by cell companies. There are several Long Lines sites in my area
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

And horseless carriages.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep, I've been using 5g for working on 3 years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They've been running 3G at the minimum required by the FCC for about 4 years around here.

@beitodesstrafe

Sounds like suspiciously like coastal big city faggotry, this having 5g for 3 years.

3G phase out was a huge pain for me last fall, since the only flip phones made any more are either complete disposable junk or huge contractor models.  Neither one of which is particularly suitable for my 70 yo mother.

She somehow managed to turn on voice activation of the camera on her new flip phone and it took a picture, while sitting on the counter, while she was taking a shower.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That reminds me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZeroG
AMPS

Quoted:

That reminds me.

Don't make me sic our glitter boys on you.

You know what happened the last time a bunch got together.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It seems a lot were scooped up by cell companies. There are several Long Lines sites in my area
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y9waMA7GJz4/U-EJBtX0k3I/AAAAAAAADcs/50k73voM7Tk/s1600/att_long_lines_1960.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ahOVbI91UfxHNLNN6JLLYVTQUI-llYbMbLynCGlLC9uwOUeZdJWqGmgS2Wu_iX8bAT68h-NT0x-k2D2KHLFyzujCNYizn3Lehw=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

https://long-lines.com/map

Not a complete map. They still have some of the nuclear bunkers in use for other things.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020808144557/http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/Ellisville.htm
ELLISVILLE, FL AT&T SITE L-4, L-5 FORMER AUTOVON 1ESS SWITCH GEP SITE Currently 5ESS

See photos of this site Ellisville photo album.

REPORT BY JOHN WARNE

Part 1

Ellisville was constructed in 1966 as a "partially hardened" site, designed to withstand nuclear explosions in the Jacksonville, FL, area.

At the time of construction, the site was rated to withstand an "overpressure of 100 pounds per square inch," according to an AT&T employee that has worked at the site since the late 60's.

"Although today, we are probably down to 50 pounds or so," he said.

Modern targeting technology has rendered the "partial hardening" obsolete, he said. "'He' can drop a bomb right down our air vent shaft if 'he' wanted to now."

3-foot thick concrete walls extend about 50 feet from the surface, with two main equipment floors. Earth is piled up on the surface, so the bottom of the facility is only about 40 feet below the surrounding area.

A small spring was discovered during excavation. AT&T negotiated with a farmer to allow AT&T to "dump" the spring water into a farm pond, and built a 2-mile long 24" culvert to divert the water. The farmer's pond is still being fed from the spring.

Today, the facility is a large switching point for AT&T long-distance service, both voice and data. Only one rack of "cold-war" vintage hangs from the ceiling on springs. An entire floor was gutted and raised "computer room" flooring installed - a technique not allowed in the 60's and 70's.

The microwave horns on the tower have been abandoned in place. All traffic (well, all traffic that he would comment on) flows over fiber cables on 4 paths - Jacksonville to the east, Orlando to the south, Live Oak to the west, and Waycross to the north).

There's an antenna on the top of the tower that looks like a single Combat Ciders antenna. When asked about that, he said "I can neither confirm nor deny any such system, equipment, or activity of that nature at this site."

I was allowed to photograph in many areas of the facility, although the one remaining vintage rack and equipment was in an area that corporate AT&T policy would not allow. :-(

I'll write more as time permits, including details about the decontamination shower, the "fallout lock," nuclear blast detectors that never worked, and visiting a humongous room lined with air filters along one wall. Pictures will be posted on my web site once they return from Seattle FilmWorks.

Ellisville, Part. 2:

Ever used a toilet set on springs? Ellisville has two of them (including "flex" plumbing to and from the appliance). One sits and contemplates just what things would have been like if the ultimate had happened.

This is just an illustration of how seriously any "bounce" from a nuclear detonation was taken. All of the original equipment racks and any control equipment installed along the walls had shock springs.

The generator room is a good example. Two 75 kw generators sit at the ready. The original units are still in service today. The control panels are not attached to the wall, but have springs at the bottom and the top.

BTW, this whole place is *spotless." One expects active areas (containing an AT&T 5ESS toll switch and rows of digital switching equipment - for T-1 and higher concentrations of data - and hundreds of echo canceller units) to be clean and orderly. And, those areas are, without a scrap of paper to be seen. Even the employee desks bear no resemblence to *my* office desk - no paper stacks piled high and overflowing (I know there's a desk there somewhere under all the paper - at least there was one day).

The areas not currently used, and even the back stairwell, are all clean and neat. No "backroom" full of junk, boxes, or stuff.

Entry to the facility is through a conventional door set in a non-descript white building with a AT&T "deathstar" logo. One door in a small vestibule opens into the "dumbwaiter" room. All equipment moving in or out passes through a rollup steel door and into a large metal basket attached to an overhead crane. The dumbwaiter/elevator moves from surface level to either of the underground operational levels, stopping next to access doors into the protected part of the facility.

A second door in the vestibule opens into a stairwell for human access (no elevator). Down a couple flights, and you are standing at an opened, 18"-thick blast door. Step thru the portal and you are in a small chamber, with another blast door set in a wall. This one is closed. It has a long lever, running from lower right to the left side at waist level.

"When originally designed, only one door could be opened at a time. This is the 'Fallout Lock.'"

Two hands are used to move the lever and the door swings open when you pull. A breeze can be felt, flowing outward. "We still maintain some positive pressure within the facility. Once upon a time, the pressure maintaind was high enough to make it difficult to close the door, once we disabled the interlock feature. Oh, by the way, your pager won't work while inside the area. We are sheathed in copper for dealing with the Electromagnetic Pulse."

Ellisville, Part 3.

In 1966, the only way known to deal with the EMP was to shield, shield, and shield. Now-a-days, "hardening" techniques can be applied directly to the electronic components, with less reliance on total environmental shielding.

But, the gentleman was right - the pager fell silent for the duration of my being underground.

There is another exit from the fallout lock. It leads through a shower area for decontamination of personell entering the facility. The shower heads still hang in position. I'm told that new employees at the facility used to be sent through the shower as sort of an initiation the first time they reported for duty (OK, so humor wasn't their long suit).

A short hallway leads past the restroom (unisex) and into the large first level, being used by AT&T for modern switching equipment.

We go down another set of stairs, around a corner, and past three cooling towers for the original air-conditioning. These are no longer used. Units on the surface have the freon pumped up to them and returned.

There's a door beyond the heat exchangers. The wall next to the door has what looks like long metal rods sticking out from the wall. Draped over each rod is a yellowish-looking material, with considerable smudges on each panel.

Passing through the door, I'm in a large room, some 20X20X20 feet. One wall has a series of louvers and grates, denying easy human access to 3 or 4 5 ft diameter corrigated metal pipes. These are the fresh air intakes from the surface. The intakes used to be able to be sealed to prevent contaminated air from entering the facility, but this capability has been removed. The opposite wall is covered with greenish panels. I realize I'm standing in a large air plenum.

"Large particulate matter gets caught in these green filers. Smaller stuff gets trapped in the filters on the other side of the wall."

As we walk back to the 5ESS, I ask about the nuclear blast detectors up on the surface and what mechanism was used for detection - EMP, Overpressure, or the flash.

He doesn't know, but said the system never really went into operation. "Just about the time we finished installing, the system was declared operational and immediatly declared obsolete. I think it was made operational only so the contract could be closed. We never used them."

So much for my vision of a blast sealing the complex, then flashing the news to the military that "Jacksonville doesn't seem to be there anymore."

I asked about occupancy factor. He said they had enough supplies for a 150 or so for almost a month. "That would have been a large staff."

"Well, it was intended that the employees bring their families along. Oherwise, we'd not have had anyone willing to work."

End of report

Additional notes about Ellisville from John Warne:

Site is 2 stories, reputed to be 22 ft each. L-Carrier equipment totally gone.

The UHF GEP antennas are "abandoned in place." All associated equipment for operation has been removed.

Ellisville did have an AUTOVON (model unknown), but the military has installed their own "somewhere else."

The center is a 5ESS Toll switch center for voice and data. The only governmental involvement seems to be a one-stick Combat Ciders antenna - the AT&T person refused comment about it.

The current staffing is about 40 people, 8-hour shifts. This includes the field (Outside Plant) persons, too. There were about a half dozen in the complex while I was there (not counting the softdrink vendor, filling the machine).

Return to L-4 Home Page
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@beitodesstrafe

Sounds like suspiciously like coastal big city faggotry, this having 5g for 3 years.

3G phase out was a huge pain for me last fall, since the only flip phones made any more are either complete disposable junk or huge contractor models.  Neither one of which is particularly suitable for my 70 yo mother.

She somehow managed to turn on voice activation of the camera on her new flip phone and it took a picture, while sitting on the counter, while she was taking a shower.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They've been running 3G at the minimum required by the FCC for about 4 years around here.

@beitodesstrafe

I was honestly confused when all the 5g memes started coming out recently.

I had to look it up.

DC was one of the first roll-out cities in 2019.

I thought everyone was already on 5g like 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZeroG
AMPS

Quoted:

That reminds me.

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZeroG
AMPS

Quoted:

That reminds me.

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I heard beta max is on its way out
View Quote

Next get rid of VHS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Next get rid of VHS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard beta max is on its way out

Next get rid of VHS.

Already done.

Last new VHS player were made in 2014, IIRC.

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was bummed when they took the tower off the roof of our old Bell C/O.

It gave downtown a certain look.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How do you still have a 3G phone??? I'm not even mad I'm impressed.
View Quote

This thread reeks of Bengay and moth balls.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you still have a 3G phone??? I'm not even mad I'm impressed.

Comrade, you can do better at enforcing the red guard directives!

Old Ideas, Old Culture, Old Habits, and Old Customs .... we must destroy them all to have glorious year zero!

Your mockery of the past is admirable at destroying the evil olds, but you can do better! Go partcipate in your local struggle session! I believe they call it cancel culture now!

The cultural revolution must go forward!

The very best usefuls are the ones fulfilling the exact goals of the cultural devolution but who swear they aren't and couldn't be. Better yet, they think the are against it and are just cracking jokes (while not realizing what's going on).

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find my prune juice and hope for a good movement of my own.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just got a text from Boost Mobile saying that my phone will stop working in the coming weeks due to 3G being phased out.
View Quote

Boost Mobile? 3G? Did Obama buy it for you?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got a text from Boost Mobile saying that my phone will stop working in the coming weeks due to 3G being phased out.

I had been a customer of Virgin mobile for well over a decade. No contracts, no bullshit. Paying every month the whole time. Virgin bailed out of the US market, and Boost took over. Same deal now as with Virgin. $35/mo. 6GB data. Currently at 0 usage. Now Boost is ending 3G, and will kill my 4G because VoLTE (which my current phone doesn't suppport) is required starting in March. Fuck it. I'll buy a $40 Samsung VoLTE phone. Again, I use my phone as a phone. For phone calls. I text just a bit, but as little as possible. I have a normal PC, two laptops, and a Raspberry Pi at home.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Turning off 3G so they can build out 5G in that chunk of spectrum.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Turning off 3G so they can build out 5G in that chunk of spectrum.
View Quote

Yes. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I had to look it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@beitodesstrafe

I had to look it up.

Tell us more of the future.  

Are you on vaccine booster 6 or 7?

Are Tesla's completely self driving yet?

How many pronouns and genders are you using on a daily basis?

Do you have gender neutral glory holes at work?

We don't have 5g yet and are still on 4Glte.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is a case of city people being unable to imagine a world where you aren't right next to a bunch of cell towers.
View Quote

Nah, they know pretty well how it'll affect every area they supposedly cover.  This is more a case of cellular companies finally being allowed by .gov to cut off a service that is costing them a lot more than it is making them.  Country simple, it aint that they don't know, it's that they don't care.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Not a luddite like some of you. Personally I use 8G squared. Future proof I'm told. Now back to listening to some 1/4" tape on my reel to reel (I am).
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Already done.

Last new VHS player were made in 2014, IIRC.

View Quote
Vinyl records outsell CD's now. Hipsters keeping it in stores I guess.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

My dad worked Longlines for 30+ years.  Installed some of the original 4e switches at 33 Thomas, spec'ed a lot of the interconnects at the blast hardened sites.. Not real sure longlines dealt much in twisted pair, it was all coax and microwave when he was there.

ETA- while we're at it, my FIL worked maintenance at Bell Labs at Murray Hill, and my dad used to take me to Christmas events at, I think it was 550 Madison as well as the Holmdel site.  The big transistor water tower is still there last I checked.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Which will be a downgrade in quality. They have been offering me lots of phones I dont want. I have a pristine Galaxy S7. Very robust. they are offering me a phone I dont want.

Ill wait to see what happens.
View Quote

Im still running an S4!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My dad worked Longlines for 30+ years.  Installed some of the original 4e switches at 33 Thomas, spec'ed a lot of the interconnects at the blast hardened sites.. Not real sure longlines dealt much in twisted pair, it was all coax and microwave when he was there.

ETA- while we're at it, my FIL worked maintenance at Bell Labs at Murray Hill, and my dad used to take me to Christmas events at, I think it was 550 Madison as well as the Holmdel site.  The big transistor water tower is still there last I checked.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have just been the few I got to go into.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#48]
The Federal Communications Commission requires all 3g bands to be turned off by EOY 2022 within the US.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Must have just been the few I got to go into.
View Quote

Probably different eras of equipment too.  He was just getting out when the 4ESS switches were going in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#50]
phased out is a fancy way to say turned off.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top