Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2023 1:14:08 PM EDT
Last time at Napa a guy came in with a canister. I'm done with draining into that shitty plastic leaking fucker then pouring into tide bottles.

Which system do you have? I use floor jack-no hi lift, so I don't need the long neck.

The guy with that canister said he puts a hose down the dipstick tube. I don't think that will get everything and even if it did not real sure I want to shove a plastic hose down in there.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Shitty plastic drain pan, spare bottles from last change, burn barrel for disposal.

ETA: no dipstick on some of my cars, but would still use drain plug.....pull plug, go eat lunch or something while she's emptying.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a 3gallon tuff stuff rubber water/feeder pan for my oil catcher
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Fumoto Valves on two of my vehicles, connect the hose and drain directly in the jug.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fumoto Valves on two of my vehicles, connect the hose and drain directly in the jug.
View Quote

Don't you worry about valves failing or getting knocked off?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't you worry about valves failing or getting knocked off?
View Quote

Nope, my 4runner has a skid plate that covers it. The Accord has plenty of clearance. They both have a safety clip on the lever that has the be removed before the valve can be turned.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The drain pan I use doubles as the waste oil container. Got it at Pep Boys around 2011
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a plastic oil drain container which will hold a gallon or two, then I pour it into a 5 gallon bucket.  When full I bring it to O'Reilley's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024G1T9O?tag=arfcom00-20

I have one like this.
had it for 20 plus years.
I put the plugs back in so I can take it in and have them drain it.
holds like 12 or 14 qts.
so I can get 2 oil changes before I have to drain it.
only issue I have had is the center plug has very weak threads on the plug and they rip out.
used jb weld plastic to make new threads and it works fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a basic oil pan, something like this one but maybe a little wider.

I have some leftover 5 gallon diesel gas cans and I dump the waste in there or in the original oil container.
Oreilly's does recycling here about about one out of five times they'll bitch about the diesel cans not being
approved, but they haven't outright refused me yet.

Good topside oil extractors actually work very well and get almost everything. I used one for my lower
vehicles and tested it by pulling the drain plug after the extraction and got almost nothing more to drain.
Now everything I have is tall enough to work on without any jacking and I just drain the old fashioned
way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve been using the same cat litter box for about 20 years. Pour it from there into a 5 gallon bucket that has a spout in the lid. Then to the county recycling center.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good topside oil extractors actually work very well and get almost everything.
View Quote

That's kinda what I gathered from reading the reviews on the one linked above.

Funny, I knew the old one (maybe 20 years old) was giving up the ghost. The big screw cap was loose and getting looser, today it just spun and spun with no tight. It's in the trash.

Good Lord willing that one above gets here Tuesday and I'll try it next weekend. Fingers crossed. Thx!
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Funny, I knew the old one (maybe 20 years old) was giving up the ghost. The big screw cap was loose and getting looser, today it just spun and spun with no tight. It's in the trash.

Good Lord willing that one above gets here Tuesday and I'll try it next weekend. Fingers crossed. Thx!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good topside oil extractors actually work very well and get almost everything.

I have a decent one but haven’t been able to get enough oil out of any of our vehicles to make me happy. Works great on my outboard though. It has come in handy for a lot of things but I still use the drain plug on our vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a decent one but haven’t been able to get enough oil out of any of our vehicles to make me happy. Works great on my outboard though. It has come in handy for a lot of things but I still use the drain plug on our vehicles.
View Quote

From my experience it all hinges on the hose used to do the suction. The crap units have a clear PVC or PE hose.

The best unit I had the suction end was like a teleflex cable without the wire inside -- one long thin coiled steel
spring, coated in rubber -- and I could feel it down the dipstick tube, then bend and bottom out on the lower
corner of the oil pan just by the drain. With that unit, when I pulled the drain plug I'd get a few drops of oil
at most, it literally sucked the pan dry.

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]
This guy works great.  https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/p/flotool-drain-pan-16-quart/700706_0_0?spps.s=962

You drain the oil into it.  Then you turn it upright and take off the cap and pour the oil out into your empty containers after the oil change.  I dont spill a drop.  Take the oil containers back to autozone, where they properly dispose of it for free.

I have a topside oil extractor.  It was cool to use a couple times.  But its slow.  And you have to get under the car to change the filter anyways.  And I never could tell if I had all the oil sucked out or not.  You'd have to insert the extractor hose the perfect distance to reach the bottom of the pan before the hose starts to curl around somewhere else.  IMO, the extractor will never be able to get out the old oil as well as pulling the drain plug.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This guy works great.  https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/p/flotool-drain-pan-16-quart/700706_0_0?spps.s=962

You drain the oil into it.  Then you turn it upright and take off the cap and pour the oil out into your empty containers after the oil change.  I dont spill a drop.  Take the oil containers back to autozone, where they properly dispose of it for free.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe3U3EJ23BOX1cdWaqn5tx44T2V4RC1frQTPQbqQr8Uo-J_k-gV2QSLqJsze4I920cXtU0hfHwVvpeaTDgGkBY_2K6okds_irnF5r89SLfE5YVCPSn1qW7CRI

I have a topside oil extractor.  It was cool to use a couple times.  But its slow.  And you have to get under the car to change the filter anyways.  And I never could tell if I had all the oil sucked out or not.  You'd have to insert the extractor hose the perfect distance to reach the bottom of the pan before the hose starts to curl around somewhere else.  IMO, the extractor will never be able to get out the old oil as well as pulling the drain plug.
View Quote

Loved those but have had two crack on me after a few years. Maybe because I like to change the oil when it’s good and hot. Switched to a nice thick plastic pan that’s at least twenty years old and all is good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a car lift so I have a roll around adjustable height 10 gallon or something catch drain.
Top Top