Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know context matters, I purposely left that out to get some unqualified responses.

We're dogsitting, but will be done next Friday so this has an end to it.  I'm mostly curious from an overall perspective.

It's happened a couple times where my 4 year old daughter is petting the dog laying down and the floor and the dog snaps at her, one time actually connected a little.  Scared her but didn't break skin or anything. The last time he did it I grabbed the dog by the collar to drag him outside, he snapped at me, I kicked his butt outside.

I haven't seen the kids do anything mean, they generally dote on the dog, always wanting to give him treats and stuff.  The dogs owners have 7 kids so it must be used to kids.  

I've never actually owned a dog but we're considering it after we buy some land.
View Quote

Petting is not any justification for the dog to have snapped. Put it down.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
These threads are always so illuminating.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Expected GD response: "Piss on the dog!"

This would usually be followed quickly by a new thread, "What does GD do when a dog bites off their dick?"
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think he should put someone else's dog down. It would be better to just keep his kids away from it, return it to the owner, and let them know that it nips at kids.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't think he should put someone else's dog down. It would be better to just keep his kids away from it, return it to the owner, and let them know that it nips at kids.
View Quote

I should have clarified knowing the context.

I'll correct my statement.

"Petting is no justification for snapping, the owner needs to put it down or you never sit it again OP:
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is generally a bad place to ask dog advice, marriage advice, medical advice, well just advice in general really.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To the dog or to the kid?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Doing that to a kid is generally frowned upon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:I'm hesitant to do that since it's not my dog ...
View Quote

Yeah, that's some sound thinking.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I am the Alpha
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Get your dog in a basic obedience class now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I've bitten their ear before.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To the dog or to the kid?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

Hard to blame a kid for petting a dog that you volunteered to dogsit.  

Sounds to me like the owners have a dog that’s okay with snapping at people.   Some owners are okay with a dog that snaps at them or their kids, and they assume everyone else should be okay with that, too.  

OP, I would have kenneled the dog after the first snap.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
A dog on my paper route, remember those, never liked me for whatever reason.  One day it got pretty close and threatening.  I had a rolled-up newspaper in my hand and smacked it hard across the face.  It was the nicest dog ever to me after that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Context matters.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#16]
OP has never owned a dog.

OP's kids have never "lived" with a dog.

OP acknowledges the dog may not be  trained very well.

OP agrees to dog sit.

Dog is in an unfamiliar environment, forced to interact with an unfamiliar "pack".

ARFOM GD: "Kill the dog"

This fuckin' place.........
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depends on if kid was teasing dog but it usually gets flipped over on its back and pinned to the ground. Or knocked across the room
View Quote

FPNI.

We got our dog when my son was 1.  He grabbed and yanked the shit out of her tail.  She snapped at him, but caught herself from actually biting (although her teeth did barely break the skin.)  I grabbed her and pinned her to the ground, holding her throat down while telling her no.  A couple of weeks later he got ahold of her again and she let that kid treat her like a jungle gym.  Obviously stopped the kid from pulling on her then gave praise and treat for doing what she's supposed to.

The biggest thing is addressing in the moment.  They need to be able to connect the punishment to the bad behavior
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This, unless it were a long time trusted dog and the kids Really asked for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get rid of the dog.  

This, unless it were a long time trusted dog and the kids Really asked for it.

Yep pretty much this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm hesitant to do that since it's not my dog, but if it actually hurt one of my kids I wouldn't hesitate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dog must be put down

I'm hesitant to do that since it's not my dog, but if it actually hurt one of my kids I wouldn't hesitate.

Intermediate option is to tell the owners that you didn’t sign up to get your kids bit, and they have X amount of time to select a boarding facility for you to take the dog to.

I would not dog sit a dog I didn’t know well, nor would I do it without the ability to confine the dog if problems arise.  As a dog owner, I would never ask someone who does not and has never owned a dog to dog sit.  That’s asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#20]
When my kids were little we had a dog that chased down and attacked a neighbors puppy, then attacked one of our other dogs.  Couldn’t trust him around kids had him put down.  0 tolerance.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Depends on what the kid is doing.

There are some unruly kids with no discipline that antagonize pets.  When they get bit, the parent decides to be a parent.  They get what they deserve.

There are some dogs that can't be rehabbed.  They're just aggressive and must be kept away from children or euthanized.

Context matters.  Keep yours kids and animals under control and these things don't happen.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

OP agrees to dog sit.

Dog is in an unfamiliar environment, forced to interact with an unfamiliar "pack".

View Quote

There are members who are unhinged, insecure beta males who live out alpha fantasies, and then you've got your run-of-the-mill social retards/outcasts.  

That's why relationship, pet, and "what would you do?" Threads on arfcom are total clownshoes.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#23]
In your case, just keep them separated until you are done watching the dog.  no need to take unnecessary risks.  Let the owner know what happened and not to bother asking you to dog sit in the future.  

If it was your dog, it would depend on the age and breed of the dog.  In our case, we were bringing a child into a home where a GSD's place in the pecking order was already well established.  All we needed to do was to re-establish the pecking order with the kid above him.  We did that in several ways.  First there was an immediate physical correction if the dog showed any type of aggression.  Even a simple change in dogs demeanor would get it scolded and banished from the room.  Then we started separating the dog from the family when we were on the floor playing with the kid.  We used a toddle fence or door gate so the dog could still see us, but wasn't allowed to join in the fun.  We also had the kid feed the dog or let the kid play in the dog's food, while the dog was forced to sit patiently and watch.  And finally, we tied the dogs leash to the stroller when we went for walks.  IMO, nothing establishes dominance fast than leash/choker training.  After a couple weeks of that, the pecking order was re-established and the dog stopped seeing the kid as an equal.  From then on, there was never an issue and the dog took on his intended roll as the protector rather than a simple sibling.  

Different dogs or breeds may need different methods, but IF it is a decent dog to begin with, it shouldn't take long.  It's usually just a pecking order thing, which is nothing more than pack instincts.  If you have a shit dog, or are a shit owner that treats their dogs like humans, you may have a much more difficult time.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread shows who has raised Dogs and who has not.

First off a Dog is an animal, and you need to understand how they think.
I had a mutt who was a great dog but one day my sister came over and
grabbed him by the ears and got in his face, he wanted to rip her face off.
She was clearly at fault. so I yelled at her and not the dog.

My daughter has a GSD and a mutt and I'm surprised at what they allow her
to do to them as she is checking their skin, ears, and doctoring them etc.
They know she is taking care of them so they permit it without any fuss.
My daughter was raised around dogs her whole life and understands them.
She sees when they've had enough and doesn't push past that point.

The issue many times is failure to see the signs and to act appropriately.
I had a beautiful Female GSD who was awesome with children and she would
allow toddlers to hug her.  it still had me on guard as they did since she was
still an animal and could react as one, and I never had an issue with her.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know context matters, I purposely left that out to get some unqualified responses.

We're dogsitting, but will be done next Friday so this has an end to it.  I'm mostly curious from an overall perspective.

It's happened a couple times where my 4 year old daughter is petting the dog laying down and the floor and the dog snaps at her, one time actually connected a little.  Scared her but didn't break skin or anything. The last time he did it I grabbed the dog by the collar to drag him outside, he snapped at me, I kicked his butt outside.

I haven't seen the kids do anything mean, they generally dote on the dog, always wanting to give him treats and stuff.  The dogs owners have 7 kids so it must be used to kids.  

I've never actually owned a dog but we're considering it after we buy some land.
View Quote

So the dog is clearly indicating that it is uncomfortable with the behavior (unfamiliar kid encroaching on it while it is vulnerable laying down). The dog probably has offered several indications prior to the snaps that it isn’t happy with the events. And the adult in charge hasn’t intervened by removing the child from the situation, so the dog feels the need to handle it himself. The dog is showing remarkable restraint in not actually injuring the kid. Why aren’t the adults in charge monitoring and intervening before it gets to that point? Why let a kid continue to pester a dog that clearly doesn’t want that attention?

The dog may be completely fine with kids it knows and adults it trusts to intervene when appropriate. And the adults support that by enforcing boundaries, supervising interaction, and intervening when necessary. No problems noted. Change families and locations and the dog not getting the intervention it needs when it asks for it, and problems arise.

Keep the dog separated from the kids if you can’t recognize stress signs. Tell the dog’s family that they need to find a boarding kennel to take the dog to if you can’t keep it separated from the kids. And don’t dog sit again.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Fix the resource guarding that is probably causing the issue.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I told my wife when my son was born - our current dog is the best dog I've ever had, and it's not even close. However, if she ever shows real aggression toward our kids I will take her into the garage and windmill her into the concrete.

Dogs are family, until they even consider hurting my kids. Luckily, my dog is remarkably sweet and tolerant of my son.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted: It's happened a couple times where my 4 year old daughter is petting the dog laying down and the floor and the dog snaps at her, one time actually connected a little.  Scared her but didn't break skin or anything. The last time he did it I grabbed the dog by the collar to drag him outside, he snapped at me, I kicked his butt outside.

View Quote

I had a red Dobie,and he'd do that. I had the talk with the kids and inform them about him, that he'd take them for awhile but when he had enough, they need to get away from him. We used a code word- "Humptyfratz". When they hear me say that, it's time to get up and get away from the dog. SO, I'd say it, even when it wasn't critical, to get them used to automatically reacting.  SO, much fun training kids and dogs at the same time....lol

He'd take all he could with kids crawling on him and pulling on his ears, etc. but when he had enough, he'd grab their arm in his mouth, not bear down, and immediately let go and look at me, and I'd jump up and say the word and let him out.

You can NEVER ignore your kids around a dog. I taught my kids,- if they have teeth they will bite, if they have claws, they will scratch. If it's a skunk, it WILL spray you, and YOU sleep outside for a month.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Owners are useless idiots. Dog chases cars and barks at people all day.  It can sit and shake for a great bit is otherwise poorly trained.

I'm mostly interested in my own edification for possible future dog ownership.

My assumption is that with most family friendly dog breeds, if you raise it from a pup, have kids and the kids behave, you're less likely to have problems like these.
View Quote

Why would agree to watch a known idiot dog, with “useless idiots” for owners?

Let me guess, they are at Disney with their 7 kids, maxing out more credit cards?

ETA- maybe the dog is so tired of all those damn kids, that it is trying to escape? That’s why it chases cars and barks. It’s trying to hitch a ride
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My 10 year old GSD snapped at my niece that jumped on him while he was asleep. She receved one stitch on her chin. No one blamed the dog, he's 14 now and loves my 1 year old, we're just careful.

I was ready to take him to be put down, but my sister apologized profusely and didn't want that to happen.

I'd say it's completely situation dependent
View Quote

This, my nephew got bit when he stepped on their dogs leg, leg was in a cast from being hit by a car.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dog must be put down
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got nipped a few times as a kid. Fucking around with a working dog.

My dad didn't shoot the dog or beat it. He kicked my ass for fucking with it.
View Quote

100% situational.
I got bit as a kid (8ish yo) and it was 100% my fault and a warning from the dog (minor skin break on the hand I was harrassing the dog with) and my parents told me to stop messing with the dog.
My friend's 4yo sister had her face ripped near in half by their dog for absolutely no reason. Damn thing should have been put down.

Age of the kid has a lot to do with it, as does bite location and quantity/severity.
A small kid nipped on the hand without skin puncture or very minor skin puncture is probably a dog that should be kept away from kids or a kid that needs to be educated on how to interact with dogs.

A bite to the face, especially multiple strikes = dead dog unless its something ridiculous (like a kid holding a dog by the ears and biting its nose- and yes, I've taken care of that kid in the ER)

Dogs know to give small kids a wider birth and more warnings/grace, and parents should know to keep smaller kids away from unfamiliar dogs or dogs that are giving warnings.

I've got two 90 lbs pound hounds and while I was cautious when we first brought our first son home they've proven themselves as perfect family dogs. We even refer to the younger as nanny because of how he interacts with the kids/us.

But my wife has been training dogs since she was 10, her mom bread terriers (terrorists ), I've had dogs my whole life and taken both of our current dogs through multiple levels of professional training.

Dogs are individuals, but breading shows through. The safest bet is a family oriented breed from a reputable breeder.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or how about be the alpha and just correct the dog and put it in its place?

Which is hard to do for the poor OP who's never owned a dog apparently.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Intermediate option is to tell the owners that you didn’t sign up to get your kids bit, and they have X amount of time to select a boarding facility for you to take the dog to.

I would not dog sit a dog I didn’t know well, nor would I do it without the ability to confine the dog if problems arise.  As a dog owner, I would never ask someone who does not and has never owned a dog to dog sit.  That’s asking for trouble.
View Quote

This is what I would do.  

If not that, I'd buy a cage and the dog stays in the cage until owner returns.  Owner pays you back for the cage.  Even if the owner doesn't pay you back, it's a $100ish to ensure your kid doesn't get hurt for the remainder of the time - chalk it up as a cheap/affordable lesson so the next time, you don't dog sit for shitty owners.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

OP agrees to dog sit.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#36]
The majority of the time when a kid gets bit by a dog they had it coming.

When my wife and I first got together I had a Rottweiler,, one of the best dogs I have ever had. She didn’t tolerate a lot of being fucked with however and would growl and show her teeth when she was done with whatever you were doing to her.  Well my wife doesn’t seem to understand boundaries with dogs whatsoever and Bella bit her three or four times on the hand over the years.  Every time she would come to me and complain about the dog and every time I would ask what happened. The story was always along the lines of I was doing x to Bella and she started growling and eventually bit me. Some people have no common sense.

Also, if you have a heeler or know a heeler chances are you're going to get bit on the ankle at least once.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:As a dog owner, I would never ask someone who does not and has never owned a dog to dog sit.  That’s asking for trouble.
View Quote

And a person who has never been a dog owner shouldn't be offering to dog sit.

Especially when they perceive the dog owner hasn't or doesn't train the dog or make it behave.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So the dog is clearly indicating that it is uncomfortable with the behavior (unfamiliar kid encroaching on it while it is vulnerable laying down). The dog probably has offered several indications prior to the snaps that it isn’t happy with the events. And the adult in charge hasn’t intervened by removing the child from the situation, so the dog feels the need to handle it himself. The dog is showing remarkable restraint in not actually injuring the kid. Why aren’t the adults in charge monitoring and intervening before it gets to that point? Why let a kid continue to pester a dog that clearly doesn’t want that attention?

The dog may be completely fine with kids it knows and adults it trusts to intervene when appropriate. And the adults support that by enforcing boundaries, supervising interaction, and intervening when necessary. No problems noted. Change families and locations and the dog not getting the intervention it needs when it asks for it, and problems arise.

Keep the dog separated from the kids if you can’t recognize stress signs. Tell the dog’s family that they need to find a boarding kennel to take the dog to if you can’t keep it separated from the kids. And don’t dog sit again.
View Quote

Thank you for typing all of that out.

A huge portion if GD will fail to understand the logic in your post
and still blame the dog.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#39]
There are dogs that have bit someone and dogs that have not bit anyone.... yet.  Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Man, I feel sorry for some of y'alls dogs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Teach it a lesson. Rub it's nose in the kid.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

OP agrees to dog sit.

View Quote

There are people that have no ability to bond with animals or humans, have never touched a tit since they unlatched from their mothers when they were ten, and are insanely jealous of the bond between dogs and owners. If they're not already greybarred, they have notes (available to gold+ members) indicating they're various types of whack-job (they tend to be left-leaning).
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#44]
some dogs need shot.

some kids are just assholes.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What do you all recommend to do when a dog snaps or nips at kids?

I'm no dog expert, been reading a lot on the Internet but I'm curious as to what GD has to say.
View Quote

Find a new home for the dog...a home with no kids in it.

I'm not risking my kids face/body/life on a bet than I can train that behavior out of a dog.  It only takes one good bite to the face to scar the kid for life...if not worse.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#46]
If kid is being an asshole get rid of dog

If dog is being an asshole the 12g boat ferries dog to the next world

I love dogs but I'd kill 100,000 to save 1 kid
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Dogs can't talk. But I can tell you this, if it was going to bite it would have. It's nipping, snapping behaviour is saying "leave me alone". So teach your children to leave the dog alone then never dog sit again.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Alpha roll on their back, pin them straight down. I've seen people say hold them by the neck and growl at them too. Which if the problem was egregious enough and I'm pissed off enough I might do (haven't had to yet).

I won't have a dog that my family/"pack" or I need to worry about.

I love dogs... but have zero issue correcting bad behavior.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There are members who are unhinged, insecure beta males who live out alpha fantasies, and then you've got your run-of-the-mill social retards/outcasts.  

That's why relationship, pet, and "what would you do?" Threads on arfcom are total clownshoes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP agrees to dog sit.

They make for great reading though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#50]
We have a large shepherd dog. She has never snapped at my kiddos

Went to a family gig where a large lab started coming at my kiddo growling and I smacked the absolute dog shit out of that dog. It whined and ran

Everyone looked at me like I was a asshole

I still dont care and would smack the fuck out of that dog again
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top